General Discussion Race Reports! » Chambersburg YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chambersburg YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
United States
Chambersburg YMCA
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 59s
Overall Rank = 42/73
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 14/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5AM and double checked that I had everything packed up. I got on the road by 5:30AM. On the road I drank a large coffee with a scoop of whey protein powder. I also at a Nutrigrain bar.

Event warmup:

I have had very tight calf muscles for the past couple of days so I did the pre-run warm-up routine and stretched my calf muscles, hamstrings and my back so I could somewhat prepare for the swim. This was in a pool so no warm up was available.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pool swim with two people per lane. The guy in my lane explained that he had not put the time in to train right so he was concerned about completing the 500 yd swim. I had just timed myself in 500 yds swims twice and both times I finished right at 11 - 11:10 so that's what I was expecting. During the swim there was incidental contact each time I passed my lane partner. It was minimal and no big deal. Suddenly, wham! I got kicked hard in the ribs, stopping me in the water. The pain wasn't that bad but it was definitely a shock. I looked over and saw that my lane partner had abandoned the craw and was doing the breast stroke, complete with proper kick. Oh well.. time to get moving and refocus. LOL

After the swim, the men had to walk from our pool, through the area with the pool for the ladies, out through the lobby and to the transition. I was barefoot so I literally walked it so as not to fall.
What would you do differently?:

Discuss swimming strokes with lane partner and ask to be careful of kicking.

Bring sandals or flip flops so I can safely move to transition much faster.

Push myself harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

We have no exact split times but I kept an eye on my watch. I know I got out of the pool in 12 min but I mounted the bike at 8:15.

I think that once I got to transition, I moved OK getting helmet and shoes on and I ran to mount with bike shoes on.
Bike
  • 58m
  • 16 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

16.55 is my highest average MPH thus far this year. (started biking the last week of June) I really wish I had been more familiar with this course because there were several instances where I found myself suddenly having to turn so I had to get on the brakes. In addition, I had caught and passed a female rider but after I did I felt very lost. While this course was nice and rolling, there were also a lot of turns and I had no idea what was coming up. At one point, the road we were on turned left so I also veered that way. The female rider yelled for me and let me know that we were to go straight. Had she not been there I wouldn't have turned around and I would have wasted a ton of time. I wish I was in better shape because I became her pace booty for the rest of the ride. ;-)

Ride the course before race day. I think there is a lot to course management in biking. Still, I can't be upset about a PR average MPH. I really loved the ride but I have to admit that my legs were starting to get pretty cold.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Nothing fancy here. I dismounted, jogged my bike back to rack with bike shoes on, and changed into my running shoes. The bike rack situation was very crowded so I staggered my bike the opposite way due to someone snugging up to my spot.

I'm just guessing that the transition time was 1 min. That shouldn't be too far off.

In a sprint, I may try riding in my running shoes and using my cages to be able to save time in both transitions.
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This is just a basic out and back course. Just like at my only other tri, I have issues with my legs right off the bike. Today, the weather was cool and with me being wet, my legs were very cold when I got off the bike. As I started to run, they seemed to be on autopilot. I wanted to push harder but they just wouldn't do it. I don't feel like I got control of my legs until the turn around. I knew I only had 1.5 miles so I felt like I pushed the run harder than I had ever done in training. Last week, my PR during a 5 mile run was 9:59 min/mile. Today in the 5k it was 9.32 min/mile but I feel like the first half of my run was between 10-11 min/mile.

I have to figure out how to get control of my legs after the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Basically just walked around and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more time to develop all three aspects.

Event comments:

I don't have enough tri experience to compare races but I was very impressed with how friendly everyone was. There was volunteers at nearly every turn and they were prompt on their times. The bike route was very nice with so many rolling hills. It reminded me of a wooden roller coasters.

Last updated: 2009-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 500 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/73
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Laps in pool
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:00 | 16 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course is very rolling hills with none being long and difficult. There are some very difficult turns where I did need to brake before turning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:59 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Average
I know that when I left the transition, it was at 9:15 and with a finish time at 9:42:59, my run was around 28:59 min.
Course: Out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes