Badgerland Striders
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 13m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, met some fellow runners at the Princeton Club to head down to the lakefront. Had 2 bananas, organized my bag 3 or 4 times, and chatted with the fellas. Was feeling nervous. Sunny and 60 with light winds somehow became angry raw wind blowing strong. Looked to be in a favorable direction though, so wasn't too worked up. Don't mind cold running, just don't generally have all kinds of time to think about things in the azzcrack of dawn.

I did employ the solid gold recommendation from Schmize...to take some old tube socks and use them as temporary arm warmers until things warm up. That was a SWEET recommendation.
Event warmup:

Talked to the fellas. Saw lrunfit and met her family. She was calm and ready. I was jumpy and cold. Made about 5-trips to the metros. Each time I froze my azz off waiting in line. I'm going to spend 4-hours out in this in shorts? Didn't seem possible! Again, too much time to think about it. Saw djdavey right before kickoff so we did a fist-bump.
Run
  • 4h 13m 56s
  • 26.32 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Post 5th bathroom break, we get in line...queue ourselves around the 4:00 pace group. This is my first marathon, so I'm trying to take it as it comes. Hoping to break 4:00. Based on training, I'm on the edge...no leeway whatsoever. So, I'm going to just start relaxed and hope for the best. I was going to run with a friend that's a 9:15-pace guy for the first 7. Gun goes off, we settle in nice and comfy, but it's like a 9:02 pace. I'm fine at that, but am worried about my friend. He assures me he's fine, so we continue clicking through the miles. I loved this part...no real pace pressure, lots of people around, and the feeling of something epic. I really felt smooth for the first 7. And predictably, within 10-minutes I was down to the T-shirt and shorts. Wind a non-factor at this part, in the crowd and heading primarily with the wind to the east or crossways when we headed south.

At mile 7 we pick up Erv, a relay partner that was only doing the middle 12-mile segment. Bruce had gotten quiet and I was afraid we'd gone too fast. Erv started out pretty skippy and I stuck with him, eventually dropping Bruce. He gave us the thumbs up to keep going, so off we went. Through 7-16 things just clicked along. Erv and I chatted, high-fived spectators, and generally had a fine time. The 4:00 pace guy was loud and fun/bordering on obnoxious. Not saying he was obnoxious, A+ for enthusiasm and stuff, but I wasn't interested in hearing him. Fortunately, during this time we were well ahead of him and he was out of earshot. At random I looked at a spectator group and saw Deanna in here somewhere. I said "hey Deanna" and she looked at me like I was a creepy stalker. ;)

Now, around 16 I can feel I'm holding pace with Erv, but the effort level is building. He's more dragging me as much as anything. If you'd have asked, I'd have said I felt alright. RPE was still fine. Legs though, were getting heavy. I kept battling. At 19 Erv was scheduled to drop off, which I was not looking forward to. He went about a half-mile past 19 and said seeya.

OK, here we are, the dangerous 20-mile point. How many times have I read/heard that the race doesn't start until 20. About a billion. Kept on going but legs heavy. Random twinges of cramps are starting to come up. For the most part, I'm ignoring them and they're going away. However, with the passage of time they're getting more irritating, and sticking around longer. Kept pumping water, some gatorade, and gels. Stomach is good. 20-mile split is at 3:02, so I'm still in range of 4. Gotta. Keep. Moving.

Around 21.5 it happened. Had a twinge of a cramp in my IT band. Had a negative thought about that cramp, and BOOM. My brain literally MADE ME walk. That sounds strange, and I wonder if I'd have been more ready I coulda supressed it? Don't know. But, walked for about a quarter mile and knew the farking goal was lost. Started up again with the epic shuffle and held it until mile 25. Was happy with that. Fought through some random cramp-pangs in all kinds of different places, but got through them. Hit the lakefront area at mile 23 at 3:40-ish. I tell ya, that last 3 was the longest three miles I've ever experienced. The hardest thing I've ever done, without question. Continuing to put one foot in front of the other. Walked at one point and saw djdavey. Sorry he saw me walking. Got a water from PeterAK at mile 25. Struggled my way in until the finishers chute.

The finisher's chute was like a blessing. In my opinion, it's kinda bleak and lonely along bradford beach and coming up to the finish. As I started down the queue, I start looking for Denise. Out of the corner of my eye I spot a Boston Finishers jacket. Of course, even in a state of complete exhaustion I notice mundane crap like that. Who's the playah sporting the jacket? WTF, it's Schmize!!! That was a pleasant surprise! Then, outta nowhere on the other side, my son pops out of the crowd and starts running with me. Sweet. Then, he opens his coat and says "look what I got" and it's a freakin' Chocolate Milk!!! I always joke how much I love me some chocolate milk after the long runs. Bingo! He's smiling and randomly holding it just outta my reach, busting up the crowd around the finishers chute. It was awesome. Needless to say, I downed that bad boy in seconds after crossing the finish! Great way to end the race.
What would you do differently?:

I kinda entered this in mid-training program. I have a lot of run base over the last few years, but probably need just MORE training, and more experience at longer distance running. Not done with this distance, for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to speak in coherent sentences to my relay partners, Schmize, family. Got the heck outta there before I got too cold. Had to head to Six Flags to pick up my daughter afterward, so that made for a fun cool-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind was a bit of a problem at the end. Otherwise, training.

Last updated: 2009-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:13:56 | 26.32 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 11:19 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Lakefront Marathon

(Kev resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Kev resized.jpg (69KB - 38 downloads)

2009-10-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2443139

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Subject: RE: Lakefront Marathon

Great job dude and congrats on your first Mary.

2009-10-05 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

first mary with less than full prep????  tougher course than what people say and think???  you handled it all quite well my friend, and no sorry's for me seeing you walking, been there, done that myself!!!  in my mind you rocked it and i am very proud to have witnessed your first of many marys!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-10-05 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good race!  So when's the next marathon? 

2009-10-05 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
GREAT JOB!!!  I love the photo you posted and the story about your son holding the chocolate milk.  Too funny!    I enjoyed reading your race report as well, especially this:  "My brain literally MADE ME walk".  I felt the same way!! There's such a mental component to the marathon game.  But I guess that's what makes it fun.  Good luck on the next one!
2009-10-07 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
...and that's when I realized that morey1 is my hero. Great race report and big congrats on the first mary. BTW, if you happen to discover a magic number of training hours and/or miles that can prepare a person for mile 21, please post it everywhere.

2009-10-08 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Hey, man, great race!  Glad I could help out with the arm warmer idea.  Although, it sounds like you didn't use my other one (with the gatorade bottle   Glad I got to see you finish.  I saw your son pulling you and that was hilarious.  Look at the picture, you look great.  When I saw you, your form and look was much better than 80% of the people around you.

26.2 miles is a long way, and considering you had the base, but really only did 16+ milers this year, and only a couple months out, that is a super solid effort.  Next time with a training plan and a few more 18+ milers, the legs won't feel quite as bad.  Well, maybe they will, but you will be better prepared!

Awesome job completing what most (< .1%) will never acomplish in their lives!
2009-10-08 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

Great job.  I completely understand that feeling of just putting one foot infront of the either.  Amazing accomplishment none the less.  Congrats on the first of many.

2009-10-08 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Stellar job Dan...!!!  Congrats on the first marathon...  those last 3 miles were an azz kicker...  but you looked great coming down the finishing chute...!!!  I saw your son running with you... but didnt realize that he was baiting you on with chocolate milk...  thats great... you may be on to something there...!!! 
2009-10-08 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Studly! I am happy as a clam for you - 'cuz ya kicked that marathon right in the azz, and this after hemmin' and hawwin' for I don't know HOW long Seeing as you enjoyed this experience, I suggest you and I sign up for this thing called an "ironman" where they make you run a marathon at the end!

Back to the run, though, you and I will have to trade notes about miles 23-26...

Congrats, my friend.
2009-10-08 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Congrats Sir! Awesome job.  One word of warning though, don't let the RD find out about your 'chocolate milk assistance' plan.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakefront Marathon Rss Feed