Premier Event Management
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 38s
Overall Rank = 1668/3318
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 242/325
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 and ate oatmeal with mixed in bananna. Had some coffee, water, and some Coke Cola. Took the Bus to T1 to set up. Just before departing to the swim start I drank 24 oz of (1.5 scoops) Acclerate Mixed with water. Drank 20 more oz of water just before my wave start.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, it was so crowded I was kinda in a daze this being my first 70.3. I just went over transitions in my head and made sure I had everything. Checked and double checked bike.
Swim
  • 29m 43s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Let me first say I had such a divine moment during the swim, Picasso could not have painted a better picture. About 1/2 way through the swim the sun broke through the clouds and the rays shown down to earth which I noticed immediately but within seconds I noticed something even more beautiful, the sun rays penetrated the depts of the water and it was a glorious sight. I forgot about what I was doing and where I was and was in awe for a mere moment with GOD. I knew from there my day would be ok no matter what happended. I started in the middle and stayed there for most of the swim. I got hit from both sides but held my position and kept swimming and did not let it bother me, shame I can't swim with the 40-44 y/o chicks, it would be more fun geting hit like that! I got josteled a few times and swam into several more. 1/2 way through I veered left a little and was swimming away from the pack but immediately started to bring it back to the pack area. There were folks on my left almost in the middle of the river. I would breathe every 4 strokes 1x then ever 2 strokes the next, so 4 then 2, sighting every 6 strokes. It helped keep good air going and made me comfortable. 75% through I was in my own space w/o anyone around for 10 feet from what I could tell and out of no where a wave 23 guy ran right into me. Really, got the whole damn river and got to run into me. So I let it go and and kept swimmimg, ...he went around. I swam to easy since we had a current and wanted to save the energy for the bike. Overall, I had my best swim to date of any Tri. Easy, relaxed, beauty, bumps and kicks did not bother me, I was what you would say, just enjoying the moment!
What would you do differently?:

I had not worked on the swim portion as much since it was wetsuit legal and I knew we had a little current. I do need much more time in the water to do speed sets and definately enhance the technical aspects. This is the goal through the winter months.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

Coming out of the water I walked up the chute till I was on flat land then jogged through the chute into T1. I was behind some folks walking and had to get around them but it was crowded. I was trying to get my legs the first 100 yards still. Total distance from water to entrance of T1 was ~ 300 yards. I saw wetsuit strippers and guys were in mud, I passed. And damn..I had to pee so bad, so I used the bathrooom before touching the bike and it killed my T1 time. I also took more time making sure I had everything I needed. I knew I wasn't going to win so my goal was to properly be fueled and have a solid mental day for a good finish.

More mental prep. Run all the way from the water. Better T1 setup, prep, prep, and prep some more. But what do you do if you have to pee, you pee! This should have realistically been 2:00-2:45 based on how I was prepared.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike Issues started Thursday. I rented a Zipp Disk back and 808 front and went to pick them up on Thursday..umm, they were shipped to Charlotte. So the guy scrambled to find another set, no go. They gave me a Blackwell disk back and Zipp 303 front, both wee kinda beat up. Had to buy a tubular extra, no problem, I had considered this a must. So ok, I was befuttled but got my mind back right. The guys at Inside Out have been great and I chalk it up to a simple mistake and hey, I've made a few in my life. Friday was the first time I rode the wheels I rented from Inside Out, just due to family and travel. Opps! There is a major bump in the front 303. So I scramble to find a local bike dealer on Saturday morning. OutSpoken, in Augusta Ga, boys are the bomb! The hooked me up with a front wheel for a $10.00, rental. I didn't even try to get the tire on the 303 fixed, I was scared to run it. OK, so Im ride ready now.

From the point I mounted, for me, I was rocking. I was averaging about 21-22 up to mile 17 and then came the first real hill. It wasn't really the hill, yet it was me, I decided to reel myself back and make sure I would have some gas left for the run. The fact was the first 17 miles were really easy for me, no issues at all. Up to here I passed maybe 100-150 folks and got passed by about 20 folks. For the next 28 miles i'd say there were flats, rollers, and hills. I coasted the downhills and still passed lots of folks due to being 207. Uphill I used higher gears and spun more. Flats, I hammered but within limits and tried to keep the Hr < 160 which was my goal. On the pre reace recon I knew the last 11 miles had a 300 ft decline so I knew I could either relax or hammer, I chose to relax and have wheels for the run, which is my weakness still.

The whole ride I spent most of the time in the left to center of race lane passing folks. I was polite and didn't yell at folks but only 1 time. I was screaming down hill at 35 MPH and some guy was dilly dalling in the center and veering left while a car was coming and I had no where to go but the hood so I yelled at him left left left, he jerked right and I was safe. When I knew I was going to be passed or was being passed I tried to get as far right as possible, or when I passed, in a respectfull manner I got over to the right once I had cleared the rider to my right. But damn, some folks just were out for a frigging Sunday ride with grandma with there head up there ass! No respect for people that wanted to race. On my last 8-9 miles I knew I slowed down but I stayed far right and didn't double up riders.

I ventue to say I passed nearly 400-500 folks. I was passed by about ~ 40 guys and 3 women.

I could say I should slow down and be careful or perhaps utilize my legs and hammer more, either way i could live with. My goal was to have legs for the run. Here was my focus on nutrition and as much as I planned, I need a better plan for the week leading up to the race as well something different that so much gel! I had a Pb sandwich , 6 gels, 20 oz of Perpetuem, 20 oz Heed, 24 oz G2, 12 endurlotes, and 1 bag of chomps..which I almost barfed when I ate them. I felt like I hydrated well but could have used more water and less Perpetuem, yuck!
Transition 2
  • 06m 57s
Comments:

When I rolled in I knew my hardest part was next, I took way more time than I should have. I stared putting on my socks and remembered to vasoline my toes but damn, I had to rummage through my bag to get the v, socks back off the apply V, socks on, shoes on. Race belt, hat, wipe off shades, gel, yuck, NO MORE GELS! NO MORE!

1. Run with bike all the way
2. Leave nothing to chance, plan more and lay out better
3. Don't be a slow poke.

The reason I didn't rush, My crono said 3:37 minutes when I looked, and in my head i said, OK, you have 2:18 minutes to run 13.1, so I can get sub 6, so I poked around. Finally, I was off.
Run
  • 2h 30m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Now, as you can see I was running suspisingly easy, for me, at a 9:41 pace the first mile, about 300 yards of that was walking out of T2 resetting my Polar watch. I immdeiately slowed my run to stay within an easy pace, I had trained at 9 to 9:30 pace but knew I had 2:18. It was hot and the water stations were not every 1.2, I say maybe 1.5 miles apart, some longer. 1st 2 stations I got sponges and my hr dropped 15 beats. I was doing fine running easily till mile 5, out of nowhere the devil reached up and grabbed my right groin and never let go. I had not had this cramp since I played football in HS. I had to walk 200 yards and then started running again. Basically from there I had this problem the rest of the run so my time was out the window. I ran as much as possible then when the cramp hit I just walked it out and would immediately start back running. It was so frustrating beacuse I slowed down on the bike to not have this happen and what happend, this! Mile 8 and 9 were bad and my right foot was numb and the right groin cramp was continual. I drank 2 waters and 1 gatoraid at every aid station but the cramp was relentless.

The last mile I ran as much as possible and still had cramps. I even tried to run through them but I had to walk, so to ensure a run to finish I walked 200 yards with 1/2 mile to go and then the quad felt ok and I said, let me finish running baby. So I took off and ran, when I turned the corner and saw the finish I lost my man card and broke down JUST A LITTLE, immediately gathered myself and raised my arms to hear, Harold Liles, Apex, NC! My wife was right there and I huged her and DAMN, lost my man card again, shed a tear or maybe some sweat and gathered myself and went and got my medal!

Oh well, more running. I've only been running since Jan this year and to have only run about 400 miles up to this point and with 5 years of plantar fasciitis lingering in both feet, I think I did ok, but for those damn cramps. Figure out a nutrition plan, maybe weight training on the quads. But very simply, much more run training and some coaching. I was a 5:40 mile runner in HS and I know I can be a 6:30 mile runner with another year under my belt. Maybe run with a fuel belt like in training if I don't know exactly where the aid stations are?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked some , little stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

CRAMPS! Nutrition? Hydration on the run? Lack of running, lack of proper technique while swimming, and though biking is ok for me, I should be a 22 MPH biker with my legs!

Event comments:

First and formost this was AWESOME, it was my first 70.3 plus an IRONMAN. On the flip side of that I was disappointed in the post race activities, as well during the run 2 water stations were depleted, 2 ran out of cups, many lacked ice, and on my second loop, no iced sponges. IT"S THE FRIGGING SOUTH DURING SEPTEMBER! IT"S HOT! Ok, if you have say 26 waves, please remember those in the last 25% of the waves!

I must applaud our men and women in uniform, US ARMY! These men and women were station 2 at each street, road, and intersection along the WHOLE BIKE COURSE. At some there were Sheriff and State Troopers but The US Army was deployed if full for our safety! FOLKS, if you read my report please write Brigadier General Jeffrey W. Foley, Commanding General of Fort Gordon Georgia and compliment his men and women on their OUTSTANDING duty during this event! As well, I plan to write a letter to the Governor of both SC and Georgia and compliment their law enforcement individuals. Not sure if I send the letter to the SC Governor to SC or South America??? Or maybe that hiking trail he was on?

Overall I loved the course. The swim was great. The bike couse offered everything with much scenery and the run was flat and took you by some historic homes of Augusta. Maybe add part of the run through the Historic Augusta Golf course?

So I missed sub 6 hours by 9 minutes 39 seconds, nothing beat that view of the sun rays shining into the water at the beginning of my swim, picturesque! All the hitting and splashing just stopped and the world stopped spinning and it was total calm, God showed me his was there with me on this day, and every day! He also said, drink more water!

Last updated: 2009-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:43 | 2143 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/325
Overall: 1603/3318
Performance: Good
I felt controlled during the swim and breathing was fine.
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Savanna River on the Georgia / SC border. Started from the 5th street pier under the train tressel. They allowed you to either get in the water or stay on the extened pier. Striagt swim for 1.2 miles down river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:56:51 | 56 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Overall: 1239/3318
Performance: Good
Avg Hr = 158 High Hr = 173 High Speed = 39 High Cadence = 105 Ascent = 1560 feet Calories Burned = 3063..this was equal to my training rides. 1 2:56 2 2:36 3 2:53 4 3:33 5 3:02 6 2:40 7 2:37 8 2:29 9 2:48 10 3:16 11 2:57 12 2:58 13 3:00 14 2:58 15 3:02 16 2:55 17 3:17 18 4:14 19 3:18 20 3:01 21 2:48 22 3:50 23 2:48 24 3:32 25 3:24 26 2:57 27 3:43 28 3:14 29 2:41 30 2:42 31 2:36 32 3:29 33 5:00 34 4:00 35 2:59 36 2:23 37 4:08 38 4:39 39 3:46 40 3:21 41 2:35 42 3:15 43 3:03 44 2:51 45 2:42 46 2:26 47 3:40 48 4:07 49 2:30 50 2:54 51 3:06 52 3:20 53 2:33 54 3:18 55 3:48 56 2:02
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Slight rollers and some hills. BEAUTIFUL scenery on the ride. Most of the ride was through SC countryside. Crosswinds going out. Croisswinds was some headwinds coming back, best I could tell.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 1920/3318
Performance:
Avg Hr = 165. High was 221? Per my Polar. Must have been when I was behind some serious pace booty! Speed Average 5.3 Max 7.7. Burned 2950 calories. This was ~ 700 higher than training. 1 9:41 2 10:06 3 10:32 4 10:12 5 11:28 6 11:08 7 11:14 8 12:18 9 12:30 10 11:22 11 11:00 12 12:42 13 12:12 .1 3:35
Course: 2 loops through downtown Augusta utilizing 4 of the main streets plus a couple others. The crowds were great and very supportative. The residents were into it as well!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-09-29 12:36 AM
in reply to: #2431216

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
+1 I enjoyed your race report.

You drank too much pre-race, thus you had to pee at T1.  Next time, make yourself pee while in the swim.

If you had cramps then you didn't get enough electrolytes.  Period.  Muscle cramps are caused when you don't have enough electrolyte for the muscle to get the signal to relax between contractions.

Now you have to research and figure out how much water, and electrolytes, and calories you really need.  Gatorade (and others) are "scientifically formulated" with the optimum concentration so the body actally absorbs it faster than plain water.  So why would you ever drink plain water?!  It's called "gator" ade because it was invented at Univ of FL so the football players wouldn't cramp up while working out in Florida summer.  It works.

How much water you need can be determined.  Research it.  It goes something like: weigh yourself naked pre-workout, weigh your dry clothes, weigh the water you drink during the exercise, weigh your pee or don't pee, weigh yourself naked post-workout, weigh your sweaty clothes.  Calculate the water loss through sweat and aspiration.  Log the results, including the air temp and humidity, and the duration and intensity of the workout.  Repeat 100 times.  Determine your average hydration need (ounces per hour) for a range of temps/humidity.  On race day drink 100% of what you need, or more, but none less.

Most people can only digest between 250 and 400 calories per hour while exercising.  Between the bars and gels and drinks you have to balance getting in as much calories and electrolytes as you can stomach, and as much hydration as you need.

Did you take any of the Gatorade endurance formula they were handing out on the bike course?  It works.

I hit the lap button on my watch every time I eat, so I can tell at a glance when it's been 20 or 25 or 30 minutes and it's time to eat again.  I usually alternate a gel or a third to half a Powerbar, about 100 calories, every 20 to 30 minutes.  Plus I drink a big sip of electrolyte drink (Gatorade, Powerbar drink, Powerade, Heed, etc.) every 10 minutes.

Nutrition is a highly personal thing.  You have to do enough 3 to 4 hour workouts, to experiment with enough combinations, to find what works best for you.

I strongly recommend you drink electrolyte drinks 90% of the time, not plain water.

Good luck.  Go Pirates!

Bill
2009-09-29 5:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
awesome job harold! the report was enthralling...i expect the similar experiences with my 1st 70.3. Nutrition has been key in my distance running and breaking down the water/electro intake has been quite a study. I've found a security in Hammer Endurolytes for a rush of electros in the long distances, i dunno if its all in my head or not, but it helps.

Congrats on your accomplishment! See you in pinehurst!!

2009-09-29 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Harold

Nice race, Nice report.

Bring on B2B and a big sub 6

2009-09-29 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Dude, what a race! Awesome job. Great Report. I can't wait for my first 70.3!

Alan
2009-09-29 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I have been looking forward to your race report and it did not disappoint!  Glad you had a great race!

2009-09-29 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Nice report Harold.  Great race.  I loved the bike course too!  If I lived in Augusta, I would ride it everyday!
2009-09-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2431704

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hats off Harold! Way to overcome. Will you be doing it again in 2010? If so I'll do it with you and travel down together if that works. I think the time you took here and there was good as this was your first 1/2 IM. I am sure you will use this for the next one. Aside form the wheel issues, how did the new bike handle?

Doug
2009-09-30 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great race, Harold! Congrats to you! I loved your description of the sun rays and how it made you think of God. That was awesome. I also hate when slow bikers get in my way. Augusta must have been a huge field if you passed 400 people. Crap!

"20 oz of Perpetuem, 20 oz Heed, 24 oz G2" Why do you use so many different things on the bike? Just wondering. I've been using Infinit. Not sure I like it tho, as sometimes it gives me stomach issues....so, I just ordered Perpetuem.
2009-10-02 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Really enjoyed your race report...especially the spiritual moment you had during the swim with the sun's rays.
Congratulations on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed