General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 50s
Overall Rank = 388/821
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 16/74
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:15, took a quick shower, had oatmeal and coffee and got dressed and ready to go. I was going to have a banana too but couldn't stomach any more food so I brought it with me. I sipped Gatorade in the car on the drive over. I parked and walked the mile to transition. I was going solo for this race so getting out of the house and to the race site was smooth.

I found my spot in transition and set up my stuff. Then I realized I'd forgotten my bike pump, crap. Luckily, there was a guy near me that had one so I borrowed his to pump up my tires. As I was setting up my friend Chris, that I know from HS and Auburn, found me (haven't seen him since college) so that was nice. I still had plenty of time so I ate my banana and just wasted time not wanting to take off my pants and long-sleeved shirt sooner than necessary so I was in transition until right before it closed.

I found Chris again and we walked down to the beach to the swim start. Then we stood around chatting until it was time for him to line up. Then I found another friend/neighbor that was doing her first race and we waited.
Event warmup:

None. I usually get in the water but there was no way I was getting in the water and then standing around, freezing, until my wave started. My wave started 24 minutes after the first group of guys got in the water.
Swim
  • 10m 26s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew I was not as prepared for the swim as I usually am so I placed myself on the outside, in the middle. That was a good decision because nobody swam over me - in fact, I had to work my way around some women who started in front of me. I did not wear my wetsuit and I'm glad I didn't because once we got in the water it was a comfortable temperature. (I think it was actually warmer than the pool where I swim!)

I have a tendency to go out too fast so I just took my time and did my swim. I tried to keep my stroke consistent so I could get out of the water with plenty left in the tank for the bike and run. This plan seemed to work well because I still came out of the water MOP and ran up the hill to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Swim some more before the race. I haven't swam hardly at all in the last 2 months and while the stroke is there, the speed and endurance is not.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

For this race, the timing mat was at the bottom of the hill so T1 includes the run up the big ass hill and around the entire transition.

Since my bike was racked with all men, they were out on the bike course when I got up there so my bike was easy to find. I think my bike was the only one on that side. Felix yelled at me as I was running by so that was a nice surprise too.

I ran to my bike, did a quick dry-off and threw on a long-sleeved shirt, bike shoes, sunglasses and helmet and was off.

Probably nothing. This is the only race I've ever put on a shirt for but I think that was a good decision.
Bike
  • 40m 54s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I LOVED this bike course, it was awesome. It was easier than the course at Iron Girl and I had a great time. I feel like I actually held back because I kept thinking we were going to hit some of the big hills that we had at IG but we never did and I didn't want to blow up on the run. Once we made the turn on to P'tree Industrial, I knew the rest of the course would be a piece of cake.

I only had one water bottle with me and I took a GU around mile 5.

Push the pace (when properly trained) because I KNOW I can go faster but I am happy with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I'm not sure why this transition was so long, maybe because I had to run all the way to the other end to start the run.

I came in and racked my bike, helmet, sunglasses and shoes off... socks and running shoes on. I grabbed my race belt and hat and put them on as I was running out of T2.

Probably nothing, this transition went pretty smoothly. Maybe try to pick up the pace but it was still decent.
Run
  • 31m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run and I was feeling pretty good. I kept thinking that any minute I'd start to feel like crap and I'd want to walk but I never did. I changed my laces on my shoes from Yankz to the elastic Lock-laces and I like them so much better. (no hot spots -yay!) I also put on my normal running socks and my feet felt great.

This was actually a good run for me but I think I could be faster. I am the only one in the top 30 running 10:00 minute/miles. Since I crapped out on the run in my last 2 races I am happy with this run.

With my lack of running, there isn't much I could have done differently besides train more. I know I sound like a broken record but running is my least favorite of the three but since I felt good during the run it motivates me to try to feel like that every race. (instead of the suckfest I had previously)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and looked for friends and grabbed some food. As soon as transition was open I packed my stuff and bee-lined to the car to get some warm clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training during the last 2 months. It's been a long season and a busy couple of months so I kinda fell off the wagon at the end.

Event comments:

I loved this course. I would definitely do this race again. It was a cool day but not so much that it would deter me from doing it again.

Last updated: 2009-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:26 | 400 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/74
Overall: 0/821
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:54 | 13 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/74
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop course on roads out from Lake Lanier.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:14 | 03.11 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/74
Course: An out and back route, flat to rolling on the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

2009-10-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2443756

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

Yay! Great Race, Mindy!  I'm glad you got a good run to add onto the nice swim and superfast bike. : )

2009-10-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2445435

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good Job Mindy.  Nice race.

2009-10-07 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2443756

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Way to finish the season!  Great bike segment as usual!  Looks like you pushed on the bike just right to have enough gas in the tank for a decent run at the end.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon) Rss Feed