Event Power
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 16m 48s
Overall Rank = 241/349
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/39
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race sight at about 5:10am, giving myself plenty of time to get set up. The time flew by and I knew I was ready.
Swim
  • 39m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really good swim for me this morning. I probably did the best I have at sighting and navigating the course. I got into a pretty good group of swimmers and I was able to draft in a little bit of a triangle that 3 or 4 other guys formed for me;) When I exited the water, everything was perfect the swim felt great, actually refreshing and I felt good as I entered transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Took a little long getting my wetsuit over my ankles, but I have had that problem before with this suit. I cut the opening a little larger a couple of days ago. I might make it on more of an angle so I get a larger opening.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I can't complain about the bike ride I had. I was flying on the straight aways and the downhills and my climbs were good. I slowed down a lot at all of the turns because I was freaked out by the wet roads, gravel etc. (maybe a left over from my crash this summer).

My first loop was great, my second could have been a little better, but overall, I think it was a great effort for me.
What would you do differently?:

I need to start thinking about what ring I should be in. In the past I was exclusively a small ring rider, but recently I have made myself a big ring rider with a lower rpm. I think it might sap too myuch energy from my legs to ride that way.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Great. Entered the run course with plenty of time to get to my goal of finishing under 6 hours.
Run
  • 2h 36m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The first loop on the run went perfectly I was averaging like 9:30 miles and I felt really good. I was well within the time I needed to be to reach my goal. At one point on the first loop I even figured out that I could run just 11:00 miles and still finish under 6.

I met Rudy at mile 7 and we started running together. He is a great guy and he had a great race. Kudos to Rudy.

All of a sudden, at about mile 7 I got a terrible cramp in my hamstring, so bad that I couldn't unbend my leg. It was terrible and the pain was awful.

I was able to walk myself out again, still with plenty of time. I got another cramp at mile 8 (approx.) and at mile 9.5 (approx.) at that point, I knew that breaking 6 hours just wasn't in the cards especially when you throw in the fact that I puked up red Gatorade and Gu at mile 8.5

I knew after all of these issues, today wasn't gonna be the day. I thought back to some of the things Kev told me when I first started this madness 4 years ago. (I'm beginning to realize what an expert he is). One time, he told me that in races as long as HIMs and IMs, our goals will change over the course of the race and we need to adjust our expectations as the conditions or the day change our outlook/ability. He also said to me countless times that triathlon is a paradigm for life in that really getting the most out of it is centered around knowing your limitations and managing your expectations. I used to never really understand what that meant. I'm growing up. It made a lot of sense to me during the run.

I found myself changing my goals based on where I was physically. Eventually, my goal became to just finish.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wish I could put a finger on it, but who knows what caused my problems today.

I guess I have to look at the positives here. I fully believe that I am a better triathlete and athlete in general than I have been in the past. I also believe that, if I got the chance to do this again, at my current level, I would be able to break six hours. I fully believe that I am a sub six hour Half Iron Man, but it just wasn't in the cards today. I think I deserved to break six hours but for whatever reason, my body failed me.

The thing that makes it very tough to swallow is the fact that I have worked so hard and that this race was my focus for the entire year. I think I did all that I could have to put me in the best position to break six hours starting from the end of last season and ending at mile 7.

I'm not sure if time goals should be a focus for me in the future, because, today, it took all of the fun out of it. This was easily the most frustrating day of my triathlon life and for what reason? because I didn't reach a time goal that I had in my mind? I think that's nonsense. I think I need to try to recapture some of what made this sport so enticing four years ago. It isn't a business, and I shouldn't let it be like work. I need to remember that it's about "getting to the start line that matters." I finished a Half Iron Man... for the third consecutive year and, at 34, I am in the best shape of my life. That in itself is an accomplishment.

I will not let this race define me.

Last updated: 2008-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 158/349
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle in Fort Pond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:12 | 56 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Overall: 145/349
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops on a great, scenic course
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:48 | 13.1 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 306/349
Performance: Bad
Course: Two 6.55 mile loops on a really tough course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 2:18 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2009-10-05 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2443649

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk

Triathlon is a paradigm for life in that really getting the most out of it is centered around knowing your limitations and managing your expectations.

That says it all.

Dude, it's like that stupid, corny song:

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to gray
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

Because you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day

You can hit me back with these lame girly lyrics next time I have a bad day   And like your friend says, Triathlon is like life.  In so many situations in life you can be left standing at the alter for no damn good reason at all.  You can do everything right and yet still the outcome is terribly wrong. 

Your training was SPOT ON.  This had nothing to do with you dropping weights for the bike (which I actually think was a good idea).  This is a perfect example of: Life isn't always fair.  If anyone deserved a great race, it was you.  When we're sitting in our rocking chairs 30 years from now, bs'ing about the old days, you'll have the hindsight to know why this happened.  In the meantime, I think your were on to something when you were talking about why you do this sport in the first place. . .  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-10-05 4:51 PM
2009-10-06 5:22 AM
in reply to: #2443649

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk
Mike, it was great meeting you out there today, i am sorry you had a real rough patch on the run. Congrats for sticking it out!!!  You hit the nail on the head, time goals have to change, i learned that after being seriously disappointed after NYC, i have had great races since, even when not feeling as strong as i was for NYC, and have been alot easier on myself afterward, and that translates into success. Hell.... you finished ANOTHER Half Iron Man.... how many can say that???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed