Augusta, Georgia
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 4h 51m 58s
Overall Rank = 225/2519
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 29/189
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at four. Coffee, power bar, and banana. Drove to race site and was setup in transition by 5:00.
Event warmup:

Jogged a mile. Couldn't swim...no biggie, swam in my wetsuit the day before a bit.
Swim
  • 25m 42s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fast swim. Hard to say just how good it was since it was downstream. I felt mostly relaxed and just drafted most of the way. Sighting was super easy since you could just look at the shore when you took a breath. I expected the swim to be fast, but couldn't believe my watch when I ran up the boat ramp.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder...but I'm satisfied with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

By the time I realized there were wetsuit strippers I was already by them. Just ran to my rack and got the wetsuit off there. Pretty decent T1.

Use the strippers.

^^ Heh...funny sentence. ^^
Bike
  • 2h 39m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, didn't expect a ride this fast. I was thinking to myself that I was riding too fast but it felt soo easy. I just kept up the pace and I'm glad I did.

Within the first mile my front brake started rubbing. My brake was loose and slowly went from left to right until the pad was rubbing. I probably had to "fix" this 50 time during the race. I'd just reach down and move it...then eventually I'd hear it rubbing again. Any time I used the brakes or hit a decent bump it would slide over. Annoying, but I doubt it cost me too much time.

Backstory: A week before the race I was out for an 80-miler and my aerobars snapped. Had to order new ASAP. They came and I installed them. Don't really like them (yet) but had no choice for this race. Another thing this meant was that both gear cables and both brake cables only had about 10 miles of riding. Not ideal.

I was really freaking out about my bike before this race, but everything went ok. I stayed in the big chain ring the entire race because I was afraid my chain would come off.

Despite these issues though, I'm super happy with my ride...way faster than my previous HIM.

Have my bike tuned up better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Socks. Any race over a sprint I wear socks (to avoid a bloody mess) and every time they piss me off. Today was no exception. God, it seemed like it took an entire minute to put on socks. Whatever.

Invent shoes I could run without socks in.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Off the bike and felt amazing! Which was a nice surprise considering that I had such a fast ride. Glanced at my watch and knew that sub-5 was a real possibility. My run goal of 1:45 would get the job done.

When I made my way out to the two loop course, a female pro was starting her second loop. I didn't want to throw off her race so I didn't run "with" her, but I stayed about 10 paces behind her. I just felt so good. I looked at my Garmin and realized I was running 6:45 pace. WTF??? Way too fast. But it felt so easy I just went with it. At this point I had to pee really bad. I kept looking for an empty port-a-john but they were full for the first couple miles. So on I went with my pro... :) I really wish I could have ran with her longer, but around mile 4 I (thankfully) found an empty one and pee'd. One of the best urinations of my life. Ahhhh. Back on the run. My pace slowed a bit but I was still clocking off 7:15's. The crowd on Broad St. was amazing! At mile 9, I hit a wall. Kind of disappointing since I felt so strong until this point. It really went from good to bad fast. My pace dropped to around 8:30ish and I had nothing left to give. I just wanted to be done. At mile 12 my right calf cramped and was a rock... I thought I might have to walk but I kept a pathetic jog while favoring the left leg. My last mile was probably close to 10 minutes.

Not sure. Maybe not start out so fast? Not sure if that would've helped out not. Also wish I knew what that cramp was all about. The same thing happened at mile 12 in my last HIM. Weird.
Post race
Warm down:

Massage, pizza, coke, beer.

Then I walked a couple miles down Broad Street back to transition. Fun to watch the race go by.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dunno. I think for my training level, this was almost as fast as I could've gone. Aside from the final 30 minutes, everything was better than expected.

Event comments:

Really happy with my race. Sub-5 never even crossed my mind prior to race day.

Great course, great volunteers. Glad I wore my BT tri top; thanks to all the BTers that showed me love on the streets.

Last updated: 2009-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:42 | 2143 yards | 01m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/189
Overall: 0/2519
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Full Sleeve Wetsuit
Course: Downriver.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:58 | 56 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Course: Pancake flat. Two loops. Sun was blazing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-09-28 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2430063

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Great report.  Congrats on reaching a goal you never even thought was possible!
2009-09-28 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job and you ended up with a really fast time... sub 4:45 is next. I had a similar swim time to you and was wondering how many minutes you think the current helped?
2009-09-29 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Pace booty will kill you every time!  Good report.  I loved the run and bike course.  Im coming back next year!
2009-09-30 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
If you pee'd on her she would have slowed down and you could have kept up.  Great job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed