General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atrial Septal Defect and IM Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-29 9:23 PM

User image

Subject: Atrial Septal Defect and IM Training

Hello fellow BTer’s,

Yesterday I found out I have a heart condition known as Atrial Septal Defect, or ASD.  At the age of 40 and as a rather fit and healthy individual this has come as a BIG surprise. Currently I am training for my first full Iron Man. Actually I have been following the 20 week beginners program and have (or had) 9 weeks to go until race date. My diagnosis came after I went to the GP due to shortness of breath on excursion. While I’m just a middle of the pack guy, I felt that my breathing should be easier based on my level of training and overall health.  As it turns out, I have good reason.

I’m now in the position of deciding if I should compete in the event. I will take the advise of my cardiologist, but this may take a few weeks as I have to have a number of other tests. With only 9 weeks to go I am at the point where I need to put in some serious hours. At this stage the doctors have said I can train, but do not push it. I'm not really sure they understand what that type of comment means to a triathlete...

Have any BTer’s got a similar story? My feeling is I have completed numerous Marathons and a 70.3 with this condition, so why stop…But a FULL IM is a completely separate kettle of fish..

Cheers, Paul

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atrial Septal Defect and IM Training Rss Feed