General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1 week old tri-training baby Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-10-02 10:11 AM

Lancaster County, PA
Subject: 1 week old tri-training baby
OK -
Today I completed my FIRST week of TRI-training with my good buddy Donna. I'm a little chubby, just quit smoking 2 months ago, work full-time, go to college full-time, and mom to two teenagers, but i decided that i waste the hours between 6am and 8:30 am, so why not do something crazy?
I feel Great! I'm SO EXCITED. I am following the Beginner Exercise Program that is 8 months long. We have a goal of competing in a sprint tri- in May and another in July....then, who knows? Donna and I both have bodybuilding backgrounds but no endurance stuff (except cross country in HS 18 years ago! HA!) I really like this program. Takes all the thinking off my shoulders and i think it will make it easier. I usually go at things too fast and hard and then quit so this nice easy pace i think will help me make it to May.... Well, so anyway...

HERE I AM!!

2009-10-02 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2438761

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 1 week old tri-training baby
2009-10-02 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome and good luck
2009-10-02 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, all the bodybuilding stuff you know... throw it out the window!

Just kidding... you'll do great as long as you can look forward to that 6am workout and not dread it! Having a training plan is key, good luck and also congrats on quitting smoking!
2009-10-03 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Welcome to BT
2009-10-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2439306

Lancaster County, PA
swimbikeandrun -
you are right about throwing out the bodybuilding....we figured that out Friday after our workout...we were entering the gym getting geared up (go HEAVY or go HOME) mentality and i realized that the focus was the bike....the strength workouts were to ready our muscles for the tri movements not to obtain a certain size or muscle look...so this afternoon we start our 2nd week and we're going in focused on, yes, the whole package but really on the bike. We are following the beginner exerciser and triathlon training which was on this website. It really makes it doable. I have recruited another person already....we're really excited! Thanks for the encouragement.

2009-10-05 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH

Welcome and HAVE FUN!! Congrats on changing your life, but a warning-you WILL become addicted to this sport!

2009-10-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2443371

Lancaster County, PA
jojoswmr -
TOO LATE for the warning!! I've already wasted most of the last few work days on this website! i can not wait to post my workout later this afternoon so that it looks like i'm doing some work! this whole site is fantastic! I'm a competitive person and determined person anyway, so doing something so seemingly overthetop like a tri- is right up my alley. My family is definitely stressing my latest adventrue...
2009-10-06 9:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-06 9:47 PM

congratulations!  quiting smoking going to college having kids all great things and hard things to do.  Sounds like you have caught the tri bug I think it happens to most of us it definetly happened to me a few years ago I never looked back.  Good luck on your training and race I am sure you will do great!
http://ifyoutri.blogspot.com
2009-10-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2446661

Lancaster County, PA
BXGIRL505 -
Well my partner and i have one more workout in our 2nd week left to go....it's been a tough week, i'm not as energized as i was last week. this week the bike riding (we're following the beginner exerciser program) was stepped up just a small tiny notch, but that notch was enough! this morning at 7am i rode 12 miles....it was a good feeling getting OFF the bike! HA! I've been a mountain biker since 2000 and off and on have been very seriously into it, so bike riding is not a big deal to me, but the extra weight i've gained in the last 3 years is making the biking challenging. I think as the weight sheds and the muscles tone and the cardio heals blah blah blah it will be better.... ANY ENCOURAGEMENT today would be greatly welcome as i'm TOO NEW to feel like it's this hard....one nice thing about the program we're doing is it all builds on ea. workout and makes it very doable....OH - i don't have any gear really. My mountain bike prob won't work for the tri and my sneakers are more for looks than running and swimsuit? i don't think the 2 piece will work out....i'm bracing the family for a small dip into savings and have contacted my bike guy to start watching for a road bike for me....ahhhhh, it's good to type on this site, i'm feeling better already.....

HAPPY TRI-TRAINING EVERYBODY!!!!!

2009-10-07 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2447254

Hi!!!!  First.... congrats on quitting smoking.  That is something to be proud of!!!  I , also, am a newbie to this whole triathlon thing, but desperately needed a positive in my life.  I was SO out of shape, but I am steadily working on it.  So far I love the way I feel so much more energized in life from working out.  I hope to try some sprints next spring/summer, too, but need to acquire a bike and a proper suit.  I'm planning on putting the swimsuit on my Xmas list.  Anyway, wanted to introduce myself, wish you luck, and hope to keep 'in touch' on this site so we can keep up our enthusiasm. 
2009-10-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2447254

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-08 6:37 PM

wpb
Nice job! I started cutting weight last year and took up Tris in Feb this year.  Down 46 pounds so far.  Keep up the good work.  There will be good weeks and bad weeks.  Fight through it and keep it going.
2009-10-09 10:05 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!! on changing your life for the better.  I'm just finishing my 4th week.  I'm 41 y.o. and my kids are young (3,7).  After the first few weeks, it becomes fun and you look forward to the workouts.  Enjoy your time and know that you are doing something healthy, fun and extending your life to see your grandkids (eventually).  Extra kuddos on quitting smoking!!!

Na Zdrowie, to your health!
Basia

"you can be on the right path and still get run over if you're just sitting there!" - ?
2009-10-12 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2451604

Lancaster County, PA
Hey Talked-into-it.... Who talked you into it? Did you thank them yet?? HA! i was immediately excited about your comments. It's great to know that you are in the 4th week, so close to me. I read a lot of these blogs or comments and I'm ALWAYS motivated. But sometimes i feel like i'm the one in the mix that's furthest in the back.... OK, well keep posting stuff! I gotta go check out a website that another member posted as a good resource for logging food and nutrition (http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/mysparkstart.asp) i haven't weighed in yet, will be doing that this coming saturday morning. i am trying to not expect too much, it's a number and it's not the number that's going to control me, but still....i'm a girl! i'm human! i hope i lost some weight!! i'm at 167 now which is about 30 lbs over the limit for me! Anyway - OH! i should change this blog posting to three-week old tri-training baby, because today marked the start of week three. haven't missed a workout yet and doing everything as recommended... feel like i should be working out more and definitely feel like i should be running (we're not running at all right now) but i decided to stick to the program exactly so that i don't burn out, which i frequently do.....HEY EVERYONE! IT'S OCT 12, HOLIDAYS ARE COMING RIGHT UP, BETTER GET OUT AND GET IN THE HABITS NOW!

2009-10-12 8:53 PM

Expert
For someone so busy - you should feel proud of all the changes you are making in your life.  Good luck to you!
2009-10-12 10:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Loving your enthusiasm, you go girl!

I can almost feel the energy from your smile down here in NZ!

Great work with this. I realised about a month ago that the training was what was missing again for me. So, I got off my butt and got organised again and I'm now back on the way. I haven't logged any training because I haven't done any for a few days. The life of a teacher.....

It'll happen. I'll be fine. I'll imagine I'm making up a training trio with y'all because it sounds the greatest fun. Keep posting, it's so cool to read how other people are loving it!

Have a great week,

Jac

2009-10-13 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2456238

Lancaster County, PA
Subject: kill your TV!
people rarely mention it, but the TV is a killer of time and oppurtunity for other things....i don't have any more time than the next girl, we all have 168 hours in the week!

Now i have to go turn in to a sleeping person so that when my alarm goes off at 5:55 to rouse me up to go to the gym, and when i realize that it's cold outside, which it will be tomorrow b/c we're expecting frost, when those things happen i need to have the umpf to rise up!

tomorrow strength & bike work.....can't wait!!
2009-10-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2458384

Lancaster County, PA
Subject: bike intervals are FUN!
My theme song for the week: "I'm so excited....i just can't hide it!! i'm about to lose control and i think i like it!" A little 80's for ya.

This morning, 2nd workout day of the week, 3rd week into my first ever tri-training, following the beginner exerciser & Tri-training program, we were to ride 30 minutes. Every two minutes (this was on a stationary bike) we increased the resistance, until 1/2 way through the ride and then we could start decreasing....first of all, it made the stationary bike a lot more enjoyable, second of all it was challenging. I worked hard to keep my cadence the same and rythmic with each increase of the resistance.

Have i mentioned that i can't wait to start swimming? Need a suit. Should i get a wetsuit? What kind of swimsuit should i get? I'm buying a suit in the next few weeks, because we start swimming in less than 6 weeks....

Have i mentioned how shocked i was at road bike prices? Being a mountain bike girl, i bought a very, very nice Trek for $770. ok, for a road bike that is the bare min. How do i know what to get? what brand should i get? i really don't want to spend more than $800 but that's not very much for a road bike.... I'm stressing this. i'm buying one late feb. '10 so i have time but i like researching and planning....OK, it's hump day and i'm assuming that everyone on THIS WEBSITE is working their hiney's off for a fantastic spring race, too!
2009-10-15 6:29 PM

Lancaster County, PA
Tomorrow morning marks the end of my 3rd week training for a triathlon. This week was better than the 2nd week which sucked. I got some energy back....this week i started counting calories on Sparkpeople.com and i am shocked at how badly i'm eating and bad foods and too many calories, when i really, really thought i was doing "better." I also rounded up a friend for weekend jogging.... we have a lot of rain happening here in central PA so i'm not sure if that will start this weekend or next, but it's good. Also, i just got off the bike from our first "long" ride. We did a spin class. Maybe the real triathletes are laughing but the training program from this website said it was a good subsitute and i can tell you my cardio sucks. It was a good place to begin. I can't get to the starting line unless i keep taking all these steps. each day just do a little something more. I am feeling it....

2009-10-18 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2462216

Lancaster County, PA
FIRST JOG IN 4 YEARS.....WENT A LITTLE LIKE THIS: walked down lane as warm-up (.2 miles) and turned right to head for stop sign 1.5 miles away. My Goal: to jog to that stupid azz stop-sign without stopping....surely i could do that? Instead: turned right out of drive and started jogging, ipod on, dog doing fine. Right ear piece keeps slipping out, every other step. Three times i stop to replace, three times cursing at dog to quit straining while i try to replace ear piece. I'm not even 100 feet away from drive way, this isn't a good sign. So Screw it, i says to myself, and put enitire thing in pocket which i feel is better thing to do then to stomp on it and jump up and down while screaming which is what i wanted to do....Back to jogging: i make it about 750 feet to top of little hill by Penny's meadow, i slow to walk. I'm so pathetic. I reexamine my goal of jogging to stop-sign. I think, "i haven't jogged in 4 years, so if it's a walk-jog then it's a walk-jog and screw that too." So i finish the rest of the gradual hill past Penny's meadow walking, regain control of my breathing and pick up the pace again, i make it to Shenks mailbox and then i walk to the best little landscaped house on the street and then jog to the intersection.....then walk the whole way to hard bend....Then jog down huge rollercoaster hill fighting extreme pain in right hip and numbness in feet, i make it part way up the opposing hill, walk to rutherfords and then....then....

Miracle of all miracles, I gain some mental control of myself and remember from way back in HS when i ran cross-country and I had to make it past that point where it wasn't hard, it was a habit, just a continuous motion and an easy breathing and so....i jog to the stop-sign, turn around and jog the entire way home (which the hills are much more in my favor this direction so that definitely helps. I happen to live around some of the worst hills in my area) my feet are numb, both hips start hurting, i''m thinking this is a definite shoe issue, my knee felt great, i threw up a little in my mouth around the Lefer Van but kept it going including going UP the enire rollercoaster hill and several other minor ones....Walked .2 miles up lane as cool down.

So final outcome: a 3.4 walk/jog. I estimate i walked about 1.4 of those miles and ran about 2. That is a 13.24 mile/hour pace. And you want to know the good news about that??? All i can do is improve from here... GOAL - 9 min mile, which means i need to shave 4.24 mins off my time which means I need to better my time each month by 37 seconds.
2009-10-18 4:58 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Congrats on getting started.  I was hoping to see a pic of an infant on a Felt DA, or at least on a B2.
2009-10-18 11:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hey buddy,

Your running experience is so similar to  my first jog that I laughed in sympathy! I too had your run, but I stopped to vomit on the side of the road, had horrendous chest pain, felt really rotten for about 3 days afterwards and really wondered why in the flippin' eck I'd done this at all! The secret for me was that I actually thought I was going dead slow, but discovered that I had all new levels of dead slow still to explore, and when I did that, I was able to run for longer and longer, and finally got it sorted!

It gets better and you'll start to love it. I also had to go and buy ear-piece headphones for my ipod because I can't keep the little ones in my ears either. For me, the dog wasn't the best running accessory, because the dog I borrowed for the purpose wanted to sprint madly and then just lie down.

Good luck, keep at it!

Jac

2009-11-08 6:08 PM

Lancaster County, PA
Wink TOMORROW I START MY 7TH WEEK OF TRAINING. I AM TWO WEEKS AWAY FROM ENTERING THE SWIM PORTION OF TRAINING. I AM VERY, VERY EXCITED. I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1 week old tri-training baby Rss Feed  

of 1