General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sources of calcium not in dairy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-28 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Sources of calcium not in dairy?
I need to cut out dairy for a while because my daughter may be sensitive to it and I am nursing her. I am concerned with how I'm going to keep my calcium up.

Any other good calcium foods without dairy? What is the best calcium supplement?

Thanks!

2009-09-28 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2430145

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sources of calcium not in dairy?
Quick Google search yielded 1000s of results.

Here's a good link

From this link:

Nondairy Foods with Calcium

Getting enough calcium can be a especially hard if your kids are allergic to milk. These nondairy foods can be good choices for kids with milk allergies who need calcium:
  • Salmon
  • Tofu
  • Rhubarb
  • Sardines
  • Collard greens
  • Spinach
  • Turnip greens
  • Okra
  • White beans
  • Baked beans
  • Broccoli
  • Peas
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Sesame seeds
  • Bok choy
  • Almonds

Calcium-fortified Foods

In addition to the large number of calcium rich foods that are naturally found, like milk and cheese, a lot of foods are now fortified with calcium. These can be especially good choices if your child doesn't like to drink milk.
  • Calcium-fortified breakfast cereal, including General Mills Whole Grain Total, Total Raisin Bran, Total Cranberry Crunch, and Total Honey Clusters, all of which have 100% DV of calcium per serving!
  • Calcium-fortified orange juice
  • Calcium-fortified soy milk
  • SunnyD with Calcium (most SunnyD products don't have calcium, so look for the one that does if your child needs extra calcium in his diet)
  • Instant oatmeal
  • Calcium-fortified bread or English muffins
  • Calcium-fortified drink mixes such as Pediasure or Carnation Instant Breakfast
  • Other calcium-fortified breakfast cereals, including General Mills Golden Grahams (350 mg)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sources of calcium not in dairy? Rss Feed