General Discussion Race Reports! » Benaroya Research Institute Triathlon at SEAFAIR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Benaroya Research Institute Triathlon at SEAFAIR - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
Beneroya Research Institute and SeaFair
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 7s
Overall Rank = 831/1460
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 77/94
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate a little something, I can't remember what as I'm making this report months after I actually did the race. My first of two races to date. I know this much, I was nervous! I did manage to get myself, my wife and daughter down to the race on time. Fortunately for me my wife has done many a races before and has had some experience in helping me visualize what was going to unfold.
Event warmup:

I didn't do anything. If fact I saw people in the water warming up and I thought "why would you expend energy now before the race?" Little did I know. I did stretch and try to relax a bit. I do remember I felt like one of few people without a wet suit. Since I do have a small belly I remember felling a little out of place in my swim trunks. But I kept telling myself that it will be OK. This was probably going to be my second attempt to swim in something other than a pool. the first time, it didn't go so well....
Swim
  • 17m 13s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I am a really good swimmer.... in the pool that is. I can swim forever. Well, not forever, but I can swim for at least 4 miles or more on a (really) good day. Average day, I can swim this distance no problem. But, this isn't a pool and this isn't an average day. This is my first Tri and this a race, and people are going to be in my lane...Ha, this is not normal!
OK, so a mosey-on-up to the front-..ish. Hey, I'm a good swimmer, I certainly don't want to be in the back, but, I don't want to be in the front either. So, I'm getting really nervous because I'm getting cold with no wet suit and my wave is up next and the angst is all over my face.
The announcer say to get ready, go! So I, and a hundred of my age groupers take off and as soon as I get out over my head all hell brakes loose. I can't swim, I'm panicked. I am so freaking out and dog paddling and looking for a guy on a surf board or a boat or anything because i think I'm going down. I don't think I'm going down, I know I'm going down. $hit! I am not kidding when I say I freaked the hell out. I start saying help and then worry about looking like an idiot for saying it. I'm somewhat worried how I'll look to my wife and daughter but at the same time i think I'm going to drown. I start to do a dog paddle, and try to not drown, but I'm getting pummeled by all the people passing me because I was in the front! How stupid was I? This is really not going well but my dog paddling has got me thinking I might not die and there are less people running me over now so it's looking up a bit. I somehow tell myself to try swimming and I do and it works a little bit but I continue to dog paddle between swimming and freaking out. Eventually everyone is past me and I'm swimming more than I'm freaking out and then I start to figure it out and I'm starting to think maybe I can do this for sure and then I'm off. OK, now I'm feeling good and it just took a Little freaking out and every single person to pass me first before I could swim. I'm catching people and see other peoples feet and I am swimming around them. So I'm not turning on any heat or anything because I still have no idea what I'm doing but I'm starting to pass more people and I'm coming close to the last buoy and on to the home stretch. The last part of the swim I'm starting to feel good and then I'm starting to get the heart rate up and feeling my confidence grow and then BAM!, it's over! OK that was good and bad, but I'm alive!
What would you do differently?:

Well, I have since done lots of open water swimming with a wet suit and I'm not as freaked out with drowning. That would have helped then, but like I said, this is a old race but I wanted it in my race log.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I thought this time was pretty good since I had no idea what to expect. But I found I didn't do half of what I thought I was going to do. No bike shorts, no socks, no extra this or that, just get the shoes and helmet on, grab bike and go.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Like the swimming, I thought this would be easy, but it wasn't. I've done the Seattle to Portland (STP) ride a couple of times, so I thought not problem, but really I wasn't in a race then, it was a ride, Duh!. I need more time in the saddle with the intent to going faster. Anyway, I thought the bike course was kind of longer than it said it was, it wasn't though. I got tired on even the smallest hills and didn't go very fast on the flat part. But soon after I started it was over and I was on to T2.

Work on speed and intensity.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I did this pretty well I thought. I again, did less than more. Forget the socks, the gels the shorts the blah blah. I put visor, glasses and shoes on and took off.
Run
  • 29m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I had never experience (at this point) the effects of coming off a bike and then trying to run. It's not that easy. I did manage to have under a 10/ mi., which is fast for me. It was a hot day and I'm not used to running up hills and this Little hill they had just about killed me. The run could have went a lot better, but I still think I did pretty good for me..

Train on hills more.
Post race
Warm down:

I got something to drink and sat with my wife and daughter. It was a nice time. My wife had no idea that I thought I was going to drown during the swim. Funny, I thought the whole world saw this one guy who was going to drown.
I saw John Curley from evening magazine and asked him if I could get a picture with him and he said sure. Interesting point I was embarrassed to ask for the picture, I think I said something like "hey, I don't know why but can we get a picture together?" and He said "because it's fun." Well I got my picture and hung with the family a bit more. But I got to thinking and you know what, he's right! I thought, this has been, and is a lot of fun. I had a good good time. I'm going to do this again.
Anyway, I'm glad I didn't drown and die so I can do another TRI.
.....Lots of vender's and food, but we left after a short bit to get the baby home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having open water swimming experience. Not riding my bike enough. Not doing bricks, and not running enough.

Event comments:

Great race! I would do this again. It's a great short course with lots of people and activities. I will hope to do this next year to see how I do against this year time.

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:13 | 880 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 77/94
Overall: 77/1460
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Well this was the first time I had ever seen a course so I was confused as to which buoys were the ones I was to have on my right or left and had to keep asking random people. First race and very nervous. The course layout was counter clockwise, triangle shaped, single lap.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:04 | 12 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/94
Overall: 0/1460
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: By the lake up to the bridge, over bridge and along I-90 a bit the back over bridge along lake and into transition.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:03 | 03.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/94
Overall: 0/1460
Performance: Average
Course: Around Seward park and up a small hill, then around the rest of the Park to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-29 11:24 AM

Subject: Benaroya Research Institute Triathlon at SEAFAIR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Benaroya Research Institute Triathlon at SEAFAIR Rss Feed