General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season Goals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 10:59 AM

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: Off Season Goals?
What is the goal of off-season workouts? My next tri is in May. Until then, should I just be trying to do volume and distance? Enjoy the offseason, etc? My current thinking is to simply put on as much volume as I can into biking and running, then when the winter truly sets in, run 3-4 days a week, swim 2-3 times a week, do some weight lifting once or twice a week and maybe do a spin class. Is that what I should be aiming for?

2009-09-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2429674

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Off Season Goals?
Newbie5317 - 2009-09-28 11:59 AM What is the goal of off-season workouts? My next tri is in May. Until then, should I just be trying to do volume and distance? Enjoy the offseason, etc? My current thinking is to simply put on as much volume as I can into biking and running, then when the winter truly sets in, run 3-4 days a week, swim 2-3 times a week, do some weight lifting once or twice a week and maybe do a spin class. Is that what I should be aiming for?

No way to say without more information.  What are your goals?  What do you enjoy?  How much time do you have to devote to training in the 'off-season'? etc.
2009-09-28 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
I usually REALLY slow down the training for nearly a month to help things "heal up." Then I try to keep my running in check all winter, because I've read that running is the best thing to keep doing to help maintain your overall "tri fitness." (I live in MN, and I LOVE to run outside in the winter! I'm lucky!) I keep up my swimming, and I try to take a spinning class about once a week. Most workouts are focused on "endurance" so I keep a good base coming into spring. Then, once I'm able to do more outside in the spring, I work on getting that speed back. I don't know how smart this all is, but it's worked for me. Good luck!!
2009-09-28 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
How about breaking things up with 3 eight week training programs?  With a Silver membership you can have access to the winter maintenance training programs, one each for a S or B or R focus for the training period.  Then you would have 8-12 weeks to put it all together for the May tri.
2009-09-28 1:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
my focus will be my swim, first HIM in May.. other than that running will be the staple as I have a Full Mary in Feb (gasparilla), and a 1/2 in April (CMM)
2009-09-28 2:16 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
What is the goal of off-season workouts? >>> 1st of all in the 'off-season' you should let your mind recover (mental rest) from all the structured training of the racing season. IOW, while you still train the approach is more relaxed; rigid goals are not as important as just doing the work. The goal of the training during this pahse is to work proactively on your limiters.

My next tri is in May. Until then, should I just be trying to do volume and distance? >>> depends on where you are fitness-wise today. it is not a volume vs intensity approach, it is about doing flexible work targeting your weaknesess.

Enjoy the offseason, etc? >>> Definitely enjoy the off-season hence my point above the mental rest. Since training is not as rigid and regimented you can also work on your fitness while having fun and catching up on different aspects of your life. 

My current thinking is to simply put on as much volume as I can into biking and running, then when the winter truly sets in, run 3-4 days a week, swim 2-3 times a week, do some weight lifting once or twice a week and maybe do a spin class. Is that what I should be aiming for? >>> again this depends, the goal of riding/running as much as you can before the winter hits sounds good and fun. Maybe it is a good time to hook up with friends, riding in group, try new routes etc. Also you need to evaluate what needs the most focus in your triathlon traiing and work on that. If your swim is a limiter you can devote a 4-6 week cycle swimming more and doing a bit less bike/run or your run is a limiter you can run more and do a bit of swim/bike or if cycling power is your limiter you can focus on doing more intensity or...

Key points:
1. Get a mental break (this doesn't mean let your fitness go into the drain; rest/recover is not the same as detraining)
2. training should be flexible and not as draining (mentally) as specific training
3. focus on your limiters (i.e. swim technique, run endurnce, cycling power)
4. try new stuff
5. catch on with life and have fun

2009-09-28 10:13 PM

Veteran
Missoula
My goal for next year is just to finish faster than this year and be more fit. I have yet to really exercise year round, usually I just take the winter off. I am not looking to break records or anything, just do more than one tri and really get my weight down and get my volumes up to where I can run 5 miles, bike 20, and swim about 2000 yards.

Once I can do those things effectively, I'll be ready for speed. At least I hope.

Edited by Newbie5317 2009-09-28 10:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season Goals? Rss Feed