General Discussion Race Reports! » Chambersburg YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chambersburg YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
United States
Chambersburg YMCA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 12/75
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:00 and got my stuff loaded in the van. ate 2 eggs.
got to the event and looked for people i knew would be there, and for any other faces i would recall from other events.
Event warmup:

none. i stand around and chat, look at other bikes and people walking around. see who looks seriously competitive. eat a granla bar and down a "5 hour energy" drink about 25 minues before i start.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

when i was in T1 i heard someone saying that its 10 minutes into the race, so i figured i made i tout in ~10 minutes.
first off, i thought the pool was HOT!!! i underestimated my swim time when i registered, so that made me the first one out of the pool in my wave somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes. my swim time was slightly hampered by the pool i train at being closed for 3 weeks, and then only being able to swim about 5 times from the time it reopened. so my training for this race was sub-par coming out of summer. oh well, i was still satisfied.
What would you do differently?:

try my best to make every minute of my swim training count.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 wasnt bad, you just arent supposed to run around the pool deck inside the building in fear of slipping. so i tried to moderately jog. once again, i swam in a pool without a shirt and ended up wasting time trying to get a shirt on in transition. i gotta stop doing that same thing, expecting a different result.

swim with a shirt on.
Bike
  • 53m
  • 16 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

just guessing at my time here. being in the first wave, and the first one out of the water, i had no one to play catch-up to. on top of that, my bike computer froze up .8 mile into the ride. so i had no way to check my cadence, speed, or time. i just made sure that my legs were spinning fast and that i was breathing hard, and i would be about the pace that im used to. i kept checking over my should though to make sure no speed freak on another bike was creeping up on me. so i tried instead to play a little "keep away" in my mind to distance myself from other riders.

update my bike computer batteries.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

stinkin mess! i was unclear/not thinking of where i had to come into T2 from the bike and ended up riding up in front of the building instead of returning to transition where we left from. so that turning around cost me at least 10 seconds, which could have bumped me up to 11th place instead of 12th. so i was a little disappointed that i didnt think to verify that while waiting around ebfore the race, and disappointed that the race helpers didnt tell me where to go until after i had made a wrong turn. no one was pointing saying "hey come on, this way". but, that is ultimately my responsibility as a racer to know.

know where to come in and out of all transitions.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile

keep building up more miles so i can get that time down.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a drink and waited around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ehh, i guess not being able to swim enough in the last 6 weeks. other than that, just self limitations on time in training for the bike and run. but i am pleased overall.

Event comments:

nice race. fun bike course. decent pool. lots of volunteers and festivites. fast results posting. i wish the age group brackets would have been split up differently. being in the 30-39 age group, i placed 7th. but if it would have been split up 30-34, i would have been 2nd in AG. but again, oh well. thats the race! and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2009-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 547 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:00 | 16 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: twisty and rolling hills. and very fun!
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
just guessing from my other times combined.
Course: out and back. moderately flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes