Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
Total Time = 5h 22m 39s
Overall Rank = 74/349
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/54
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:15 AM. Ate a bowl of oatmeal, 1/2 banana, and drank a cup of black coffee. Drove out to Montauk with Charlie (lunchbox).
Event warmup:

Quick short jog.
Swim
  • 39m 34s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've been hitting the pool hard and often. I felt like I had a great swim. I tried desperately to draft a few times but everytime the person zig-zagged and I lost my feet. I felt like I was really cruising and a lot faster than last year. Coming out of the water I felt fresh and energized, but then I looked down at my watch and I was a few seconds slower than last year!! WTF! I suspect the swim was a little long, and I ranked higher in the swim overall from last year, but regardless I was very disappointed and immediatley knew my chances at a Sub 5 had vanished.
What would you do differently?:

On the return leg, just like last year, I kept forgetting the swim back to shore is a diagonal and I kept swimming off course. Overall this probably cost me a around a minute or so.

Swimming at the YMCA, I can keep a good pace; perhaps I need to incorporate more OPWS and train more long continuous swims.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

12th fastest OA.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I new my chances at a Sub 5 were all but non-existent, but I figured perhaps I could still come close if I had a very good Bike. I know this course pretty well so I decided to really push the pace. The roads were wet to start but dried by the second loop. My hamstrings bothered me for the first 15 miles, but then they felt fine and for the rest of the bike my legs felt really good. I concentrated on keeping my knees in tight and I just hammered for almost the entire bike.

I shaved off a whopping 12 minutes from last years time on this course, so despite having an original goal that was faster, I really can't complain.

I was a mere :27 seconds off my Eagleman time, and Eagleman is a much-much easier bike course than Montauk. I just need to have a strong Bike Focus this Winter and keep accumumlating more time in the saddle and I will keep getting better on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

60th OA. Perfect flying dismount. Transistion was muddy mess -- looked like Woodstock, so I carried my bike :)

Hesitated a little. I just need to drop and go!
Run
  • 1h 56m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year I screwed up my nutrition badly and I paid for it on the run--almost ended up in the medical tent. I had an entire year to think about how miserable I was on this run, and how I blew my chances at an easy sub 5:30 in what was only my 2nd HIM at the time. Today I got REDEMPTION. (I waited a whole year for this!)

I really wanted to run sub 1:45 -- which I don't think is a stretch given what I run 'off the bike' in training and how well I run in stand-alone Road Races. But A.) I forgot how brutal this run course is and B.) I keep forgetting that it's a lot different running after a 1.2 mile swimm and 56-mile bike -- compared to a stand-alone road race.

I never stopped running once, I alternated a mouthful of water and Heed at each station starting at Mile 4, I encouraged lots of my friends -- who returned the favor. Some stretches I felt okay and during many of the uphills I climbed at a 13 min pace and felt like ABSOLUTE CRAP, but I HTFU and got R done.

On the second lap, around mile 8, a dude in my AG passed me (turns out he was 12th in my AG). I decided to try and stick with him. I stayed in his draft, followed his foot patterns, but at the first big climb he dropped me. I tried like heck to stay with him, but I just couldn't. So basically, I gave it all I had during this run and I have to be happy with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered in Mike, Charlie, Rudy, Sean and a bunch of people on my triathlete team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is my 5th Half Ironman. I'm learning to NOT put time expectations on myself and just go out and just simply do my best. Swim courses are never going to measure the same from race to race and year to year; weather and wind conditions are always going to vary; and when I put time expectations on myself I'm setting myself up for failure due to all these unknowns and many more.

I'm also learning that despite the hours of training and hardwork, I still can't plan on what particular day I'm going to feel great. I'm responsible for the Effort not the Outcome.

Event comments:

Montauk is a beautiful town with georgeous views and natural scenery. It's a magical place, really. I do believe the Race Organization needs to improve in many areas though. For one, packet pick-up is the night before only. Which meeans for many Long Islanders, we need to drive the 1.5 hours plus out to Montauk (3 hours+ round trip) the night before, and then do it all over again 4 AM the next day. This year was even worse because when Charlie and I drove out to pick up our packets, due to the rain!, their computers weren't working and we were unable to pick up our packets. This is really ridiculous. The Race Organizers knew all week that it was supposed to rain on Saturday, and it rained all Race Day last year. They also need to have a Plan B for the rain when it comes to transition. The transition area was an ABSOLUTE MUD PIT. It was downright dangerous.

Another area that needs improvement is the Water Stop on the Bike Course. There is count 'em ONE water stop on the bike. That's it. And they have water; no gatorade or even Heed. And on the Run course there are only two Aid Stations with coke, and the one aid station always runs out right away. There are also a few other areas where the Race Organizers could improve, but thess are the biggies for me. Oh, and NO MASSAGES afterwards either!! After A HIM YOU NEED MASSAGES, c'mon!

Despite the high fee and lack of amenities, I will be doing this Race for many years to come as it is the only HIM on Long Island and the scenery is Priceless.

Last updated: 2009-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:34 | 1931 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 163/349
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and back swim in Fort Pond, Fresh water with temperature in the mid to upper 60s.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:43:33 | 56 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Overall: 65/349
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps on a 28-mile loop with rolling hills and beautiful ocean and bay views. 2200 total feet of elevation gain.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:55 | 13.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 106/349
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps on a challenging hilly 6.55 mile course 806 total feet of elevation gain. A two lap course that is quite challenging; after a rolling 3 miles you hit "murder hill" followed by two other challenging climbs and the “Pits”, a great accomplishment for your race season.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 7:39 AM

User image

Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2009-10-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2442616

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk
Wow look how much you improved over last year!

Impressive how close your bike time was to flat Eagleman course.

I like this from your rr:

"I'm learning to NOT put time expectations on myself and just go out and do my best. Swim courses are never going to measure the same from race to race and year to year; weather and wind conditions are always going to vary; and when I put time expectations on myself I'm setting myself up for failure due to all these unknowns and many more."

it is something many of us need to keep in mind as it makes post race days more fun.

Well done!
2009-10-05 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Bobby, it was great meeting you and the Gang!!!  Congrats on the Sub 5:30, that is outstanding!!!  That run course is B R U T A L!!!!!  you did really great!!!

2009-10-05 9:01 AM

User image

Elite

Still a strong race. I hate mud in transition, did you go sockless in your running shoes? Weak on the bike aid station. I am used to carrying next to nothing these days.

2009-10-05 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Sounds like you put out a great performance! To feel good and strong throughout the race is awesome! That is a huge improvement on you time too! Glad you had a good day!

2009-10-05 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

WOW!  You were quick to get that RR out. 

Once again supper job!  Man cutting 31 minutes off a race is something to be proud of.   Laughing

2009-10-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2442794

User image

aarondavidson - 2009-10-05 10:01 AM

Still a strong race. I hate mud in transition, did you go sockless in your running shoes? Weak on the bike aid station. I am used to carrying next to nothing these days.

I was sockless on the bike and run -- and luckily I only got one tiny blister!  Dude... I heard a rumor that you're going to KONA!!   Is that true   KONA BABY KONA!!!!

2009-10-05 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Awesome job, Bobby. Really.

Your insights and reflections are very helpful both to you and also for others like me. Keep up the good job!

2009-10-05 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

Congrats, Bobby.  You really killed it out there.

I know you finished the race before me, but I still don't know if you finished your brownie/ice cream sundae (the size of my shoe, by the way) before I got my italian ice down.  Or did you DNF on that?

Happy training!

Edited by thelunchbox 2009-10-05 11:06 AM
2009-10-05 11:09 AM

User image

Expert

Great race out there Bobby! Congrats on the huge improvement and I'm sure we'll be seeing you go sub-5 in the near future. Keep up the great work!

2009-10-05 11:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nice Job Bobby - Great imporvement this year, and you are spot on about time expectations being detremental to performance that will be important for LP next year.

Rest up and look forward to seeing you at some races next year...

2009-10-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2443097

User image

thelunchbox - 2009-10-05 12:05 PM

Congrats, Bobby.  You really killed it out there.

I know you finished the race before me, but I still don't know if you finished your brownie/ice cream sundae (the size of my shoe, by the way) before I got my italian ice down.  Or did you DNF on that?

Happy training!

I DNF'd that brownie sundae.  I got halfway through and was like..."If I keep eating this, it's gonna be a looong ride home "

2009-10-05 6:13 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great improvement Bobby!  You may not have hit that 'sub-5' marker that you set out there for yourself yet, but you are making consistent progress in your fitness & racing.  It'll come. 

Oh, next time HTFU and finish that brownie sundae!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed