United States
Premier Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 25s
Overall Rank = 164/2529
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/269
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and hit the road. Had an Ensure in the car followed by a banana. Also began sipping on a serving of Ultragen with water troughout the morning. We hit the main transition area to prep the bike run set-up and then headed to the swim start with all of our other stuff. Sat in the car for awhile and just mentally prepared for the day.
Wetsuit on and hit a some liquid shot before the swim. We walked down and hung out for a bit before Watson realized we should probably get our timing chips so we ran down to pick them up and hustled back. Watson was in the wave in front of me so he really had to get ready quickly.
Event warmup:

Nothing significant ---- probably need to stretch a bit before a race!!!
Swim
  • 22m 51s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid swim ... out in front with a fast pack for a bit but couldn't maintain pace with them so I pulled back and swam solo for the rest of the race. Wish I could have stayed up with the leaders but the minute or two I would have gained would have probably impacted my bike early on.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe make every stroke count a bit more - not allow myself to be lazy at verious times throughout the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Fairly slow transition but some of that can be attributed to the long run to and in transition to get to my bike. I was fairly slow getting it together but at most I could have saved 30-45s - although that would have put me under my sub 4:45 goal for the race.....hindsight is 20/20!

Execute!
Bike
  • 2h 31m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Really feel like I had a good bike! I never over exerted myself knowing/hoping I'd be able to put together a very solid run coming off the bike. Passed by a few strong cyclists but decided against trying to ride with them for 56 as I did at Eagleman...I didn't want to over exert myself too early. I did ride strong though and actually ended up staying with and catching a number of other strong cyclists - mainly b/c I was able to pass everybody on any of the inclines and hills. I felt very strong on the inclines but never overdid it.

Maybe -- just maybe I should have let it go a little more on the bike since my run couldn't have been much slower. Definitely could have driven through the inclines with some more "push" b/c I definitely felt good on them!
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Still not the quickest into my shoes after racking the bike but I'll just continue to try and improve!

Execute!
Run
  • 1h 45m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Bottom line is that I couldn't put a solid run together coming off the bike again! I truly felt like I had trained well enough to run a 7:30-7:45 pace for the run and I came up short. I am really only disappointed in the fact I walked 2-3 times in addition to the aid stations. Another reason that I had a significantly slower run time and consequently missed my goal time!

I have to believe if I continue to work at the running piece the way I have the last few weeks I will improve my 70.3 run in preparation for Eagleman. Also curious if a bike focus would help the run as I was told by another guy who drastically improved his running ability off the bike - saying he focused more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Water - sitting - a little food - my 1st post race massage - 2 recovery drinks(ultragen) - a little stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, cramping, hip area pain again coming off the bike, mental toughness?????

Event comments:

Just a great experience for my 2nd "official" 70.3 race. Had a great weekend with Watson and enjoyed the entire thing. Only difficult thing was missing the girls for the 4 days - it's a long time to be away but there was no way we could have cut any time b/c we needed the prep time and travel time!
I really hope to do an event like this at least once a year!

Last updated: 2009-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:51 | 2143 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/269
Overall: 105/2529
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Apex 2
Course: Point to point down the Savannah River
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:31:16 | 56 miles | 22.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/269
Overall: 140/2529
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling course throughout SC and back into Augusta, GA.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:45:55 | 13.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/269
Overall: 326/2529
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course through downtown Augusta - flat and parts of it were shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes