General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 05m 40s
Overall Rank = 109/128
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up across the lake at the lodge. Had trouble falling asleep because of noisy teen-agers at the lodge and it being my first Oly distance. I hadn't been in the water since early August but that didn't worry me. I was more worried about the run. I have never been a great runner and I haven't been able to run outside since on a regular basis since the start of the school year. Treadmills are good but not the same as running outside. Ate a Cliff bar and drove around the lake in the dark and the rain. Tried to keep what I could dry in transition and waited for the rain to stop. Found a spot in the middle of the rack, the end was already taken. The water was great, it was warmer than the air. I was excited about not being cold.
Event warmup:

No warm up
Swim
  • 18m 40s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out slower than I would have liked but I was trying to draft. The pace was to slow and I ended up swimming through the sprint waves that went before us.
What would you do differently?:

Start off faster
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I forgot to take my wetsuit completely off until I went to put on my shoes. I also had trouble with the zipper and had to have someone else get it started. Last years T1 time was 4:42 so this was a lot better. I think mostly because I didn't walk the entire hill this year.

Not have to stop to get some help with the zipper.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 30s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

According to my Garmin I biked 25.33 miles. I didn't start it until I was at the mount line and stopped it when I dismounted so the average pace is off. Average pace on the Garmin was 17.5. The wind wasn't as bad as last year but still there.

More ride time. Again I haven't been on my bike regularly since the beginning of school.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Had trouble with the socks. Again a better time than last years T2 of 2:58. It would have been even better without the sock problem. Also jumping off the bike without the shoes helped on time.
Run
  • 1h 15m 14s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Something didn't work with the bike nutrition. I don't know if it was too much to drink because of the cool temps or the Hammer gel I had but my stomach kept feeling like it was going to bring everything back up. I also had to stop at the first aid station to use the restroom.

Work on nutrition and more running.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a coke and a PBJ. Boy did that taste good. Changed and drove back to Indiana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was reminded by my doctor that I do have some physical limitations with my ankle when it comes to running, and he should know since he fixed it when I shattered my ankle. So I guess more mileage will help for next season.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:40 | 1056 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 33/128
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleevless
Course: Rectangle one lap
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:30 | 24.8 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 90/128
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps with 2 big hills towards the end.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:15:14 | 06.55 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 116/128
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back loop with grass towards the start and finish. Nice scenery going over the dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic)

2009-09-28 11:28 PM
in reply to: #2430889

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic)
Congratulations on your first Olympic finish. I think you are the one I tried to draft off of at the start of the swim. YA, you left me like I was dead fish.
2009-09-29 12:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Nice swim time. Congrats on your first Oly.
2009-09-29 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Like the others have said, that's a killer swim time. I hope you can rehab the ankle and get your run where you'd like it to be. Well done on your first oly distance.

2009-09-29 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Congrat on the Olympic.  Seems you're already planning more volume and a faster go at it next time. 

My biggest T1 mess up was my first race this year.  I keep my cycliing shoes attached to the bike, and as I got ready to mount the bike I still had my running shoes on from my first duathlon run. 

2009-09-29 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie
Thanks again for the encouragement. I'm planning bigger because a co-worker did a team HIM this summer and wants to to a full one solo next year and I told him that I would if he decided to. My pride moved my mouth before my brain could object. David, thanks but the ankle has 2 pins and wire in it from when it was shattered and won't get any better, but I can work on running better with what I have. Just a matter of training time. The times came down all this year. Thanks again everyone and hope to meet again.

2009-09-30 12:09 AM

User image

New user

Congrats on the Olympic distance! Sounds like you had a good race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed