Lake Worth Chamber
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 6s
Overall Rank = 38/447
Age Group = Clydes 185-199
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

I hustled to event site night before and got there as they were shutting down the package pick up @ 8pm. Got my stuff and went home to eat and get gear ready. Finally got to bed around 11:30pm or so. Woke up @ 4:45am and had banana and Clif bar, sipped on gatorade. Just had to put the bike in the car next morning. Got to race site around 6:15am and set up bike. Then got marked and waited in long line for bathroom. One stall for all male racers with no porta-potty... Interesting. Got back to transition to finish setting up and grab goggles. I was in 3rd wave so not rushed.
Event warmup:

Didn't run or bike. Jogged on the beach if that counts. Forgot to take ring off which I dont train or race with, too late now. Also forgot to take gel which I ussually do before sprint. No caffeine for me this race. Got into the water and swam for 5 minutes. Met up with a few buddies and talked.
Swim
  • 13m 54s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

During my warm, noticed a strong current from the south and the course was set up north to south, meaning it would be factor. The start was good and I slipped into FOP, good sighting and rounded 1st buoy well. Then the turn into current! It was tough and I tried to draft as best I could. I caught some good feet for a while. We passed a lot of folks from the prior wave and there was traffic. I knew it was not as fast as I wanted to go, but decided to save energy for rest of race. Once we headed back towards beach, I spead up and increased pace. Good exit out of the water. My time was 3:00 slower than last year so either course was long or that current was as bad as I thought...
What would you do differently?:

I was not pleased with time as much as I have worked on the swim this year. I could have gone faster in looking back and need to set priority. Drafting was good, just maybe find faster feet.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

My Bike rack was the first one out of swim entrance. Great for T2, not for T1. Had to run with Bike through the whole transition area. still, it went well and I was pleased with the time. 26th overall in the race.

Not much, had everything lined up well.
Bike
  • 35m
  • 12.4 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped onto the Bike out of T1 and had a little trouble getting into shoes. No bad though and quickly got into gear. Right from start you go over bridge. Geared up and stayed sitting. Maybe avergaged 16mph going up, but passed quite a few people. Then heading down got up to 30 mph. My heart rate was still high after tough swim so settled in around 22 mph with wind at my back. Picked it up to 23 or so after that. Heading into wind after turn-around I averaged 21.5 or 22. Maybe the new aero helmet makes me "slick"... On the 2nd loop I picked up the pace up to 24mph and then headed back towards bridge. Ageraged 15 this time and stayed seated. Flew on the way down @ 34 mph. A lot of riders were not staying right and had to go over the line to pass. Don't think they heard "on your left" with that much wind in their ears. I drank very little, but it was overcast and not very hot yet. Felt good going into T-2, but right knee hurt behind the joint and that was odd. Hoped it wouldn't slow the run.

Not much here. I still have not had that race where I go "all" out on the bike. I know in training I can hold better speed, always affraid of the run legs. That said, my time was 3:00+ better than last year's split on same course so felt good about it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Coming into T2 you come up little hill then sharp left and boom, there is transition. I had to hustle to get feet out of shoes in time. I did and also had good dismount. My bike rack was first one on right so not far to go. Racked bike and quickly into shoes. Grabbed visor and race belt. Only think slowing me down is pace running through transition.

I guess work on that pace. I can't get helmet off or shoes on any faster. Just have to pick up the pace.
Run
  • 22m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were heavy off the bike and the knee pain didn't bother me fortunately. Going up the bridge the first time was tough. I knew I was slow and someone let me know it. A very fit woman who was cheering folks on told me I was holding back and I could go faster. I would have been hurt if I didn't know it was true! So that helped me pick it up. After 1st mile I had cramps on my side and was breathing heavy. It was not feeling good until after turnaround point. I saw two friends who were only about 1/4 mile behind and they looked quick! Being in same division I couldn't get caught from behind! I started to go faster. the last 1.5 miles were night and day. I felt great and held pretty solid pace. For first time I felt faster. I have been doing a lot of 3:00 intervals in training and knew that I could sprint hard last 3 minutes. Decided to wait till top of the bridge. Heading up, that same lady shouted out pump your arms. I NEVER train on hills so I decided to try it. Damn if it didn't at least make me think I was going faster up the bridge. Thanks Lady! Once at the top, I picked it up. Passing a lot of folks towards the end and I sprinted last 400 yards or so. My time would have been even worse without the push 2nd half of run.

As much as I HATE bricks, I have to get my legs used to it. Every race it takes me a good mile to get legs under me and my times suffer a great deal.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and waited for friends to finish. Chatted it up and walked back to transition to pack up and wait for times to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current on the swim and lack of bricks in training. Knee bothered me on the bike, but it was fastest leg of race for me.

Event comments:

My time was close to last year's, but with about 3 minutes added to the swim. This is where I lost time. Proud of Bike time and will take run split. Wish they would get course measured right. Who knows what I really did. Hard to compare to last year because of the different conditions as well as new run course. Nice warm up to HIM in November though. Local race for me so will be back next year.

Last updated: 2009-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:54 | 600 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 57/447
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Simple course. Swim out 75 yards, head south 450, then back to beach along the Lake Worth Pier. Water was FLAT!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:00 | 12.4 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 46/447
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Odd lay-out but best that could be done in busy areas of downtown Lake Worth. 2 laps confused a lot of folks. This course is 12+ miles. Not sure why they say 11 miles. My computer said 12.4, but I think even more. I guess event never heard of GPS.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:25 | 03.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 63/447
Performance: Average
Course: Course goes over bridge and through park and neighborhoods. Different layout than last year. Still not 3.1 miles. Closer to 2.9 IMHO.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Tropical Triathlon

2009-09-29 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2430736

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon
Hey, great race! We did meet after all. I was with Big Jim Brown and I think we chatted a bit after the race. I was wearing a grey tri top and a yellow Livestrong visor. Get in touch with me if you want to do some long rides before MiamiMan.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tropical Triathlon Rss Feed