General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having trouble visualizing how T1, T2 and special needs bags work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-02 12:19 PM

User image

Subject: Having trouble visualizing how T1, T2 and special needs bags work
I have done many Olympic and 1 Half IM, and your gear was always set up at your bike the night or morning before.  I am doing IM FL on Nov. 7, and it's my first IM.  Can anyone help me understand just how the transitions and special needs bags work?  Do we run out of the water, get handed our T1 bag, run WITH IT to the bike and pour it all out and prep for the bike (and later, the run) that way, or what?  Also, how do the special needs bags work?  Do you ride up to the 1/2 way point and call out your number and someone gives you your bag?  Do you physically stop and get off the bike and get stuff out of the bag or do you ride with it a la Tour de France musette bags?  Lastly, how do bottles exchanges work?  On the tri's I've done, they've handed out 20 oz. bottles of Gatorade that fit into a water bottle cage...do they actually give you full on water bottles with water or Gatorade and you toss out your empty bottles?  Thanks in advance!!!

2009-10-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2439149

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: RE: Having trouble visualizing how T1, T2 and special needs bags work
I'm not familiar with IM Florida, but I volunteered in T1/T2 at IMoo this year and I believe generally speaking the process is similiar from race to race.

T1 - After exiting the water you'll be directed to an area that holds the Swim to Bike bags. You'll either find it yourself or a volunteer will grab it for you. You then take the bag into the changing tent, dump the bag and change into your biking stuff.

T2 - After dismounting your bike you'll be directed to the area that holds to bike to run bags. Find your bag and then head into the transition area. Dump the bag, change clothes, etc. Off you go...

Special needs bike/run: Others can correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is that you stop and a volunteer will assist you in finding your bag. Take what you need, give them the bag back and proceed on your bike/run.

2009-10-02 1:02 PM

User image

Thanks - so I guess if you're not actually changing (I will be wearing the same trisuit for the whole race), you still have to go through the tent, get your shoes, helmet, etc on, and then run to your bike in your bike shoes?
2009-10-02 1:07 PM

User image

Master
PA
At IMLP your T1&T2 bags were hanging on a hook right near the men's/women's changing tents.  I got my own bags, got what i needed, then a volunteer put everything back in, including my wetsuit, cap & goggles.  Same scenario for T2.  At SN (which was in a different spot) as you were approaching, a volunteer asked you if you wanted your bag, if you did, they called your number out to a volunteer and they got your bag for you.  I was off my bike but standing right next to it.  Run I did not stop for it and just shook my head no when they asked.

Plan out exactly what you are putting in each bag before you go.  It makes packing them so much simpler. 
2009-10-02 1:17 PM

User image

Thanks so much. I think I get it now. Seems more time consuming (slower transition) than just having everything ready and laid out at your bike, but I guess they have to do it that way because they assume people will have a ton of stuff, huh?
2009-10-03 1:09 AM
in reply to: #2439340

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
mountainpics - 2009-10-02 1:17 PM Thanks so much. I think I get it now. Seems more time consuming (slower transition) than just having everything ready and laid out at your bike, but I guess they have to do it that way because they assume people will have a ton of stuff, huh?

It doesn't really take any longer...as long as it takes you to dump out the bag and then all your stuff is ready and laid out...just be organized...use ziplocs to contain the small stuff or to hold what you will put into your pockets so you can just grab the ziploc and stuff on the way to your bike, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having trouble visualizing how T1, T2 and special needs bags work Rss Feed