General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 10s
Overall Rank = 390/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/80
Pre-race routine:

Got up extra early (4:15am) perhaps too early, but i knew parking and traffic in Venice would be tough. Timed it just right, got a great parking spot and and great T1 spot.... just before the crowds arrived. Then I went back to the car and relaxed for a while.
Event warmup:

Things were running late, so plenty of time to warm-up. I did two seperate stints in the water. I didn't warm-up so much as spend the time figuring out the surf zone. The surf was BIG and the current was strong. I was very happy that the surf was big... I do a lot of surfing and feel very comfortable in big surf. I knew this was going to be an advantage for me, but at the time, I didn't realize the grief it was going to cause many.
Swim
  • 30m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Huge surf and strong current. I practiced getting out through the surf twice in warm-ups and had it dialed. I was top 3 at the first buoy. As mentioned before, the big surf was an advantage for me. I got through it without any drama. Once past the breakers, it was choppy, but I seemed to manage without too much difficulty. Felt strong and drafted on the way back to help with the current. I was hoping to be able to surf some of the big waves in to the beach, but nothing materialized and I had to swim hard all the way in. I left the water feeling just right... tired but ready for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was very happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

A bit slow. I did the cap and googles in the sleeve routine and they promptly fell out onto the beach, had to stop and run back a few steps for them. I also decided to put on socks, which went on quickly and were comfy, but took a tad more time. Then there was the bag, everything had to be in your T! bag for transport to the finish. All in all, pleased with the transition... but a few extra steps took time.

Next time, I won't put on socks and will for sure not try the goggles and cap in the sleeve drill.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I went really hard on the bike. It was fun and fast, but I started to feel it a little too much at the first turn around. Eased up a tad but kept on it to the finish.

One of my biggest problems of the day started to rear it's head on the bike. I had mixed my water bottle too rich with accelerade. Combined with the gels I had taken in, my stomach was not 100%. Nothing major, but it began to get a little uncomfortable. Next time, weak mixtures and/or water.
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

I had to run all the way around with my bike. My legs were not ready for running, so I had to walk it for a while. Also, the dismount was unclear so I ended up jumping off the bike abruptly... without leaving my shoes in the pedals.

Leave shoes in the pedals and work on preparing my legs for the run.
Run
  • 59m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I really fell apart on the run. The drink problems came to a head and my legs were really stiff and tired from the bike.
I just couldn't get on top of any pace. I jogged the entire time. Not happy with the run.

More training for the run. Work on bike to run transition and preparing my legs in advance.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went too hard (perhaps) on the bike and died on the run.
More run training needed.
Too much energy drink and gels in my belly.

Event comments:

The race wasn't prefect, but went off about as well as you could expect given that it traverses a major city.
The surf didn't help with the wave starts, but completely understandable... they delayed starts to keep the number of bodies in the water at a safe level.

Last updated: 2009-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/80
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Suit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:04 | 24.85 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/80
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat with some mild rollers. Some rough pavement, but no gaping potholes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:59 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/80
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat with two laps up a very steep hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-04 11:51 PM

User image

Ventura County, California
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance

2009-10-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2442435

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance
yeah seriously, given the conditions, your swim time was pretty good. and 29th in your age is awesome man...congrats bro..
2009-10-06 4:32 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Congratulations!  Even having a rough run...look at YOU breaking an hour for it!  Sweet!
2009-10-07 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Congrats on the finish on a tough day.   Nice RR

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance Rss Feed