General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Courmayeur,
Italy
Total Time = 24h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 920/2053
Age Group = SE H 23-39
Age Group Rank = 393/489
Run
  • 24h 26m
  • 98 kms
  • 14m 58s  min/km
Comments:

This race started in Courmayeur, Italy; passed by Champex, Switzerland; and finished in Chamonix, France. Racers from 54 different countries set out to cover 98 kilometers and 5600 meters of climbing through the most spectacular scenery: the Mont Blanc mountain range.

I ran with my wife. To make a long story short, we both had recently gotten injured. I had dropped a 35-lb weight on my big toe and broken it six weeks before the race, and she had a second-degree ankle sprain only 3 weeks before race day.

We set out to do our best to finish. This was a very tough race. But the people, atmosphere, scenery and organization were the best I've ever experienced.

I struggled under the heat for the first seven hours but managed to recover for the rest of the race. This was unexpected as I train in the heat (Venezuela). Mayde had stomach issues during most of the race.

We had completed a 92km race in Spain this February, but this course made that one look like a walk in the park. The cutoffs were also extremely tight. Slow folks like us had little room for error. It's a good thing we're stubborn and kept pushing and pushing the whole time.

Constantly changing mountain weather. Long climbs and endless downhills.

Fortunately, our injuries did not come into play, but the fitness we may have lost during the down time was definitely missed.

This was a real test for us, but we managed to get through it. Corny as it may sound, I most likely couldn't have done it without her.
What would you do differently?:

I run lots of hills and mountains in training. In fact, I've altogether stopped triathlon training to prepare for these events, but this race was so tremendously steep that, even taking those aspects into account, I would need to refocus my training. Also, I carried too much food and other not entirely necessary stuff in my backpack. A more minimalistic approach would be better since the aid stations are incredible.
Post race
Event comments:

This was the hardest thing I've ever done, by far. But also the most incredible experience of my life so far.

I would definity recommend this race to anyone interested in ultramarathons. In only 7 years, the Ultratrail du Mont Blanc has become the most important mountain race in the world. There's a 98km version and a 166km one as well; the latter is considered the "big leagues".

We qualified for the 100-mile version next year, so we'll be there again in 2010 and will definitely be better prepared.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
24:26:00 | 98 kms | 14m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 393/489
Overall: 911/2053
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-29 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix

2010-04-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2432847

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix

yea, i know im late, but this rr deserves some love.

awesome job, and congrats on the UTMB qualifcation!

happy training

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix Rss Feed