Premier Event Management
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 37m 36s
Overall Rank = 2514/2519
Age Group = Athenas 40+
Age Group Rank = 17/17
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Augusta on Friday and drove over to the Fifth Street Marina. We found the swim start, but didn't see transition anywhere. Eventually, we figured out we had to go 1.2 miles downriver and there it was!! We took pictures and acted like dorks, then picked up our packets and dropped some serious coin at the expo. There were millions of peaches, but none of them were free.

Saturday we headed back to watch the course video and listen to the course talk and were lucky enough to meet Tara Costa (from Biggest Loser). She was very friendly and it was nice to chat with a kindred spirit...tho she really didn't know *just* how much we had in common. Bike check-in went smoothly and we were lucky to avoid lines everywhere. We went looking for dinner away from downtown and the Garmin led us to an awesome Italian restaurant where I had yummy baby cow. We picked up Krispy Kreme for breakfast the following morning.

Race day, we got up without an alarm and were raring to go. The electrical smoke that two firemen triathletes and I had hunted down the night before in our hotel didn't burn us down and now we had no excuses to avoid racing. We got to transition early enough to find a decent parking place and got set up. Met a lot of cool people in my transition rack and admired the very smart girl who put a plastic garbage bag over her transition stuff. My lesson learned from the Florida 70.3 last year was a half-marathon sucks in wet shoes...so I had planned to turn my shoes upside down, the bag trick was even better...and she had an extra one that she gave away...I was all set! Took pictures of hubby in transition and met a fellow BTer in his cool 'body suit.' We caught the bus to the swim start and waited around for 2 hours.
Swim
  • 35m 9s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had to walk down these stairs to a floating dock and then jump in for an in-water start. My first thought was that the water had to be much, much colder than 70 degrees. I tried to keep the icy water from making too much contact with my skin by warming up my wetsuit...yay! Sometime during the waiting around, I had nudged my watch 'start button' and as I hit 'start' when the horn went off, the dumb polar was asking me if I wanted to merge workouts. I really wanted good data, so I took a second or two to respond and start my watch properly. This meant I was the LAST person to start the race. Last person in the last wave. The bright side of this was that I was never swamped by the wave behind!

This was my best swim ever....I took it very nice and easy and felt like I was flying by the people around me...well, until I swam into a kayak and tried to swim into a few boats, but hey, we know sighting isn't my strength. Speaking of flying, there was a lot of debris in that water that kept floating by. It was almost like watching a parade of stuff go by. I felt sorry for all the folks that weren't used to murky tannic water with things floating in it. As one thing hit my ankle on the way past my body, I realized that it was my timing chip trying to break free. I stopped and tightened it. This probably cost me a minute or two. There was a girl in my wave who had a pretty miserable swim and kept moaning with each stroke and kept hanging on to a kayak on every other stroke. It seemed like the kayak was towing her down river, but I'm pretty sure she was swimming on her own, but just kept touching it. Thankfully, I was able to pass her and didn't have to listen to it the whole time. I started hearing people say were were almost there when my watch said 25 min. I had expected to only be about halfway, so I didn't really believe them, but it was true. I got out of the water in record time...thank you current!!
Transition 1
  • 06m 38s
Comments:

Struggled with unzipping my wetsuit all the way up to transition. Finally got it unzipped as I approached the peelers. I opted to take it off myself tho and headed to my transition spot.
Bike
  • 4h 03m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started off with a really sweet tailwind....fanning my dreams of sub-8 glory. I felt totally unstoppable with my 30 min 'buffer' toward my goal. I planned to keep the mph average to 15.5 and with the time saved on the swim, it could drop to 15 and I'd be fine. I knew it was going to be a good day. All of sudden, I had about 10 miles done and was feeling GREAT. At mile 15, we approached a big (for a FL girl) climb and though it was tough, I didn't think it was too bad. This feeling continued....these hills are hard, but not impossible. I did notice that my average started dropping....and the huge speed on the downhill wasn't making up for the 4mph on the way up. I tried not to worry too much about it....I still had my buffer. The one thing that was terribly annoying was the motorcycle that seemed stuck to my rear wheel. Here's were starting in the last wave really stinks. I had never spent hours listening to a harley idle right behind me before, and I didn't want to start. Unfortunatlely, I had no choice. The rider was very nice and kept saying encouraging things, but I don't think it ever entered his mind that anyone would not LOVE listening to buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh for 4 straight hours.

The race folks and volunteers did an awesome job manning the bottle exchanges and marking the course---prolly the BEST job I've seen at any race. I made friends with Chris (chzonke) and we kept trading places on the course. The brief banter made the ride go by much faster. There was only one climb that seemed particularly challenging and there were a few folks walking it up that one. I started to unclip and join them, but then toughened up and stayed on the bike. I did not get tempted to walk again during the ride. My favorite part was a particularly long downhill....I hit 40 mph...wheeeeeee!

Though my bike average had dropped down to the low 14s, I still felt like I could catch up on the last 9 miles that were all downhill. These 9 miles, directly into the wind, turned out to be the toughest miles on the course. Going over the bridge back into Georgia, I could FEEL the sand blasting me in the calves.....ouch!

Getting back to T2 was a relief and I stopped for a second to high-five Chris...we made it!
Transition 2
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

I guess I was already suffering from 'race stupidity' cuz I did some dumb things, like spray sunscreen on my shoulder, then put my shirt on. Then remember I didn't want to wear the wet singlet underneath. I know I was just a picture of Southern Belle Class sitting in the grass, changing my shirt-flash wet stinky sportsbra- while I was peeing next to my transition area. Yes, I did. I splattered water all over and cooled down.
Run
  • 3h 44m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 17m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off feeling really good...reflecting that even though the bike too horrifically long, this was going to be so much easier than last year and I didn't feel like I was overheated or anything. I jogged the first mile at the expected pace I wanted to keep. The second mile was a minute longer than I wanted but I still felt good. Each mile that passed, I was running slower and slower...until I felt like I was going faster by walking. Great. I really started to worry about being cut. Everyone around me was on their second lap and celebrating the end of their race, while I had many more miles to go. At this point, it got harder to navigate....my brain wasn't processing memories of the course map and the volunteers were not really directing people anymore...since for most it was a repeat of what they'd done already. It was tough trying to figure out the space between the finish line and the second lap start. Anyways, it was all about moving forward. At the start of the second lap, a volunteer offered to pour cold water down my back. At first I declined, but then thought 'what the hell.'...the ice water felt GREAT.....until it ran down my ankle into my sock. About a mile later, I felt the hot spot on the bottom of the ball of my foot. Unfortunately, I didn't have any lube with me....a bit later, I saw a tri car stopped at the red light and asked them for something..they let me use some of their chamois butter and I took my sock off and slathered my foot with it. This helped a lot, but it was prolly a little too late and once again I have a huge blister. Going past the finish line for the third time was awful. Having the motorcycle gang behind me for the last three miles was awful. Finishing last is awful. Its hard to feel good about a 22 min PR when you are dead flippin last. Overall, I didn't have the slowest times in the bike, swim or run....nor did I have the longest time overall....but starting 2 hours after the race started sure made me FEEL like I did.

I'm mostly disappointed in the run. This was a great run course....all shady and just the kind of course I should be able to do well at. Someday, someday I'll have a good run in a triathlon. Someday.

The best part of the race was just up ahead....finishing! My husband was there to greet me with my finisher's medal...that was awesome!!
Post race
Event comments:

Once we got to Augusta, events were very well organized...especially considering the start and finish lines were not by transition. Overall, I thought PEM did a very nice job...esp considering it was an inaugural race. I sure wish I could have started earlier than 9:07...maybe have bigger waves or less time between them?

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:09 | 2143 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 2331/2519
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:38
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:03:27 | 56 miles | 13.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 2486/2519
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:44:05 | 13.1 miles | 17m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 2512/2519
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-01 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-10-01 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2437611

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Great job gutting it out Irene Congrats..why they put the people who potentially could be the slowest in teh last wave is the stupidest thing.  Congrats   PS you never want to ride San Anotion...the motorcycles sneak up on you like a herd of buffalo

2009-10-01 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2437611

User image

Raleigh
HEAD UP GIRL!!! You finished. I know it feels odd to be the last one out there (i started in the 8:50 group and was one of the later few) and that it can be discouraging.

Most people have no idea how hard it was to plan, train, and FINISH what you just did.

I do not know you and I am proud of you... you have beaten something mentally and physically that would break 90% of the population down.

2009-10-14 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2438027

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

rugb_wngr - 2009-10-01 9:47 PM ...
Most people have no idea how hard it was to plan, train, and FINISH what you just did.

I do not know you and I am proud of you... you have beaten something mentally and physically that would break 90% of the population down.

Slave_Diver, I could not agree with rugb_wngr more except for the 90% number.  I am sure that is closer to 99% than 90%.  You beat 100% of the people that sat on the couch that day.  I do triathlons for exercise.  It is people like you that give me the inspiration to tough it out.  I have been telling my daughter for years that it takes a whole lot more character to finish in the back of the pack on a regular basis than it does to finish at the front.  Inspiration is easy when you are winning.  It takes a special person to finish in the back and come back for more.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed