Susan G. Komen For the Cure
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 30s
Overall Rank = 216/1679
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the butt crack of dawn. It wasn't even dawn, it was still dark out. Got dressed, drove to train. Ate breakfast cookie and gatorade on ride to downtown. It is always cool to watch people walk to the event.
Event warmup:

My normal routine. Walk around. Wait in the porto-potty line. Do my business. Actually did a little stretching. This was a huge event. Not quite the Triathlon but they said they had over 10,000 people. There was a 10k race, 5k race and 5k walk. I got emotional when the survivors of breast cancer were up on the stage being recognized. Once the announcer mentioned those who were not with us, I thought I would lose it. Wish my family was here to witness this. Had to be my luck that I was behind a bunch of frat brothers from Iowa, Penn State's opponent tonight in football. I think I passed them!!!!
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I am slow, it is like my legs weigh a ton. But I am pretty sure it is my weight and pace. I am not very technical, my stride is terrible. During the part under Wacker Drive, my Garmin went out so my watch time and official time are different. I thought I got under 27 minutes. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Lose 25 pounds. Get some people to run with. It always sucks to be there at a race with no one beside you.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around again. Took as many freebies as I could possibly fit into my bag. Ate a bagel. Watched the dancers by the stage. It was nice. Very upbeat and positive. Forgive my sexism, but there was definitely a lot of eye candy. But overall it was a good feeling to be there. It hit home and I immediately wanted my wife to get a mammogram. (Saw a girl with a shirt that read, "Save My Itty Bitty Titties"!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides being slow. My weight!

Event comments:

This was worth the hike downtown. It is not as easy as it was to go to Chicago races when you live in the burbs but this was worth it.

Side note, my PF hurts like a friggin' dickens. WTF? Do I go see someone? Or continue to stretch it out?

Last updated: 2009-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:30 | 03.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 216/1679
Performance: Average
Course: Wound through downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3