Hightstown Parks and Recreation Committee
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 19m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little later as the site is only 10 minutes from my house and I had no desire to get there too early as I could hear the rain pounding the windows all night and when I woke up. Took my time drinking some fluids and double checking everything. Went over to Dad's to pick him up and get our customary bagels. Got to the site at 6:20 and had to talk a volunteer into letting me unload Dad in one of the closed off lots as it's hard to maneuver his chair over long distances. Dropped him off and went and found "legal" parking.
Event warmup:

It was still raining pretty good off and on and just dark and cold out. Set up transition but felt all out of sorts as kept forgetting things or where they were. Went to go check the water out to make the wetsuit decision and as I was going under heard someone say no one in the water at this time without lifeguards. Got out and hung out for a bit and checked on Dad. They then put some lifeguards in the water and gave us 10 minutes to swim. Did a quick 25 out and back just to check it out and get over the shock/smell of the water as it was looking a little nasty from all the rain lately. Waited a long time during the pre-race meeting and I was outright freezing and couldn't wait to get back in the water.
Swim
  • 11m 49s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

On go I was about 10 feet of the starting line so I was in clean water to start. Got clobbered once within 20 seconds and then about 1 minute later someone's hand hooked my watch and it was holding on by a thread. Popped under water and tightened it back up. That threw me off for a bit as I struggled to get any rhythm. I started to get those thoughts of side or back stroke. I then thought of some words I've seen on BT before (Abbie or Happychick I'm not sure) but outloud I said toughen up buttercup and kept on going and got relaxed. From there on out I just concentrated on staying straight which I did pretty well. Felt good to hit the last buoy and make my 1st left to the exit ramp. 100% improvement over last year.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get frazzled especially in a sprint. Swimming that distance is and should be easy for me so just relax!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Ran up the ramp and to my bike which was at the 1st ramp. With everything so wet it wasn't easy getting my socks and bike shoes on. Once on I ran pretty hard with the bike to the mount line and off I went. Had a little trouble clipping in my right cleat.

Probably should just bike without socks as it just wastes time. Especially in a sprint race bike distance.
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of transition I passed 3 or 4 people right away and then I didn't see anyone for quite some time. I think this affected me as I probably fell into training ride mode and wasn't pushing it enough. Eventually was caught by a few and caught a few. At one point I was passed by and passed back a small little thing which was good as it gave me motivation to push it some. With the wet course I definitely wasn't aggressive on the turns and lost time and momentum on them.

Empty the bucket on the bike. I have to trust myself and just go for it on the bike more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Feet and hands were both cold and a bit numb. This messed me up with my right sneaker as I had to tie it 3 times to get it even reasonably set to start my run. Felt like I was in there forever!

Gotta look into those Yankz or something to make this a bit easier.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out I had 3 people in my sights who had just passed me on the bike who I thought I should be able to catch on the run. I was right and caught and passed them all by the 1st run path we hit. For awhile I was basically alone again so I think mentally I relaxed a bit. About 1/2 mile of that and a young girl passed me so I pushed a bit to try and keep up with her even though she appeared to have a pace going that I wouldn't be able to keep all the way in. What that did though was catch me up to 1/2 dozen or so other runners. I was able to pass all but one but I was determined to get him too as I believe it was the same person I didn't try and get at NJ State and I didn't want that again. I passed him right before the 2nd run path and the plastic bridge thing and then a volunteer mentioned just 1 mile to go. I tried lengthening my stride a bit and picked it up enough to put 100 or more feet between me and him leading into the last bit and the finish chute. I managed to run in pretty strong right through the line.

This and the swim will be my winter focus. I have to get back the 2 minutes or so I lost in the 5K this year and will do that over the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

Was still drizzling and when not running/biking was a bit cold. Hung out with my friend Jared who decided not to race do to the weather but showed up to cheer us on and waited for Mike who decided to race. Found Dad and tried to figure out the best way to get him out of there and the best place I could move the car to that he could get to.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always just life and time to train.

Event comments:

The race was much more organized with a much improved bike route from last year. If we can just get a year without rain I could give this race an honest assessment.

Last updated: 2009-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:49 | 440 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Kind of like a hybrid P or R shape course but with plenty of big buoys for siting.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:04 | 12 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Two 6 mile loops with just 3 left hand turns per loop with a final right on the 2nd loop to get you back to transition. Flat.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Course: Windy, mostly flat course run partially on gravel running paths with a small section on a plastic bridge type of thing.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes