Montgomery County road Runners
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 11s
Overall Rank = 773/2016
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 49/190
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00. Ate a piece of whole wheat bread w/ peanut butter at 4:15 and drank about 20 oz of water. Left home at 4:30 to drive to Rockville. Ate a Luna bar and an orange at 5:15 (usual pre-race meal) and drank a few oz of water. Arrived at 5:30. Got organized and headed to the porta-johns at 6:00. Started w/u at 6:15.
Event warmup:

Walked a bit and then 2' jog, 1' wlk, 2' jog, 1' wlk, 5' jog, 1' wlk, 3X accelerations, wlked, stretched at about 6:35 and went to line up for the race at 6:50.
Run
  • 1h 55m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I started with a very strong pace, taking advantage of the general down hill trend at the beginning. I got a little too preoccupied with my potential 10K split and didn't start hydrating early enough. I took walk breaks pretty often (15', 30', and probably every mile after that). It turns out there was not mat or clock at 10K as promised - bummer! I fell behind the 8:15-8:30 pacers and then much later the 8:30-8:45 pacer and got a little too pre-occupied with that, too. I kept reminding myself to pay attention to my breathing, my HR, and my own pace to get back on track. I felt especially great in mile 8 (not my usual "magic mile 7") and took my gel at mile 9. I was thrilled with my pace up to mile 10. After that, I really struggle with my pace. My HR was doing OK, but my legs were really fatigued and I didn't have any push left for the climb at the end. I was still walking every mile for about :45, and I actually had to walk 2X in the last mile. No sprint to the finish was possible. I definitely used up everything I had here!
What would you do differently?:

Always remember to run my own race, and start drinking my Perpetuum earlier. I think I could possibly have been better hydrated coming into this, but I am not sure. I think I need to experiment more with pre-race electrolytes.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank 2 cups of water, walked a bit, then sat and rested. I went to the food tent for a section of orange, a banana, an egg w/a few potatoes, and a piece of a white bagel. Then I changed into dry clothes, stretched, and got a free massage - excellent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs were pretty fatigued coming into this race. If it had been an A race, I would have tapered for it and that probably would have made a BIG difference. My legs held up the best in the first hour - consistent w/ the length of my interval work-outs so far. Looking forward, I need to build up to longer interval work-outs, possibly including longer intervals, and keep working on loosing some of my extra weight.

Event comments:

This was an excellent race! They started us in waves since the paths were on the narrow side, so this helped to keep things from getting too bottled up. The widest section was in the beginning, so things had time to spread out before we hit the trails. The parks were beautiful! There were no lines for packet pick-up. There were plenty of porta-johns and parking was easy. There were more than enough drink stations, and a huge variety of food at the end including fruit, bages, subs, pizza, baked ziti, eggs and breakfast potatoes. I just wish they gave bottles of water at the finish line instead of cups. There was live music and free massages with very little waiting time at the finish. The results were posted almost immediately. We got really nice Brooks technical long-sleeved shirts in our packets, and an embroidered knit cap at the finish line. Great stuff! I will look for this one again!

Last updated: 2009-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/190
Overall: 0/2016
Performance: Good
Tried to keep HR around 160. Felt like I paced myself pretty well, although I really slowed down on the uphill final two miles. At mile 10, I was at 1:25:15 - an 8:31.5 pace - VERY happy with that, but didn't have much gas left in the tank to maintain it up-hill.
Course: Started in Rockville. Went mostly on trails through the park system. Some short rolling hills in the beginning. Finished with a two mile climb to Bethesda. It was a combination of asphalt and crushed rock. There was some mud on the asphalt here and there that was slippery. The trails were fairly narrow, so it was a bit congested at times.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes