General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back into Tri after 5 Years! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-25 12:28 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Back into Tri after 5 Years!
Circa 2004... I quit triathlon. Wife, Job, house, and a masters degree made me re-evaluate how much time there was in a day. I have competed in lifesaving since 1995, so I have stayed in great shape. Just dropped the tri training.

I called up my "once my local bike shop that is 2 hours away now" last week and told them I wanted to get back into tri's and I asked them what they had available that would fit me. They said welcome back and we have some great deals for you...see you Saturday? And off I went!

I sat on 10 bikes. They were all far-far advanced and tech'd out from my 2002 Trek HILO/Dura-Ace/Rolf Comp Wheels. I couldn't believe that I was getting back in the saddle. The bikes really look different and I asked what SPRAM was and everyone in the shop laughed at me! I asked, "where is the ultegra and dura-ace?"

Long story short, the FUJI D6 blew away every bike I sat on (I weigh 185. 6'.)
I properly fitted for 5 hours and test rode 10 bikes. Pulled out the speed gun, did some tt's, did some sprints and the D6 was outstanding and I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON IT.

Monday I had to give it an OFFICIAL test. I did a common TT in Bethany Beach Delaware. Flat-Straight Out & Back 10 miles with the Indian River Inlet Bridge at the turn Around. At 24 years old in 04', I averaged 25.1 on my best day. 5 years later I averaged 27.5 on my first day back on a bike in 5 years. The question to you, "IS IT THE BIKE?"

I was laughing and giggling all the way home on my 5 mile cool down as I thought it would take me 2 years to get back to the fitness I once had (on tri terms). I didn't think that I would ever get better then my young ripped 21 year old self. But I was way faster. Is it the bike? Maybe I am fresh and I have a little bit of the kid back in me that I had before I did my first tri at 16 years old? What ever it is, I will take it. But can a bike make you that much faster?

If the science of the bike is making me go faster, what else could I upgrade on the STOCK FUJI
D6?
The wheels? Crank to a 55/11? Bars? Spram Red? Tires? I am not a tri geek at all. I will not even use a bike-computer. Just a basic wrist watch. But if I can bike faster and spend a couple bucks, I will. What about the Reynolds wheels on the FUJI D6 Pro...are they faster? A disc?

Thanks,
Steve O

Edited by 100%endurance 2009-09-25 12:57 PM

2009-09-25 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2426355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Back into Tri after 5 Years!
waiting for a picture of Spam
2009-09-25 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SPRAM?

27.5 MPH average?

5 hour fitting?

*scratching head*
2009-09-25 1:16 PM

User image

New user

why are you waiting for a spam image?

what's funny about not knowing what spram is? more or less, i have only ever used campy or shimano. i never heard of spram. I am just trying to gather a discussion on if I should bother trying to upgrade anything else at my height,weight,ability etc?

anyways, some help would be nice. but I am guess i m on the WRONG page for that? 

2009-09-25 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Welcome back to the sport!   Yup, technology is amazing, I bought my TB in 06, the next year everything was becoming carbon.

Your cranking some speed there, I'm sure some of the fast riders will chime in.  Seems to me you would benefit from some more aerodynamics, go for some wheels, maybe even with a power tap. You can get a disk cover too for most rear wheels.  Check out HED or Zipps website for more info on aero wheels.

Oh its SRAM not SPRAM or SPAM!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back into Tri after 5 Years! Rss Feed