General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, Maryland
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Ate a powerbar and drank a cup of coffee in the hotel room. Drove to the high school where the finish area was, left my special needs bag and rode the trolley to the race start. Set up my bike, which was racked the night before with fluids and nutrition. Hung bike gear bag on my numbered hook, ate a little more, drank a little, put on wetsuit halfway and went to stand in line at the porta john one last time. They called us to the water and had jet skis drive the swim course. When it took the jet skis going full tilt what seemed like forever to go around the course I thought...oh crap what did I get myself into!
Swim
  • 1h 24m 1s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first 2.4 mile swim in a race condition. I have swam the distance in the river before, but it was at an easy pace without a few hundred others around me. I was a little intimidated by the swim as it is definately my weakest discipline and it was less than 3 years ago that 50 yards without stopping was an accomplishment. The down leg was smooth and with the waves, when we made the first turn the chop was coming from the side, but when we turned for the leg back towards the start it was straight into the chop with the sun in your face. It was a little tough sighting with the waves and sun, every time you would look forward to sight you were greeted with a wave in your face. It was the longest of the 4 sides of the rectangular course as you had to swim past the start to the bouy by the exit ramp. After my first loop I thought hey that wasnt too bad, one more to go! I finished the swim, feeling good and really confident for IMFL!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I could have pushed harder, but really what differnce would even 10 minutes make if I came out gassed.
Transition 1
  • 09m 37s
Comments:

I had to laugh when I saw my T1 time. In sprints and oly distances I am usually very fast in transitions. I had a coach tell me that it is 'free time' so I have practiced technique and am usually in the top few for transitions. I had decided to take this one easy, dry off, get changed, get something to drink, I figured a few extra minutes would be worth the comfort on the bike. But over 9 minutes! I could have ordered breakfast in that time!

Maybe not take it quite so leisurely! :)
Bike
  • 5h 26m 29s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. It was challenging with the headwinds but I pushed through them and took advantage of the few tail winds that we got. One section was the roughest washboard road that I have ever ridden on. It probably was only a mile or so, but felt like 10! Knowing that you got to enjoy it again on the second loop was not fun, but good mental training as I told myself when I hit that stretch again I will almost be done, so I was looking forward to it. I hit the Century mark at 4:55 and knew that I could break the 5:30 for the full distance.

Nothing really, I felt good and was happy with my performance. One thing I did learn for IMFL is that I want to put the bottle cage on my frame in addition to my rear seat bottles. When I got to the first bottle handoff I took a water and filled my aero bottle but then had no place to put the bottle. So I want to have two of my bottles on the back with my nutrition and then I can use the frame bottle cage for bottle exchanges.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was done as I was just doing the Aqua Velo
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Got some cold pizza and warm soda. Took a shower in the gym locker room. Got a massage and then we loaded up the car to drive to Naylors Beach triathlon that we were doing the next day.

Event comments:

It is a very small and low key event. The volunteers were great. The post race for the Aqua Velo seemed to be lacking a little bit. Warm sodas and cold pizza isnt my idea of refueling. 3 race T-shirts which at first I thought was cool, but then realized that two were advertising some event next year and the actual race shirt had a misprint on it with the swim being listed as 1.2 miles!

Last updated: 2009-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:01 | 4224 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangular - two loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:26:29 | 112 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course is pancake flat, with an out and back and then a big loop that you do 2x.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-27 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon

2009-09-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2428832

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon
Great job! And unbelievable that you did another tri the next day.
2009-09-28 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
great job! (you do know you can fill out a RR for JUST the AV, right? )

Did you miss the soup in the gym? that was awesome !!

sweet mph avg on the bike
2009-09-28 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

double post!

Edited by trishie 2009-09-28 10:26 AM
2009-09-28 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice job.  Cold pizza was gone when I finished would have been nice.  Yes very low key. 
2009-09-28 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Nice bike split! Can't wait for Florida! Keep in touch we can get together down there

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon Rss Feed