Keller Pointe Fitness Center
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 7, had some water, got dressed and headed out to meet Steve and Britani at packet pick-up

Got the packet and chip picked up, set up and watched with others the little kids running the 1 mile race. Was fun to watch

Bumped into Doughboy and had a nice visit
Event warmup:

Very short, slow jog around a big traffic circle just to burn off some nervous energy and loosen up the legs
Run
  • 27m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this run with no expectations except to finish. Oh well, maybe not that. I was hoping to break 30 minutes, which would have been about a 9:40 pace.

Started running at what felt like a comfortable pace, and I remember thinking as I'd look at my Garmin that -- "Brett, you're going to fast, you're gonna hit the wall". But I kept feeling good. Mile one came along and showed 9:07 and I thought -- WOW, this feels great! Just past the mile 1 marker, The course made a turn with a gradual climb, then a fairly steep climb. I felt surprisingly strong on the climb, and pushed through it, but realized later I may have pushed a little too hard on it. Pace as I recall stayed well below 9:30 for the climb, and I made up some pace on the 2nd half of mile 2 with a good downhill, Got into sub 8 country for a short time. Started mile three, and the course flattened out again, as was the same route as mile 1. I could tell I was getting a little tired, but not terrible, as I found myself breathing much harder and started to get a little bit of a stomach cramp.

Steve was doing his first 5k, and did really well, we stayed pretty much together ( within talking distance) for most of the first 2.25 miles. He'd get in front of me, and then it would change. He had more juice in the tank at the end though as he pulled away from me at mile 2.4 or so and I told him to push it in. He beat me by 27 seconds in the end.

Saw the finish line and headed in. Crossed the line, exstatic when I saw I blew my goal pace OUT OF THE PARK!
What would you do differently?:

Be confident, but manage pace a bit better on the climb. I pushed through it pretty hard and it affected my result in mile 3.

I'm extremely pleased with my results, regardless. It felt so good to run again, and even though my pace was not my fastest ever, I felt like I am definately back in the game as it were. I'm excited for the next one.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off had a half bagel, banana, and a bottle of water. Sat down with Steve and Britni under a tree, resting, and waiting for results to post.

We then went to Cracker Barrel and had a GREAT BIG BREAKFAST!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rebuilding. Pushing too hard on the climb.

Overall though, there was very little I'd change, aside from getting in better shape so my pace can continue to improve.

Event comments:

For a small 5k/10k event it went extremely well. Staff was pretty organized. The course was very well marked and had lots of police 'coverage' at critical intersections, a decent number of volunteers along the way (could have used a couple more, but not bad) and the event went out ON TIME.

Results started posting very quickly after finish.

I'll definately consider doing this race again, but might upgrade to the 10k.

Last updated: 2009-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9:07 Mile 2 - 8:56 Mile 3 - 9:18 My Pace 2.98 Miles -- 9:08 pace ----- Official 3.10 Miles - 8:45 pace (I'll take this one... ;) )
Course: Certified USTAF Certified course, so should be 3.11 miles, but Garmin shows the route as 2.98 miles. First and third mile very flat, mile two has a pretty good climb, but it is offset by a pretty good downhill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes