TarFest
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 43s
Overall Rank = 43/374
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 20/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early enough not to have to rush. Had 1/2 cup of coffee and some water. Drove to the race site.
Event warmup:

Ran a mile and a half or so, hit the portajons, then did some brief drills and striders with Steve.
Run
  • 19m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was a 5k, followed an hour later by a 1-miler along the 5k route. My plan was to stick with Steve, who was going to pace me for a sub-20 minute finish in the 5k, saving himself enough energy to post a decent mile time. I would then jog, walk, or crawl the mile, as the case may be.
After the gun went off, I stayed close on Steve's heels for the first 1.5 miles. We did the first mile in 6:07, a little too fast for my 20-minute goal. I tried to hang with him the rest of the race, but he gradually pulled away and ended up finishing about 20 seconds ahead. Which was fine- this was my first sub-20 minute 5k, something that I've wanted to do since I ran 20:24 at a turkey trot 5k last year.
What would you do differently?:

More tempo runs to get used to pacing. Try to run the splits more evenly so I have enough left for a kick at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked/jogged back to the start, where the 1-mile race started shortly after the 5k finish. Ended up running it in 6:19 (14/17 AG, 37/95 OA), which was better than what I had expected leading up the race, but after my 6:07 split, I thought there was a chance I might break 6 minutes. Either way, I entered this race for the 5k- the mile was basically an afterthought- so I was pretty happy with the time.
Grabbed breakfast after the race.

Event comments:

Fun course. Lots of friendly volunteers, nice vibe. Smaller turnout than i had expected.

Last updated: 2009-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:43 | 03.11 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/41
Overall: 41/374
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:07. Didn't get splits for miles 2 and 3.
Course: Basically a loop on both sides of Wilshire Blvd.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes