General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 39m 28s
Overall Rank = 52/128
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am, ate a PB&J and a yougurt, loaded the car and began the drive to the Deer Creek. The whole way there I kept thinking how miserable this was ging to be due to the weather. The further south I drove the harder it rained. I was pleasently suprised to see that the rain was tapering off as soon as I arrived.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and a short swim. Had a brief chat with Brue and met Keith-OG.
Swim
  • 20m 48s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The weather and the distance was exactly the same as the Great Buckeye Challenge, which is when and where I had my "freak out" during the swim. I was so determined not to let that happen again, even though my mind was wanting to take me there. I did just as planned. I placed myself towards the back of my AG and didn't go flying into the water. I told myself that I wanted to complete the swim without raising my heart rate very much at all. That's exactly what I did. I swam slow and steady and I soon found myself passing swimmers from waves that went off before me. During the swim I saw several people that had apparently got tired and were hanging on to the surfboards to catch their breath. I know my stroke was a bit sloppy, ut it was steady and moving me forward, so I was happy!

Coming out of the water, I had some trouble getting the top of my wetsuit off, but I kept moving forward as I fumbled with it. No big deal though. I tried to keep my heart rate down as I headed up the hill into T1.
What would you do differently?:

I need swim lessons to become a more efficient swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

This was the first time I was able to step right out of my wetsuit without having to lay on the ground. I was happy with that. My goal was to be in and out of T1 and T2 in under a minute. I was 12 seconds over that goal for T1, but not too bad I guess.

My shoes were already clipped on my bike, which I have been practicing with. I was able to get my helmet and glasses on, grab my bike and go. I ran out of T1 and did a running jump on my bike.......off I went.

Not too much really.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 34s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I was warned about the 2 hills at the end of the course lap. I was also aware of the wind. I went out on the course and planned to keep a comfortable pace. Being as this was my first Oly, I wanted to save my legs for the run. I started off going into the wind, but it wasn't that bad, so I picked it up a bit. Going into the wind I was able to hold approximately 17-18 mph. At one point, I had a good tailwind. I was holding 22 mph without much effort at all. Towards the end of the 1st lap came a big downhill. I took full advantage of that and was able to get up to 35 mph. Then came to 2 hills. I switched to my small ring and just spun up them. It was slow, but I wasn't killing my legs.

I saw k_watzek on the bike course. I almost wiped out some dude while trying to say hi to her. Sorry dude :(

The 2nd lap went the very same as the 1st lap. I was probably a little slower, but felt good and was looking forward to the run. I averaged 18.2 for the bike, which I thought was decent for me considering the wind.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Again, I had hoped to be in and out of transition in less than a minute. I was 19 seconds over that, but what else was I gonna do? I racked my bike, rolled my socks on, slid my shoes on and rolled out.

This was the first race that I wore my GPS. I wanted to have it to know what pace I was keeping. I had a little trouble getting the watch on as I was running.

Nodda
Run
  • 54m 37s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run at a 8:30's pace. I figured my GPS watch would assist me with this, as long as I could hold the pace. I started out running way too fast. Even though it felt good, I had to slow myself down to avoid burning out too fast. I passed the 5k turn around point rather quickly. It seemed like it took forever to get to my turn around point. Once there, I was served up some rusty water. It was funny because I looked at it before I drank it and didn't really think too much of it. It was kind of funny because once I drank it, I thought, "hat the hell was that, and why did I just drink brown water?" It didn't make me feel funny or anything so I kept moving along without giving it another thought.

I finished the run strong. As I came to the final volunteers, I felt like I had a lot of energy left so I sprinted my to the finishline.

Nothing. I had a plan and it worked out exactly as planned.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. Talked to my buddy (who also raced the Oly) for a few minutes then I had to rush home for my daughters game. Later that day, me and my buddy met up for wings and a couple of beers to celebrate our first Oly race and a good season of races.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:48 | 1056 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy (Full)
Course: Large rectangle along the beach (1 lap)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:12
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:34 | 24.8 miles | 18.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps and 2 decent hills at the end of each lap.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:37 | 06.55 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic)

2009-09-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2429813

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic)
Great job you your first Oly.
Nice report PLUS pictures.

I must of missed the brown water. I think that would've freaked me out.

JC
2009-09-28 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
under 2 minutes / 100 and calm in the water - EXCELLENT! (not to forget that there is a 200 meter uphil run averaged in)

I use the columbus aquatic center indoor pool through the winter if you want some swim advice (I've taught lessons for 15 years)

Congrats on the strong finish.
2009-09-28 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on finishing another Olympic race. It sounds like you also had a great race and lots of fun doing it.
2009-09-29 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Well done. Sounds like you planned your race and raced your plan- well.

Hope you enjoyed the beers and wings, you deserve it!
2009-09-29 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race.  Great job with the pacing.

2009-09-29 8:11 PM

User image

New user

Good job on the Oly bro.  What a great way to end this year's tri season.  Half Ironman here we come!

2009-09-30 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Congratulations on not just surviving that swim, but for being in such great control.  Totally know what you mean about the bad weather dampening your enthusiasm about the day ahead.  Luckily, it ended up fairly decent.  Way to push through those hills, too!  They were much harder than I remember from last year.  Glad that drinking water caused you no probs. 

Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed