Badgerland Striders
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 26m
Overall Rank = 1251/2750
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 87/139
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am. Drank some coffee, read the paper, and ate a banana and some shredded wheat. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sipped some gatorade and ate 1/2 banana around 7am, while driving to Grafton.
Event warmup:

Stretched and listened to the new tunes on my ipod
Run
  • 4h 26m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Well - this isn't the way I wanted to write my first race report on BT but, I need to suck it up and deal. I'm not really sure what happened. The first half felt great and I was running on target at the half (1:57). Shortly after 12mi, I developed major stomach burning and reflux, not something I normally have a problem with. I had one gel at mile 6, but couldn't take anything after that other than water, and occasionally a bit of gatorade.

During the second half, I also had really weird low back pain, almost like charley-horse cramping, but in my back. I walked a TON after mile 18 and stopped to stretch but it didn't help. I've never had that sort of thing in a race either.

At mile 6, I dropped my long sleeved shirt and regretted it later when I walked.

I really contemplated quitting but after telling myself how ridiculous that would be, I finished. My stomach actually felt better after about mile 22. But my back was still on fire. I'm glad I finished because, even though I feel bad about this race, I'd feel even worse if I was a quitter.

I've run the distance before, but this was my first marathon after a 3-year hiatus due to job obligations and multiple moves. I felt like I trained harder with more targeted work-outs, but I don't think it was enough. I've never felt this bad during a race - unfortunately, I'd call this my worst race ever. I usually run even mile splits but today - not so much.
What would you do differently?:

Well, it looks like I need to re-investigate yoga and core strength training to deal with the back issue. I think I have a very weak and inflexible core and I haven't trained that area like I should have.

I'm not sure what else, maybe increase overall mileage or cross training. I always feel like I don't have enough time but I think I have to change that mindset. Maybe I need to hire a coach or something.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. I felt really cold so didn't hang out much at the finish line. Had lunch with fam - ate a bowl of soup. After arriving home, I built a fire in the fireplace, put my feet up, and licked my wounds. My back feels no better, even this morning - hopefully the heating pad, NSAIDs, and stretching will help.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach issues and subsequent lack of nutrition during the race, lack of core strength, and lack of mental fortitude?

Last updated: 2009-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:26:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/139
Overall: 1251/2750
Performance: Bad
Course: I enjoyed the course more than I expected, and thought it was rather scenic. The small rollers during the first half added a bit of variety and the downhill at the end was nice (but I could have taken less wind :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: Lakefront Marathon

2009-10-05 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2442528

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lakefront Marathon

hey, having been there (just recently) i can sympathyze with the situation.  MAJOR kudos and lots of EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWs go out to you for sticking with it and finishing!  congrats!

2009-10-05 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Thanks!  I'm feeling a little less grumpy as the day goes on.   After all, 26.2 miles is nothing to sneeze at.  And hey, my legs actually feel pretty good since I walked so much!  Thanks for the Eeaawww.  I'm very honored, especially since I'm not a real Donkey (yet), but maybe someday
2009-10-05 10:43 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

E to the Awww.  You are a donkey.  You just passed the initiation by saying you want to be a donkey.  Stubbornly completing 26.2 in some biting winds under pain and duress certainly doesn't hurt either!

Great job sucking it up!!!

2009-10-05 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Madison
This same thing happened to me my first few marathons and I only figured out the solution last year.  I alternate my own drink, which works with my stomach, with water and endurolyte capsules, which work well too.  Starting at mile 4 I alternate these every two miles, taking in a total of 2-3 cups gatorade (all my stomach can handle) and a bunch of endurolytes.  The  muscle cramping is no longer a problem and I don't throw up, cramp, or have other nasty stomach issues for the whole race.  Good luck figuring the right balance. 

Way to go by the way!  Not everyone has the guts (no pun intended) to stick with it and finish in the face of all the issues you were having.
2009-10-05 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
That is great that you kept it going. It was tough I can attest to that.  But you stuck it out. That is terrific!

2009-10-08 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
EEEEAAAWWWWsome job "gutting" it out.  You are certainly a donkey cuz you proved to be stubborn.  Unfortunately we can't race every race they way we want, just too much out of our control.  Proud of you and great job.
2009-10-08 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
way to stick with it when things obviously weren't going your way...  that mental toughness will serve you well in future races...  some days are just off days...  congrats though on finishing your first marathon...!!!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakefront Marathon Rss Feed