General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 9s
Overall Rank = 57/831
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Saturday to drop off the bike. Yes, it was a hassle, however it gave me a chance to acclimate myself to an environment that I have never seen. Was able to see the "monster" hill everyone talked about, and in all actuality, it was not that bad. Try Rock n Rollman in Macon or Hickory Knob in South Carolina for some worse transition hills, but I digress. I also had the chance to do the entire run course the day before to see how "flat" it really was.
Event warmup:

Walk from parking to transition was enough of a warmup. Active stretching and I was ready
Swim
  • 07m 59s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m / 100 meters
Comments:

Nervous before the swim started (I don't know why). Race started with me in the very first wave, which was nice. Very little contact, aside from people grabbing my feet (which in that case I would just wildly kick for a few seconds). Drafting was PERFECT. I have never swam in such clear water, I could actually see more than 2 feet in front of me...

Swim time includes run to transition, so take off another minute for an accurate score.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, just more swim practice. Breathing was kind of off, but not bad.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

So my swim time was worse than normal, but transition was fastest in age group, definitely one of the fastest overall. The run was tough, but I just sprinted up the hill to put the gap in between the competition

Run a bit faster in the transition area (like...sprint). I would have been beat, but made up for it on the bike. Could have saved me the few seconds that cost me 1st place.
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out fine, had no trouble getting feet in shoes (thank you flying mount with rubber bands). I was passed twice by other competition and passed one guy in the 25-29 AG. I was skeptical of the "flat and fast" description at first but soon realized that, aside from the few hills, I was flying. Coming back into transition was cool, lots of crowd support.

Train more on the bike, duh. I intend to do some power training this winter to increase my threshold, so ideally I will be able to hold a 22-23 pace next season. Lofty goals, but seeing as how my times have improved with minimal bike training, I would say I am in good place to make those numbers
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Jump off fine, ran to rack, off and go. Yankz need to be adjusted, were a little tight getting on the shoes (could have been slightly easier). Ran halfway out of transition and realized I forgot my race number. Mistake #2 that cost me 10 seconds which would have placed me in first.

Adjust shoes, don't forget race number.
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started fine, but almost immediately felt a hot spot in my shoe. Felt good till the halfway point where a killer stomach cramp made me stop for a minute and slow down significantly. Solution: nasty burp..... Felt fine after, but that slow moment was all it needed for 1 guy in my AG to pass me with about 400 yards to go. Could have pushed more, but I knew I could not keep up.

Put bodyglide on the feet to prevent blisters and bloody shoes, work on nutrition to prevent stomach cramps, push harder for the last 200-300 meters to finish faster.

Run time has gradually improved, which is nice to see work paying off. Like with running, plan to increase my base over the winter so I can race more efficiently and effectively.
Post race
Warm down:

First aid to fix my shoes, shower, awards ceremony. Got some food and just talked to a few people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am always going to say lack of training, because I have only been doing this 2 years. But its true, give me more time to train/build my base, and I will get faster. My transitions are top notch and consistently top of age group and some of the fastest overall. PR set today at 1:11:09

Event comments:

Good race, fast course, almost too many people but I never had the issue of people getting in my way. TONS of volunteers and crowd support. Very family friendly event. However, like always, not a lot of post race activities seeing as how as soon as the race ended, a lot of people left the venue.

Now to get ready for Hickory Knob in 2 weeks, last race of the season.

Last updated: 2009-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:59 | 400 meters | 01m / 100meters
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 0/831
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: Point to point with a sharp turn in the middle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:45 | 13 miles | 20.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Wind: None
Course: Out and back around the park and main roads near the lake. Some nice flat sections and 2 or 3 good climbs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/17
Performance:
Course: Out and back with one good hill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed