in reply to: #2447955

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: RE: Any vegetarian IMers?
gymgirlx - 2009-10-07 1:33 PM

lisac957 - 2009-10-07 9:52 AM

SCD44 - 2009-10-06 10:07 PM
I've read that most of the really competitive triathletes are meat eaters and that Veg's are slower

Where have you read this???
PLEASE! Enlighten us.

WOAH, i missed this!!! WHAT!!!???

also curious where that tidbit came from.

i have been basically macrobiotic (eat fish, no other meat, no eggs/no dairy) for about 10 years. not that i'm such a stellar athlete (though i chalk that up to a. genetics and b. lack of serious training regime) i have little issue with long endurance stuff. i eat sufficient protein and am aware of nutritional requirements.

my husband, who follows the same diet, is a pretty damn stellar athlete, with several IM's and also speed on the short course (generally in the top 3 overall in local races and placing in larger regional races, at 43).

so i'm curious about vegetarians are slower.

2009-10-07 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2437538

Veteran
South Jersey (Cherry Hill)
I will locate the page number, but am heading out of town, so I will not be able to locate until next week.  The source was Triathlete Magazine's Triathlon Training Guide Book.    I believe it was in the section discussing nutrition. 
2009-10-07 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2448163

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

SCD44 - 2009-10-07 3:02 PM I will locate the page number, but am heading out of town, so I will not be able to locate until next week.  The source was Triathlete Magazine's Triathlon Training Guide Book.    I believe it was in the section discussing nutrition. 

Oh the source was Triathlete Magazine? I'd be extremely interested to see the scientific references/resources cited to back up this claim.

Pretty bold to come into an IM Vegetarian thread and essentially tell us we're slow. Undecided

Edited by lisac957 2009-10-07 3:12 PM
2009-10-07 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Throwing my comments in the mix - do not eat meat and feel terrific, take a multi-vitamin.
I eat beans, soy, whey protein, yogurt, use soy meat from Boca to cook with.  

This has been my lifestyle for over 20+ years and I have always been very active.

I do not notice that I have any less energy, am never sick,have no injuries, and do just fine at any race distance IM or shorter, marathon's etc.  

Yep-  in those final weeks before a big race I am tired, but that is totally normal and I do not attribute that to my diet at all.
So, being tired/having low energy could just be your body saying "Hey, I am tired" and maybe you just need some extra rest.
Laughing
2009-10-07 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2448188

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
lisac957 - 2009-10-07 3:11 PM

SCD44 - 2009-10-07 3:02 PM I will locate the page number, but am heading out of town, so I will not be able to locate until next week.  The source was Triathlete Magazine's Triathlon Training Guide Book.    I believe it was in the section discussing nutrition. 

Oh the source was Triathlete Magazine? I'd be extremely interested to see the scientific references/resources cited to back up this claim.

Pretty bold to come into an IM Vegetarian thread and essentially tell us we're slow. Undecided

I agree I would like to see the references for this also, as I have never came across this in anything I have read.

2009-10-07 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2448208

Veteran
Not a personal attack or being bold.  Just paraphrasing Mike Fitzgerald's book on triathlete training and trying to make an informed decision regarding the health aspects of going veg or not. 

Is the source scientific?  I'm not sure.  I believe the author paraphrased a particular study, but I won't be able to look up right now.     

Obviously the best sources would be those found in peer-reviewed journals, perhaps even lit reviews or meta-analyses  that synthesize/analyze a body of empirical literature on the subject.   

2009-10-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2448257

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
SCD44 - 2009-10-07 3:35 PM Not a personal attack or being bold.  Just paraphrasing Mike Fitzgerald's book on triathlete training and trying to make an informed decision regarding the health aspects of going veg or not. 

Is the source scientific?  I'm not sure.  I believe the author paraphrased a particular study, but I won't be able to look up right now.     

Obviously the best sources would be those found in peer-reviewed journals, perhaps even lit reviews or meta-analyses  that synthesize/analyze a body of empirical literature on the subject.   

How is that not a personal attack to say vegetairians are slow, in a vegetarian thread? Unless being slow is a desirable trait these days...

2009-10-07 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2448283

New user

lisac957 - 2009-10-07 3:48 PM

SCD44 - 2009-10-07 3:35 PM Not a personal attack or being bold.  Just paraphrasing Mike Fitzgerald's book on triathlete training and trying to make an informed decision regarding the health aspects of going veg or not. 

How is that not a personal attack to say vegetairians are slow, in a vegetarian thread? Unless being slow is a desirable trait these days...

Easy, killer - the poster already said that he/she is merely summarizing what Fitzgerald wrote in his book.
2009-10-07 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2448346

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
TommySnark - 2009-10-07 4:12 PM

Easy, killer - the poster already said that he/she is merely summarizing what Fitzgerald wrote in his book.

Sorry, but even a summary is still pretty rude to post in this particular thread.
I mean, I would never go to the "Tri'ing for Weight Loss" or "Clydes/Athena" forums and tell them that overweight people are slow, no matter how many books or studies I had to back it up! Maybe Im just too nice...

Edited by lisac957 2009-10-07 6:35 PM
2009-10-08 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2448557

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
lisac957 - 2009-10-07 7:29 PM

Sorry, but even a summary is still pretty rude to post in this particular thread.
I mean, I would never go to the "Tri'ing for Weight Loss" or "Clydes/Athena" forums and tell them that overweight people are slow, no matter how many books or studies I had to back it up! Maybe Im just too nice...

It is a fact that fat people are slower.... look at me for example
2009-10-11 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2448557

Veteran

Go back and re-read the original thread. This has nothing to do with you, or what seems to be your own issues.  The original poster posed a a reasonable question which deserves an evidence based reply. 

Your contributions to this thread have merely been personal attacks (e.g., rude, bold) to my initial attempt to problem-solve and help the OP.   Really, is it your style to hurl insult and/or criticize those who might present evidence, whether incomplete or not, that contradicts your position?

Would my paraphrasing of an author been more credible and eluded attack had I stated upfront that I am a vegetarian?  Why the hell would I be in this thread in the first place? But, thank goodness we don't have to be bright to participate in triathlon. 

2009-10-12 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I pre-phrased my initial post with "not trying to start a debate", LOL. Thought someone might chime in with something negative! After 30+ years of being vegetarian, I am used to it.

Thanks again all, the great ideas and reassurance from athletes has made me feel a lot better! I have been consistently training 16 hours+ per week lately and dont feel anymore tired than my training partners. In fact I feel pretty darn good

I did get the Thrive Diet book, great reading and resources. I also picked up the vanilla hemp protein from Sprouts (local grocery store here in AZ) and have used it a few times although from what I have learned, my protein intake is pretty high already.  

Train well!

2009-10-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2454419

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
SCD44 - 2009-10-11 10:38 PM

Go back and re-read the original thread. This has nothing to do with you, or what seems to be your own issues.  The original poster posed a a reasonable question which deserves an evidence based reply. 

Your contributions to this thread have merely been personal attacks (e.g., rude, bold) to my initial attempt to problem-solve and help the OP.   Really, is it your style to hurl insult and/or criticize those who might present evidence, whether incomplete or not, that contradicts your position?

Would my paraphrasing of an author been more credible and eluded attack had I stated upfront that I am a vegetarian?  Why the hell would I be in this thread in the first place? But, thank goodness we don't have to be bright to participate in triathlon.  

Well, you have yet to provide any evidence of your original statement saying that vegetarians are slower (even though you just posted that it deserves and evidence-based reply). Still waiting on that one. In my book, "evidence" does not mean "well I read somewhere that someone said this one thing..."

How have I personally attacked you? I'm simply asking you to back up your statement, or concede that it is merely opinion (which is fine). You've done neither. How is asking for a reference insulting? I am very interested in seeing it, whether it contradicts my opinion or not. Again, you have not provided anything yet.

If you'll read the whole thread, you'll see that I'm not the only one asking you for this information.

And speaking of personal attacks, thanks for the last sentence in your post. Classy.

Edited by lisac957 2009-10-12 9:54 AM
2009-10-12 5:17 PM

Veteran
The literature is equivocal on the matter of whether a lacto-ovo veg diet is better or worse than a traditional diet for both endurance and strength activities.  Some articles say yes, while other say no difference if sufficient protein is consumed.   The literature suggests that a vegan diet will have a deleterious effect on performance. I did not have time for more than a brief review. See references below for those who are interested in pursuing this further. 

However, here's an interesting piece of information.  Dave Scott, probably one of the most renown IM, is a vegetarian. 

See link for additional elite athletes in both endurance and strength sports:

http://www.jivdaya.org/vegetarian_athletes.htm

In the end, the literature is likely equivocal because the effect of diet is likely person-dependent. 

Campbell WW, Barton ML Jr, Cyr-Campbell D, Davey SL, Beard JL, Parise G, Evans WJ (1999). Effects of an omnivorous diet compared with a lactoovovegetarian diet on resistance-training-induced changes in body composition and skeletal muscle in older men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70, 1032-1039.

Hebbelinck M, Clarys P, Malsche A de (1999). Growth, development, and physical fitness of Flemish vegetarian children, adolescents, and young adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70, 579S-585S

Raben A, Kiens B, Richter EA, Rasmussen LB, Svenstrup B, Micic S, Bennett P  (1992). Serum sex hormones and endurance performance after a lacto-ovovegetarian and a mixed diet. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 24, 1290-1297

Taytor M, Stanek KL (1989). Anthropometric and dietary assessment of omnivore and lacto-ovo-vegetarian children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 89, 1661-1663

Volek JS, Kraemer WJ, Bush JA, Incledon T, Boetes M (1997). Testosterone and cortisol in relationship to dietary nutrients and resistance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology 82, 49-54
2009-10-18 2:00 AM
in reply to: #2446699

User image

Expert
San mateo California
SCD44 - 2009-10-06 9:07 PM
velasqu7 - 2009-10-04 8:29 PM Been a vegetarian for over 8 years now... I have completed several ironman tris, but also in addition, I have done a bunch of ultras, including 100 milers and 100K's. I even went Vegan this year and I got to say, I love it.. I have found that being a vegetarian is not a big deal, being Vegan on the other hand is. I had to make sure I was consuming enough protein and vitamins B12 and B6. So, yes it can be done...

I would imagine, like anything else in life, that this depends upon the individual.  I've read that most of the really competitive triathletes are meat eaters and that Veg's are slower.  From a physiological standpoint, this makes sense.  However, the above thread is quite impressive--this person does ultra endurance races and I guess is fairly injury free?? 

For moral reasons, I wish I could sustain a vegetarian lifestyle.  But, I just feel tired all the time if I do not eat poultry or fish.  (I compromise by avoiding consumption of mammals).  In the end, I imagine it is person dependent. 

But, this thread is intriguing and I'd love to see the hard science on the impact of a veg diet on endurance sports.

BTW, what is a 100K race??

A 100k race is a 100 kilometers running as in 5k, 10k 100k..    
I got to say,   I don;t even know what impact meat will be in my endurance since I have been a vegetarian longer than I have been an endurance junkie.     I am not competitive,  I will not win any races,  but I have fun doing them.  The minute I start thinking about winning or posting a faster time is the minute I stop having fun, and I am not going to do that.

Yes,  it depends on individuals,  I am very fortunate that I have been able to balance my vegetarian diet and my love for endurance sports..  
Check out my blog..  velasqu7.blogspot.com,  I put my racing adventures there...  en yes they are fueled by greens only..  
2009-10-20 10:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-10-29 6:54 PM

Master
South Florida

IN taper mode so I have time for reading the forums   I was a vegetarian for 15 years but craved meat with my second preganancy, so I ate it...that was 10 years ago.  Last year on Jan 1st I went back to being a vegetarian..not a vegan, and I do eat fish-not at every meal, and I have never felt better.  I am doing IMFL in 9 days and expect to have a good race.  I never really felt like I processed protein from animal sources well...even fish gives me that same feeling but sometimes it's just out of convenience for me. 

I don't take supplements.  I have not been sick that I can remember this year.  I dropped several percentages of body fat as well as some pounds, gained some muscle and have had a strong season this year.   PRed in all my races.  It's not for everyone, just about what finding what works for you. 

2009-10-29 9:20 PM

Rock Springs, Wyoming

From Wikipedia:

During the period in which he won all six of his Hawaiian triathlons Dave Scott followed a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet.

2009-10-29 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2488103

Master
South Florida
MDVJR - 2009-10-29 10:20 PM

From Wikipedia:

During the period in which he won all six of his Hawaiian triathlons Dave Scott followed a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet.

Cool!!!!
2009-11-04 8:40 AM

Hello = )

I've been a vegan for approximately 3 years now and I have no doubt that the need for meat protein is a myth.  Prior to becoming vegan, I was on a strict diet and attempted to eat as much protein as possible as well as eat 6-8 times a day in order to gain muscle mass.  It didn't work.  Since becoming vegan, I don't watch my protein/carb/fat intake, I eat as needed and I've actually gained muscle mass.  I've gained approximately 10-15 pounds of muscle over about 2 years.  I'm 27, 5'11 and used to not be able to get above 145lbs (I was skinny, haha) now I'm at about 160 and am in the best shape of my life. 

Now, I've just started my FIM training yesterday, so I'm sure that I will need to adjust my intake to accommodate for the added workouts (I'm also on p90x) but I don't see foresee any problems in the upcoming months.  I'm amazed at the amount of false ideas that people have regarding a vegetarian/vegan diet.  Anyway... I've heard criticism for the vegan diet prior to and especially during my time as being vegan.  It's just one of those things that will constantly be there and I don't really care.  I know how I feel about it and I can respectfully advise people who ask me about the health benefits and the moral benefits of the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.  But I'm not going to force my beliefs on someone. I go on doing what I'm doing and I'm happy with it = )

Anyway, thanks for the useful info in this thread!

---Daniel
2009-11-05 1:24 AM
in reply to: #2496820

Expert
San mateo California

I found this today,  check Scott Jurek at the bottom of the page..   Amazing athlete....   

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/080616&sportCat=mlb

Luis 

2009-11-07 4:08 PM

I don't track my protein, carbs, etc.   I know I have a really healthy vegetarian diet, and get lots of protein from all the sources others have already listed here.  I make a fresh fruit shake with added soy protein every morning.  I also make sure I get enough good carbs before my big weekend workouts.  I've definitely learned to eat more throughout the day during IM training, and have felt great!!  I also believe hydration is as important to training as diet.  If I had any issues early on with fatigue during training, it was a hydration issue.  I had to learn to dial that in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any vegetarian IMers? Rss Feed  

of 2