General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/99
Pre-race routine:

Ate an English Muffin with peanut butter and sipped some G2 on the drive up to Gainesville.
Event warmup:

Walked the 1/2 mile or so from the parking lot to transition and listened to some tunes. Then just walked around the beach waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 10m 38s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Start wave was too large and the distance to the first buoy was too short creating a bottleneck of monumental proportions. I rounded wide to avoid some of the traffic, but still got caught up amongst a bunch of breast strokers in the first 150 yards or so.
What would you do differently?:

Need to push closer to the front - especially in a race like this with so many first timers.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

No real issues - T1 is slow in this race because it includes running up the monster hill to the transition area.

Nothing - I was 7 seconds faster than last year.
Bike
  • 41m 25s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is always my slowest, so I was very happy to shave off over 3 1/2 minutes from last year's bike leg! I'm still below average on the bike, but I trained a little more this year on the bile and I am glad that it paid off.

Nothing - it was nice passing some people and not being the passee the entire leg for a change.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

No complaints here - I was 1 second better than last year. My rack spot was toward the back of the transition area so I had more time running in bike shoes than running shoes for T2, but no biggie.

I would like to get under a minute for this race.
Run
  • 22m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

A pretty decent run - I could have probably pushed myself a little more.

Push myself a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to a friend and grabbed a banana and some sample bars and then went up to wait for the transition access to open for retrieval so I could get out of there and drive back to Atlanta to meet my wife (who ran the 13.1) for breakfast!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I had a nice enjoyable race. I was assessed a 2:00 penalty for the second year straight and this time I have no idea what I did (last year I dropped my water bottle trying to re-cage it on the first hill and wasn't about to stop, go back and climb it again - that was my bad!). It was likely a bike violation this year because it surely is not my forte'.

Event comments:

Great race! The Saturday drop off is a major pain, but I understand why they do it - they didn't last year and it was a disaster. They had to hold up the start because so many people couldn't get into the park and the parking lots although they arrived plenty early.

The traffic issue inside the park needs work, but otherwise a well run and fun race.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:38 | 400 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 54/99
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Short distance from the beach to first buoy, then hard right around it and back past the start to the swim finish
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:25 | 13 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 55/99
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Bike course was great - it seemed like there were far more downhills than climbs. I think the uphills were just shorter and steeper so if you built up a little speed, you could get up them without killing yourself. The only bad part is that they really need to close the part of the course which is inside the park. On the public roads it was fine even though there was open traffic as we had a coned off lane and plenty of room and police did a good job of controlling traffic at the turns. In the park though, especially where the road narrows (with the new medians) it is downright dangerous. There were expert bikers flying around moving cars on both sides. I am sure that the drivers didn't even see them. There was also a dude on a motorcycle swerving around cars amongst the bikers. It was a recipe for disaster. I stayed behind a car for that portion which kind of sucks because you are supposed to be racing and get slowed by traffic? I read in another report that a biker was squeezed by a car at the traffic circle and broke a clavicle. I am unfortunately not surpised.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/99
Performance: Average
Course: nice run - the uphill portions were all at the beginning so it was nice to get the downhill toward the end. I was only passed by 1 runner (with an anti-Obama political shirt on - strange venue for that sort of thing) and I passed about a couple dozen or so runners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-04 7:56 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

2009-10-05 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2442193

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

Solid race, Eric!  Way to go improving your time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed