United States
Premier Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 27m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep very much and was up at 3'ish. Had everything ready from Saturday night. Met up with Dr. GoodHands for a bagle and peanut butter. Was not very hungry but forced down 1/2....this would be the theme for the day.
Event warmup:

Walking around in transition and then up and down the hill at the swim start helped stretch everything out. Ate a Laura Bar and had some more water.
Swim
  • 35m 6s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best swim of my short Tri life. Was intending to do 50 yds.free/25 breast but after about 100 yds. it was so hard to do breaststroke in the wetsuit that I got into a rhythm with freestyle and hung with it. I was breathing every stroke to the left side though...I am a natural (L) side breather so that was easy and I don't really know why I started with the every stroke breathing, but it was working and I was flying (for me anyway)

Feeling this good in the water is a new experience and I was loving it. Was taking in some water because of the chop and it didn't bother me.....YET. No leg cramps, which is an issue for me in the past.

Got my monies worth since I didn't sight well and went some additional yardage but I made it to the dock and you couldn't have slapped the smile off my face. But alas...this was the last time I smiled until Monday.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better and next time I will be better swim trained and be prepaired to go freestyle from the beginning. Other than that...I was very pleased with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 19m 49s
Comments:

Yep...it is not a typo. 20 minute T1. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Since the "Plan" was to finish Upright and Ambulatory and have a great time, Dr. GH and I decided to try and do as much of the event together as possible. Notice I didn't say "Race". It was not a race for us but an event.
She started 2 waves behind me (8 minutes) and we figured she would make up that difference easily. I always have a Plan"B" and if I finished WAY behind her she would meet me at a certain spot...we NEVER figured on my having a great swim and really being so far ahead + the 8 minutes.
I started taking in some calories and hydration while watching 100's of people run by to the bike course. Other than the wait, T1 went very well.

For my first HIM and this race in particular...NOTHING. Next time a normal transition will suit me just fine.
Bike
  • 4h 30m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 12.42 mile/hr
Comments:

If you have an aversion to the words puke, barf, hurl or blowing chuncks, please scroll down to the T2 protion of the report.

You have been warned.

I am really starting to love cycling and this ride started out great. Heading out we were doing 11-12 mph worth of effort and were riding about 18-20 mph. Thank you tailwind.

About 12-15 minutes into the ride I started to feel a little queazy. The nutrition plan was to use Lara Bars and Shot Blocks and use the on course and on board water and Gatorade for hydration. JUST LIKE I TRAINED WITH. 300-350 calories an hour was just what I was shooting for.
Well, "not so fast my friend." First salvo was fired about 15 minutes in and I thought that was unusual, because I rarely puke. I have an ironclad stomach and a normal pre-training meal is something from McDonalds, so this was very strange.
This continued on about every 15 minutes or so until about an hour + into the run. Because of this I had NO nutrition. Luckily I have the option of living of the "fat of the land" so to speak, for some time and I believe that and some real mental strength is what got me through this event. My only source of nutrition for the 4.5 hours on the bike was the 8 Shot Blocks I took in by putting 2 in my mouth and letting them "melt". I was forcing down water/Gatorade just so the guns would have something to fire because I HATE the dry heaves.
Speaking of dry heaves....It is REALLY hard to control a bike while hurling from the depths of your soul, so 8-10 times I had to stop and pull over so as not to cause a problem for me or others. This was not a problem later in the ride...since there was nobody else left out there to cause issues for.
We rode pretty strong, considering, until about the 42-43 mile mark. Remember that tailwind...well now it was a headwind and it was sucktabulous. Doing about 20 mph worth of effort and getting about 11-12 mph results. I will say, you get fewer chunks on you while hurling at 12 mph than at 20.
I was having trouble with my cleat on my right shoe all day and it reared it's ugly head coming into the mount line...almost fell on my ass. That REALLY would have made my day.

I don't know. I really think the stomach issue was a one time thing and us riding together is probably a one and done thing as well...so nothing for this race. Ride/race the course next time.
Transition 2
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

One of the great things about being this far back in the pack is there is NOBODY in transition when you get there, but the place is FULL of bikes. I look up for the flag on my row and W.T.F. All of the flags are GONE. They are taking $hit down to go home. Seriously???

Other than the flag issues it was pretty normal transition except for waiting a minute or 2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 54m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

We started on the run and I continued with the adventures in regurgitation. I also could see that Dr. GoodHands was having some trouble and she insisted on me going on. My legs/body wouldn't let me go at her pace so I reluctantly pushed on ahead.
I just want to say right here that I really hope the 2 families that were sitting out in front of the restaurant on Broad St. are BT people and get to read my sincere apology for leaving a nasty deposit at the curb while they were cheering me on. I REALLY am sorry.
The only thing I didn't like about this entire course was the double loop on the run. While it meant for a great opportunity for families to see their loved ones it also meant that I had to run by people that were cheering, "you're almost there" when I knew I had 6-8 more miles to go. The up side is that back where I was, when I made the second loop ALL of the cheers were for me because there was not a runner within 300 yds. in any direction.
Starting cramping on the walk breaks so I tried to run more and that helped. Low and behold...around the start of the 2nd lap I started holding down the water I was taking in. It felt great.
After doing some math at the mid-way point I knew I was close to not getting in under the cutoff. I really reached deep and went negative split on the last half of the run. This is an area I have really worked on...the mental part of competing, and people like Dr. GH, ssminnow (Suzie), and AbbieR (Abbie) have really helped me a TON in this area. Talking to yourself, out loud, may be disturbing to some people but if that's what it takes then so be it.
Passed 12 people on the last lap and nobody passed me. Ran hard in the chute to look good for my photo...but the FRICKIN guys had gone for the day. I'm 5 minutes before the cutoff and I don't get a picture at the finish line. You're kidding....right???

Nothing really. The pukefest on the bike really set the tone for the run and I am super proud of even finishing and the negative split on the run. If the bike had been better the run would have been fine.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried to eat something...not happening. Waited for Dr. GH and the rest of the final finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You don't need me to repeat it if you have read this far.

Also...If I do this race again I will race it. This time was all about "doing the distance" and having a great time with a friend...Mission Accomplished.

Event comments:

A couple more water stations on the run and having finish line photographers stay until the course closes would help. Other than that I thought it was AWESOME. If I ever do another HIM it will be this one.

Last updated: 2009-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:06 | 2143 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Point-to-Point down the Savannah River. Very fast current. Exit at the public boat ramp.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 19:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:30:32 | 56 miles | 12.42 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Across the bridge from Ga. into S.C. for a single loop. Rolling hills and senic views and a ton of people yelling "on your left" as they went by.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:54:50 | 13.1 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Double loop in downtown Augusta. Very flat with some shade and some sun and some great places for people to cheer their favorites on.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-10-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2442809

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
I am sooooooooo friggin proud of you!!!!!!!!!  Getting to the starting line is a major accomplishment and then to deal with the issues you had and finish with a smile.......most impressive!!!!  Congrats!!!!!
2009-10-06 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2442809

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Congratulations on finsihing your first HIM!!!! Let's face it, both of us had some challenges a long the way, but we did it.  Your attitude will easily get you through the next one and the one after that.....probably time for a little self reflection on the stomach issues, but I know you will figure it out! 
2009-10-06 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2444593

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Congrats on finishing.  There is more to learn from challenges like this race than when everything goes according to plan.

Note:  I have an "Iron Stomach" but have found out that things that work IRL don't always translate well into racing.  I highly recommend changing over to gels and water, with MAYBE some Gatorade.  I found out the hard way that even an innocuous breakfast bar is like eating a 9V battery mid-run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed