General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
Danskin Women's Triathlon
50'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 536/1714
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 104/250
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight in a local hotel with two girlfriends, one was s snorer, so it wasn't a great night's sleep! Woke up at 5:00 and got ready, tried to swallow some oatmeal, but I was too anxious to eat much. On the road at about 6:00 but went none of us read the parking info for race day. So, we ended up walking about 1 1/2 miles to the transition area. Didn't give us much time to get nervous!
Event warmup:

Walked around the lake to the swim start area. Got in the lake and tried to get used to the water and the wetsuit, swam for a few minutes. Water temp was perfect.
Swim
  • 15m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very happy with this swim, started in the middle and on the outside. Plan was to free style the whole way and I did this with minimal stopping so I wouldn't get kicked. This was a great beginner's race as they had lifeguards all around and would throw a noodle to you if needed.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a bit more in the front for a race with so many beginners. I had to stop and go around people several times. All the open water swims I have been doing really eased my nerves and this was my best Tri swim out of the four I have done.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

This was pretty good - with such a large race and large transition area, I couldn't go much faster.

Not much, I went pretty fast (for me!)
Bike
  • 47m 36s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This ended up better than I expected. I have not been biking much at all lately and definitely nothing hilly. The course was a bit longer than 12.4, but I'm not sure how much longer.

Train more on my bike. I'm not fast. Convince myself that I need clip-ins rather than cages...
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

I walked into transition and pretty much all the way to rack my bike. My legs felt like lead. Tried to run out of transition, but they had a water stop right there and I'm not very graceful at the run/drink thing.

Try to do more bike/run bricks in training since I did not do a single one.... And push myself harder once I am off my bike.
Run
  • 30m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very surprised by my run time here. This was my fastest 5k ever. All of my training runs have me well over 10/mile pace so this is good for me and I walked some of the course. I was told the course was short by about 200 - 225 feet which doesn't make much of a difference.

Try not to walk at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my two friends to cross the finish line and gave them both a big hug!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training - especially on the bike.

Event comments:

This was a well run race and I enjoyed it. There are a few complaints though - check-in only went until 4pm on the day before. This was a challenge since we live 2 hours away and all had plans for Saturday that we needed to cancel. Upon arrival, the only race shirts left were size Large and they were SMALL! My two firends don't fit in them and I barely do. For such a costly event, I would expect to have the size shirt I ordered and one that fits me. The post-race activities were nice, typical food/water/gatorade and they had a band playing near the lake. I would do this one again!

Last updated: 2009-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:58 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/250
Overall: 356/1714
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit
Course: Straight across the lake
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:36 | 12.4 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Overall: 775/1714
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty smooth with a few rolling hills - nice course. I like that you could see other racers in the opposite direction - helps to make me go a bit faster and takes my mind off of the course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:13 | 03.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 705/1714
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back on the road and then the path along the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-29 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Madison
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed