United States
Westchester Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 39m 55s
Overall Rank = 91/824
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 2/42
Event warmup:

Swam / stayed in water for 15 minutes as it seemed warmer than standing on the beach in the rain and wind
Swim
  • 33m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

As it was a breezy morning there were waves coming in, particularly as you got out towards the breakwater at the turnaround mark. This made swimming a bit more challenging. Never felt I got a good rhythm although did manage to draft success fully on a few occasions, but time still poor. Had chocking / gagging issue again and had to stop three times to get back into composure. I am really puzzled what is causing this, first had it at NYC and although it also happened at Timberman, the salt water definitely makes it worse. Doesn't seem to matter if I am relaxed or tense and seems to happen when I am breathing fine and not catching any water.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have swum harder, but form was off so not sure how much difference it would make.

Find out why I keep getting the urge to cough while swimming all of a sudden.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Overall rank 166th

Be a little faster.

Work out how to run in Keo Grip Cleats without completely ripping the rubber grip off when I need to run on a tarmac surface - gets expensive!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Rained hard for the entire ride and roads were treacherous, which reflected in the times. Had a very lucky near miss when I briefly looked down at my Garmin about 10 minutes into the bike, wandered towards the curb and then lost control when I hit a drain cover and ended up over the verge onto the grass totally out of control in aero, but luckily went about 20ft before being dumped down the curb and back onto the road. Miraculously I stayed on my wheels despite losing both feet out of pedals and also respect for the guy immediately behind me that managed to avoid me without actually falling himself.

The road surface roughness, standing water and poor visability along with the technical nature of this bike course made it a challenging ride.

Not much - apart from not bring sunglasses on such a wet ride! Unlike many I stayed upright all the way round which was a big positive. For sure could have pushed harder on some of the hills, but all things considered not too bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Overall rank 104

Not much, felt pretty smooth.
Run
  • 49m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Unusually I suffered with my right hamstring the entire run. Felt like it was always on the edge of cramping and is still a little sore two days after the race. I suspect this was caused either by something I did when I nearly crashed the bike as both feet were knocked out the pedals, or it was just I was cold from the ride and needed to start the run at a slightly slower pace to warm up.

Not much, just need to continue to work on my run speed and have the confidence to run at a slightly high exertion level.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed piece of pizza, picked up gear and sat in car with all the heaters on to warm up and dry out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training had been sporadic since Timberman five weeks earlier, and I hadn't taken this race so seriously as I did last year. The strenuous five hours yacht racing the day before probably didn't help much either.

Even though my time was slower this year, my overall rank had moved up from 181st to 91st so I'm taking that as a good thing overall

Event comments:

Hats off to all the volunteers and supporters of this years race. The conditions were bad if you were racing, but even worse if you had to stand out in them for a few hours.

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:54 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 227/824
Performance: Below average
Suit: Desoto Bibjohn and Speedvest
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:54 | 24.85 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Overall: 48/824
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:48 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 204/824
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-29 7:18 AM

User image

Regular
New York City
Subject: Westchester Triathlon

2009-09-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2431408

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
Phil, great job!!!  The conditions were really really tough this year!!  Congrats on a good finish and I am glad you kept the Skin side up on your venture into Cyclocross while doing a Tri!!!

You ever want to get some saltwater practice in, look me up and come on up to Norwalk!!!

congrats again for toughing it out!!

2009-09-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2431408

Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
Thank you for recognizing that it was pretty awful weather for the volunteers to stand there while the race went on.  Overall, I found the racers very appreciative of, and courteous to, the volunteers, which made volunteering much more enjoyable.

Great job!!!

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westchester Triathlon Rss Feed