United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 42m 39s
Overall Rank = 133/510
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 31/83
Pre-race routine:

Wake up. Downed a 5 hr energy and a pint of water. Had a stomach ache because I went to dinner in New Haven the night before and ate a big meal and had a couple beers. Met my wife's friend at the commuter lot and the 3 of us drove over. It was raining and the field was thin. They only show results for 510 people, but I think there were more...but still not the biggest event.
Event warmup:

Registered, walked around. With about 15 to go, I shed the rain coat and just got ready by jogging about a quarter mile and walking another quarter mile to the race start. Met up with a couple more of Shelbie's friends who were doing the 5k and also saw Amy and talked to her for awhile. She's a superstar. She won her age doing her "tempo training run" for the Marine Corps Marathon...super fast. This was my first run race so I was just trying to think about my pacing and how fast I should try and go.
Run
  • 1h 42m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out and felt alright. Then, about 1 mile in my shins cramped up and I thought I was done for. I was just in pain for the next 3 miles forcing myself to keep it under 8min miles hoping it would go away. My wife passed me about 2 miles in. I didn't even try to follow. I was hurting. Then, I must have loosened it up because it went away.

It was raining and some spots were super windy. There were a couple of hills and one of them zapped me a little bit because you run up it while getting blasted by a headwind coming off the water as the rain hits you in the face.

It was sort of just a normal run, and I just said going in that I wanted to keep it under 8min miles. I've never actually done a run race so wasn't sure how fast I could run and hold because I've never tried. Definitely happy with my effort and I might have been able to shave a little bit of time in the middle of the race, but I was uncertain how I would hold up and didn't want to blow it.

With a couple miles to go, I caught a glimpse of my wife and I tried to pick it up a little. I eventually passed her with about a mile to go and encouraged her to pick it up so we could finish together. I ended up beating her by about a minute, which is good because she posted on facebook talking about how I was going to eat her dust. I just kept quiet and let her think she'd definitely beat me...shhhhh! I paced myself pretty well I think. I might have been able to gut out a slightly faster last 3 miles but I was starting to hurt a little.

Nutrition: I just ate a Gu right before the race and drank gatorade on the drive over with half a banana. I didn't feel like eating much after the dinner I ate. I drank a couple sips of water and power ade on the course but nothing major. For something less than 2 hrs, I've realized I can just do it without anything...That is how I train generally and I don't want to be slowed down.
What would you do differently?:

lose weight, run more...but I won't because I like to bike alot.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little. I instantly cramped up bad as I crossed the finish line. I ate a banana and a couple of donut holes. I went to my car and changed because I was freezing. I tried to stretch, but I was sore and I've never felt it hit me so quick after a workout.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

didn't I already answer this?

Event comments:

Good race, pretty happy with my performance. I'm happy I was able to finish every mile under 8 minutes. My next step is to break 1:40 and then break 1:50 in my next HIM.

Last updated: 2009-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:39 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/83
Overall: 133/510
Performance: Good
7:34/7:41/7:50/7:50/7:48/7:47/7:54/7:47/7:59/7:55/7:37/7:44/7:47/6:42
Course: Double loop course starting out at Rocky Hill park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 4:01 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Niantic Bay Half Marathon

2009-09-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2429107

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Niantic Bay Half Marathon
Geesh...wanna come run my HIM???  great job Jayson!!!

2009-09-28 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2429107

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Niantic Bay Half Marathon

Nice race. Next time skip the beers the night before and save for post race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niantic Bay Half Marathon Rss Feed