Adrenaline Sports Management
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2/93
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got in the shower, ate cheerios and put everything in the car. We were only a few minutes from the transition area so I got to sleep until 5am.
Event warmup:

It was still pitch black when we got there and the fog was CRAZY! After setting up my transition and making sure everything with my bike was straight I clipped in my shoes and climbed the first hil of the course. Then went for a short run that would have led up to within a few minutes of my start time but the fog messed everything up. More on that later...

Lake Carroll Fog
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had two main goals going into this race. 1) top 3 AG finish and 2) Take the swim a little easier and not feel like I am going to die during it. Surprisingly both were possible. This felt like the best swim I have ever had in a race (I have not seen my splits yet so I don't know my swim time). I was never panicked, and never really out of breath. I just started slower and got into my stroke right away.

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

For this race... Nothing. The whole time I was in the water I was breathing great!
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Really, really, really good T1. I was in and out no messin around.

maybe try putting helmet on while I'm taking off my wetsuit but I was very happy with my T1 today.
Bike
  • 43m 15s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Man these hills were crazy! There were almost no flats. You were either struggling up a hill or speeding down another. All and all it was a lot of fun!

Photobucket

It's hard to compare this to any other race I have done so I really can't judge my performance.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Another pretty good transition. I got back and there were almost NO bikes in there!!! I knew I had a chance to place well.

Photobucket
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Very different compared what I am used to. I had always thought trail running was something that sounded like fun... well... It would have been nice to practice that before actually running one in a race. Overall it was very challenging! I had really hoped to run a 6:30 pace for this race but the trails simply wouldn't allow it. Not only was it really hilly and rocky, there were several parts where I almost lost my shoes in the muddy goop.

I didn't really know what to expect as I left T2. I knew I was doing really well in the race because I could hear the surprise in my family's voices. At the very start of the run there is a steep down-hill that I pretty much sprinted down. As soon as you got to the bottom you had to make up that hill with a gradual incline that was pretty challenging. I passed one person on that incline and left him pretty quickly. The rest of the run was really really lonely. At one point I thought maybe I had deviated from the trail or missed a turn or something. Just before I got to the turn around I saw who turned out to be the leader heading the opposite way. I had no chance to catch him. I still had like a 1/2 mile before I hit the turn around. On the last mile I started seeing lots of people headed the opposite way. Lots of words of encouragement... One guy said "go get em'" and that felt really good. I also saw "alex jb" from BT and I made sure I warned him of the muddy conditions ahead. As I got to the finally steep hill, the finish line was at the top and there were a lot of people there. I heard my Mom saying "dude your 2nd!". Even though I knew I was doing well, I was still surprised.

Photobucket

Again... hard to say cause I can't compare my performance to anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a whole lot of water (I sure wish they had some sort of recovery drink, or even Gatorade)... They had bagels which were incredibly bland. I ended up biting down on a bee that kept landing on my bagel. I joked that it tasted like chicken but it tasted more like you think a bee would (whatever that is).

I made sure to thank all the volunteers and people out there cheering us on. It really makes all the difference!

A special thanks to Molly and my family for coming to every race and supporting me!
Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my inexperience with hills and trail running.

Last updated: 2009-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 750 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 8/93
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle type course. Kinda poorly thought out. Ran into Olympic Distance swimmers head on which wasn't supposed to happen. But They changed the swim course last minute. Not sure why. Just by looking at the course, it seemed longer than it was supposed to be but we will probably never know the actual distance.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:15 | 12.4 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Overall: 5/93
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: HILLS HILLS HILLS and more HILLS!!!!!!! Very challenging course! I have never rode on hills like this before. The downhills were fun but holy shit, going up those hills was miserable. There were almost NO flats on the whole course! Just one hill after another. Some short and steep, others long and and gradual.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 5/93
Performance: Average
Course: Okay... I can't believe there was no information on the website when I signed up about an OFF ROAD, TRAIL RUN! It was on an ATV trail and it had rained in the past week so not only was it really hilly, it was muddy and sloppy. Lots of rocks too!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes