TriAmerica.com
85+F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 2s
Overall Rank = 77/157
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, ate a Granola bar and started drinking a bottle of Gatorade. Got to the race site at 6:30, finished setting up transition (bike check in was the day before). Tried to ignore the announcer who was talking about this being "The Intimidator" and "the toughest half-Ironman distance triathlon in the world." Tried to forget about the lack of hill work I'd done in training and concentrate on keeping a steady pace
Event warmup:

Ran for about ten minutes, did about 10 minutes of swimming and then some light stretching.
Swim
  • 44m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave start was hectic (standard) and I was swum over by A LOT of guys. I finally slowed down, let the first big pack get in front of me and then found a rhythm. I did really well with the navigation and was able to beat my goal time by a couple of seconds
What would you do differently?:

Start the swim a little slower so I didn't have to slow down so much to get into some clear water. Maybe start outside the turn a little more and try to catch a draft rather than just be content with swimming on my own
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Wow, did I go slow here. I was just concentrating on not spiking my HR knowing that I had a long bike ride ahead. I planned for 10 minutes for both transitions, so, this was actually ahead of the power curve, but I still could've gone a lot faster.

Push it a little more.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I got a lot of laughs from other competitors and from the race officials because I had 10 GUs taped by the tear away tab to my top tube. I had my entire double PD aero bottle filled with Gatorade and another H2O bottle. Drank all the Gatorade, went through two more H2O bottles at the aid stations and ate 9 of the gels. This came back to haunt me later as I don't think I digested that stuff very well. Should've cut out some of the gels and used a stronger Gatorade mix.
The hills (9 really tough grades) were killer, but I got through them ok. I was planning on a 17 mph pace, so I was doing a little better than planned. My back was hurting a little when I finally got off the bike, but overall, it wasn't too bad

Push a little harder on the downhills and not eat so much. Need to find some solid food I can digest while exercising or a drink that gives more calories. My nutrition was off as I felt really sloshy getting off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Again, took it really slow. Changed socks so I wouldn't get as many blisters.

Speed up a little
Run
  • 2h 37m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch. I ran/walked the first lap, running to the first aid station, walking for 3 minutes and then running to the next one. It turned out to be about a 9 minute run, 3 minute walk as the aid stations were a little more than a mile apart. One the second lap, I tried to start runningn after the tree minutes past the aid station, and it just wasn't happening. I started to get the chills and I was a little dizzy, so I decided that it was time to reverse the run/walk and walk most of the second lap. I had rained a good bit on the first lap and my shoes were heavy with water and I was starting to hurt. No way was I going to quit on the second lap of the run, though. So I just HTFU and did what I had to do to finish. I didn't take in any gels as I was still sloshy from the bike. Ran the last half mile and was just overjoyed to be finished.

Missed my 6.5 hour goal by 12 minutes and it was all because it fell apart on the second lap of the run. I'm pretty sure it was my nutrition plan coming apart/not being thought out well enough. Definitely need to work on that for the next time. Yep, there's absolutely going to be a next time!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a bannana, a massage and stretched a BUNCH. Cleaned out transition and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Need to start thinking about it and training to it more and earlier in the program. Find a solid food I can digest on the bike so I'm not so water logged. Also, could stand to do a few more long bricks.

Event comments:

Two of the aid stations ran out of water toward the end and one went unmanned for quite a while - racers ended up using discarded cups and having to tilt the water buckets to get some fluids. Other than that, though, it was a very well run race

Last updated: 2009-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:38 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 82/157
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Design Tri Suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:11:33 | 56 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/29
Overall: 68/157
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 1/2 loop around the lake, out to a loop on some rural roads (hills! argh), and then back to the lake with a loop around the other 1/2 of the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:37:43 | 13.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/29
Overall: 94/157
Performance: Below average
First lap: 1 hour 9 minutes, 32 seconds Second lap: 1 hour 28 minutes, 11 seconds
Course: Out and back, 2 laps, hills on last mile of out.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-04 7:46 PM

User image

Prattville
Subject: Florida Challenge Triathlon

2009-10-13 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2442178

User image

Panama City Beach
Subject: RE: Florida Challenge Triathlon
Thanks for helping me through the race. It was a tough one.

Alan Mccurley
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed