General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 30s
Overall Rank = 138/179
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Slept @ Inlaw's so the drive was only 30 mins. Had a bit of pasta and chicken for dinner the night before. "Forgot" to clean and lube my bike. Heah.
Event warmup:

Some stretching, got in the water. Water was warmer than the air! Got to spend some time talking with other BTers before the race. It's hard to find your friends when everyone is almost a foot taller than you....and everyone is in white swim caps and black wetsuits. Srsly if I ever get a wet suit it's gonna be bright fucking orange.
Swim
  • 21h 57m
  • 1056 yards
  • 2h 04m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

GOOD NEWS: I swim FAST.

BAD NEWS: My bike/run times suck so hard it don't matter.

I wish they put more time between the Clydes and the Female waves. Cause swimming around those big boys SUCKS! Every time I approached a pack you can feel the water get (more!) choppy. Problem is they like to do breaststroke....which is fine...until someone kicks you in the ribs. I had nightmares about having my jaw bone kicked off my face. Meah.
What would you do differently?:

I chickened out and walked 1/2 way up the hill to T1. I should of run. Other than that I was very happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Stopped to ooogle a very hot boy. Made some comment about getting a beer later....hmmm...

But at my rate, I should of stopped to do my hair I had sooooo much time.

Maybe wait to flirt until after the race? IDK.

No, srsly? GO FASTER!
Bike
  • 50m 6s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy crap. I've never ridden in the rain OR on a wet road. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to biking in the wet. I went super slow around the turns but it still took me 3 miles to get my biking legs...and at that I just couldn't do it.

Looking back I improved my bike time by 2 mins from the same course in June...but I'm not happy.

I know I need to bike more. I just need to do it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Holy crap. I just can't do all that fancy-pancy stuff with my bike. Again, I just need more practice.
Run
  • 38m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time I was just pushing myself NOT TO WALK. And I managed to make a friend alone the course. I think I was someone's pace booty- that's kinda neat!

I hate running on grass. At least they should freaking MOW next time...yeah, that would be super!

Considering that this was my best run time EVER I was pretty happy. I'm putting avg because after telling my mom my run time she got all snotty and told me I use to run an 8 min mile in Highschool. Frack if that wasn't 11 years ago!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, wandered over to the food table. Got a pb&j, orange slice and a water. Walked down to the lake- got in to cool off and wash away the sweat and smell. Sat on the beach with my legs in the water, ate my pb&j and reflected on life, death and TRI. Cried a bit, but that's what I do. I'm so thankful to be able to TRI. Last year this time I had cancer removed from the top of my foot. I was hopping around and Dave had to help me get up and down stairs. I remember telling my surgeon that I wanted to do triathlons and he just kind of chuckled at me. Remind me to bring him a photo of me in my tri suit when I go back to see his partner next month. (Just a regular body scan, folks. Nothing to worry about.)

Davidtris and Jeremy-No-Trains made me pancakes and bacon. BACON!!! Best. Breakfast. Ever. I wish I had that kind of support at every event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would like to say the rain but I lost my heart somewhere. I hope to get it back soon.

Event comments:

Avoid the water in the water coolers at all cost. It tasted like lake water.

Finisher medals- not the way I wanted hardware but its kinda neat. Might frame it as a memento of my first TRI season.

It was great to see so many BT people at the race! I wish I had run into more of them, though. I think maybe next Deer Creek TRI we get several camping spots and take the weekend and just hang out and chill.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
21:57:00 | 1056 yards | 2h 04m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 30/179
Performance: Good
Suit: tri top and shorts
Course: Rectangle swiw- starting in the middle of the long end. Yellow for turns, orange for course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:50:06 | 12.4 miles | 14.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Lots of left hand turns for the first 12 miles, then it's Cedar Point on crack.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:14 | 03.11 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back- some grass
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 7:12 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Sprint

2009-09-28 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2430819

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Sprint
I have the same wetsuit complaint. I want to find someone to put racing stripes on it or maybe flames. There has to be some sort of neoprene artist somewhere right?
2009-09-29 1:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Way to stay strong! Congrats on the run PR! It was nice seeing you on the bike course, even though I almost wiped out someone trying to say hello

2009-09-29 10:03 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Yeah but I think he tried to pass you on the inside so don't worry about it!
2009-09-29 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Glad you enjoyed the pancakes and bacon. A PR run is a great way to end your first tri season. Way to go. We'll have see about that BT camping and racing trip for next year. I think it sound like alot of fun.
2009-09-29 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Nice that you had a faster than normal final run time after the windy bike ride!

I thought I noticed somebody ogling me in T1, though maybe you meant someone else based on your description of him as "boy".  Not sure what was in the air that day cause I "flirted" (smiled too long and said hello) with 1 chick on a the bike, 2 on the final run, one water girl, and Alison in the red tent.

2009-09-29 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
I think alternately colored wetsuits would be nice too.Thank you to you and your 300 friends in the sprint and olympic for trampling the grass down for me.good job on your run PR and overall race.
2009-09-29 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Nice job!
I agree with Brue - Thanks for making those nice paths through the grass. By the time I got there at like 1 p.m. or so, there were two really nice tracks through it!

:-)

Way to go! We have some really great photos of you flexing. You look terrific!
2009-09-29 7:01 PM

User image

Funny, I did the duathlon and my thought on the first run was the grass was so high.
2009-09-30 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

It was so great to see you again, Kate.  Big congrats on that PR for your run.  You've had a jam-packed first season and you should be so proud.  That's cool you had some quiet, reflective time there at the end.  What an incredible story you've got!  I would totally be taking that picture, walking in to the doc's partner's office and lightly slamming it on the desk.

Really great job and what a life-changing summer it's been for you.  I'm sure I speak for the other BTers when I say that we're glad you're here!

2009-10-02 11:20 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I'm pretty sure it wasn't you Thomas. I think the kid was younger than me. Hmm. Does that make me a dirty old lady? Yikes!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Sprint Rss Feed