Run Wild MultiSports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 48s
Overall Rank = 75/401
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, loaded up the truck and headed to the race site around 5:45. Got there around 6 and got transition set-up. Drank around 16 oz. of weak Gatorade (made from powder). Didn't eat anything since I forgot my nutrition at the hotel. No big deal, only a sprint. Believe me, have plenty of reserves...
Event warmup:

0.5 mile jog followed by bathroom stop. 100 yard swim right before lining up for time trial swim start.
Swim
  • 13m 59s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Must have been short though since this matches my pool times for a medium-hard effort and I know I lose some seconds per hundred in open water. Everyone swam the same course though, so I'll take it. Decided against the wetsuit even though they announced it would be legal. Didn't want to overheat. Overheated at N.O. HIM and that water was 72, so 77 would definitely have been too hot. Had #158 so didn't have too much congestion to deal with due to the time trial start. Clean water most of the time, swam straight and felt good. Velcro on my watch broke about 100 in and it fell off and is now at the bottom of the Cane River.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my watch velcro isn't worn out:)
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Good T1. T1 was long this year due to the amount of participants. Fumbled with my helmet a little bit, so lost a couple of seconds. Went ahead and put my race belt on to save time in T2.

Not fumble with my helmet strap and snap.
Bike
  • 59m 31s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of T1 and up the hill that starts at the mount line without falling over. Slid my first foot in my shoe and then the second. Shoe tongue got caught on my toe and got pushed to end of shoe. Had to take my foot out, fix it and put it back in my shoe. Ride felt good, felt like I pushed a little hard on the way out, but negative split. It is more downhill on the way back in though. Hills weren't too bad and this is my third time on this course so I knew what to expect. Did a lot of passing and only got passed by 6-8 people. First time that I have averaged over 20 for a race of any distance. Flying dismount in to T2.

More speedwork on the bike to be able to push harder in shorter races. More hill training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Already had number on, so saved a few seconds there.

Nothing. Typically have fast transitions and this race was no different. Easy place to pick up time if you practice them.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt heavy and couldn't get good turnover. Last mile was tough, but knowing that I had my nemesis trying to run me down kept me plugging along. Also, just like the bike, lack of speedwork for the short stuff held me back some. Definitely need to concentrate on adding speedwork back in for shorter races next year. Been scared to put it back in with the heal problems I had earlier in the year, and don't want to risk it before the HIM in 6 weeks.

Run faster. Do more speedwork and more overall weekly mileage.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my wife and got a congratulatory smooch. Hung out with the BR Tri crew and cheered everyone in. Ate 3 meat pies, 4 pancakes, 2 sausage patties, 2 cokes, bottle of water and cup of Heed recovery drink (nasty). Sat under the BR Tri tent for the awards, where BR Tri won club challenge, and the disc wheel draw. Helped take the tents down and put them in my truck to take home. Back to hotel to shower and drive back to Baton Rouge.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My focus on long and moderate for HIM in 6 weeks limited time to do speedwork on bike and run. Improved 6 minutes from last year though, so can't be too upset. Beat my friendly nemesis also, which was just icing on the cake. Have to give him a shout out though since he knocked 35 minutes off his time for last year. He wins greatest improvement award.

Event comments:

Meat Pie is a good local race. Natchitoches is a quaint little town with historic things to do if you or the family are interested in that type of thing. Race directors do great job.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:59 | 800 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/35
Overall: 0/401
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Straight out, short turn, straight back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:31 | 20 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/35
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, out and back. "Long" hill by Louisiana standards from mile 6.5 to 7.5.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:41 | 03.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/35
Performance: Average
Course: Up a staircase (25 steps?) from T2 to the street above. Over the bridge, flat out and back in a partially shaded neighborhood along the Cane River.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes