USAT
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 14s
Overall Rank = 9/177
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/21
Pre-race routine:

Easy drive from Acworth, woke up early, ran from water exit to transition, took about 1:30 non race pace (long distance)
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/2 mile, swam about 100 yards
Swim
  • 08m 36s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on far left and never ran into anyone the whole swim, pretty calm. Did find a pair of feet to draft off at about the 350 yrd mark. Distance was about 500, year before was supposedly 100 short so they lengthened the swim.
What would you do differently?:

None
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Long run (about 300 yards) from water to the T-1 so add about 1:30 to swim just to get to the transitin area. Slipped after mount line, left crank arm was too high to do a flying mount, even though I tried. Didn't notice the open knee until after the race.
Passed couple of people running from water to T, long way so just ran at 5K pace.

pay attention to fast mounting, go slower to go faster!
Bike
  • 31m 55s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs tight after the first climb but pushed through hearing that the mid section was downhill and fast, which it was. Only 2 sips of water so only fill aero bottle with about 4 oz next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Two kids were sitting right in front of my shoes, Why in T-2??? No worries, just racked the bike, slipped on shoes (thanks yankz) and took off.
Run
  • 24m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs surprisingly felt fine after the bike, just winded, proud to push through the mental block of "here's a hill, it's ok to walk", never gave in. The course marshall on the cyclocross bike was fun to try to chase. Then the off course excursion around mile 1.5 made for an adrenaline rush which kept me distracted for another 10 minutes. At the last hill, one guy on my tail for over 1 mile, I figured I'd let him go if he passed, but I ended up dropping him on the final climb, that's a first.

Do more trail running, that is fun but hard work.
Post race
Event comments:

Well organized with a bunch of volunteers and not too high stress, really casual feel to the race, which is relaxing. Course marked well, just needed to pay attention better. The run course is a lot more fun than the standard running through cart paths/concrete, etc since it is trail running. Bike course, although not closed to traffic, roads were back roads mostly and almost no traffic. Swim, well who doesn't want to swim under a low bridge!

Last updated: 2009-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:36 | 500 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 21/177
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Wave start - 3min intervals based on estimated swim time (not age group). About 40 per wave. Couple bouys, under bridge, then out. Water exit to Transition was about 300 yards over the grass, long way but not steep (included in swim time)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:55 | 12 miles | 22.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 3/177
Wind: None
Course: Moderate climb within first 2 miles then downhill (wooohoo) for next 2, flat to roller for the mid section then at mile 10.5, a tough grade for about 1/2 mile and a slight uphill for the last mile, just in time to burn the legs up going into T-2. Smooth road for the most part but not closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:11 | 03.1 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 14/177
Performance: Average
Course: Trail Run (and I mean real trails, not quite Xterra though). First mile trail ups and downs, more uphills then down. Mile 2-3 was around the lake on partly paved, part trail. Roots, loose dirt, mud, etc. So get around first mile of climbing, the rest was relatively flat, except for 1 final small climb about 1/4 from finish. Fairly well marked with arrows but one did send me off course for a little trekking and serious single track (my mistake for following the guy in front of me), added maybe 200 yards, no biggie.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes