United States
Lake Royale HOA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 60/182
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/33
Pre-race routine:

I slept less than an hour Friday night. I just can't sleep when I get the jitters before a big day. So, around 3:00am I get out of bed and start my prep. I had all my swim/bike/run gear laid out and made sure to triple check everything. Ate breakfast: applesauce, banana, and a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter. Headed out to Louisburg at 4:15am.
Event warmup:

I arrived at the transition area at 5:00. I was the only one there lol, too early! lol. This first one I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to setup up and observe my surroundings without being in a rush. People finally started to show up and I then started to grab my things to setup. I had about 2 hours to kill before the race started. I made sure my area was setup properly and then just killed some time meeting new people and warming up (light run + stretching).
Swim
  • 09m 37s
  • 500 meters
  • 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

This being my first Triathlon, I was very nervous waiting in that water for the start. I was focused on the first bouy and kept telling myself don't start aggressive. After the first bouy I felt very good. I kept passing a couple of people and wasn't feeling tired. I was sighting every couple strokes and for the first time kept a very straight navigation in open water. As I reached the finish and saw the big finish sign I new this was it and had to give it my all.
What would you do differently?:

Get lessons to improve my stroke and technique. I have no previous lessons on proper form. That could probably make me quicker.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Came out of the water taking off the top half of the wetsuit. As I reached my area I began to take off the rest of the suit. I struggled a lot with the heels and getting the left side over the timing chip. I sat down on the floor to put on my socks and bikes shoes. Thats probably a no no. Put on my helmet and grabbed my bike to start running out. As i take 3 steps leaving my area, I see that ppl had on their bib belt on. I thought "crap, do I need it on for the bike?"...so I went back to get the belt (cost me a couple seconds). Ran all the way to the bike mount and straddled my baby and clipped on perfectly the first attempt. Climbed the hill at the mounting start and began my ride.

More practice removing the wetsuit. Asking beforehand what I need to have when biking, bib or no bib? For my next races I will train with no socks and learn to do the running+jump mount.
Bike
  • 46m 45s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a big scare when I started my ride. As I start leaving the transition area I start to hear a sound coming from my front wheel. I bend down to get a little closer to what seemed to be air leaking out of the tire. I started to panic and thought my race was over. I take a closer look to see that the bib # sticker from my helmet fell into the fork area touching the tire as I rode. I was so relieved, I grabbed the sticker and put it in my tri shorts pocket. Other than that I felt like i ripped the bike course. THe beginning was definitely hilly and tough to climb but I kept telling myself throughout the entire ride that this was it and all my training was for this race, so I better haul ass! I didn't hold back. I kept passing multiple people. There were a few that passed me, they were those bad-ass triathletes with their pointy helmets, whooosh-whoosh like sound coming from behind on their $$$ tri bikes (can't wait to be at that level).

Definitely climb more in my training. Possibly upgrade to a true tri bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Coming into the transition area I felt great. I got to the dismount line, unclipped and ran to my area. I think this T2 time was pretty fast for me. Running shoes were on and I jetted out to the course

not much, I felt I handled this one pretty well.
Run
  • 28m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My weakest discipline! The hills were nasty for me. I just had to keep a very easy pace. People kept passing me left and right, but I just kept my easy pace. Throughout the whole run I power walked about 4 times (10sec each) and almost everyone who passed me gave me encouraging words. My favorite one was...with about a mile left in the course and as I startup up again after my last power walk, I hear somebody behind me coming fast, so I just turn to see and it's a very pretty women, gaining fast. As she passes me (leaving me in the dust) she yells out "C'MON CATCH ME!". I have to say those words were very motivating ;). Even though I couldn't catch her I did pick it up from there. I definitely finished strong!

Train more, a lot more!
Post race
Warm down:

not much, met Scottie and my co-worker Steph and gave them a run down of my whole experience. Oh and that was while I downed like 4 hot dogs :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only having about 2 months of training! Next season is a different story. 1/2 IM here I come!

Event comments:

It was my first. I enjoyed it very much. Thought everything was well prepared and managed.

Last updated: 2009-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:37 | 500 meters | 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 55/182
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit rented from IOS
Course: After the first turn it was a pretty straight path to the finish. I liked this very much.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:45 | 15 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/33
Overall: 34/182
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: DAMN hilly for the first 2.5 miles!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:25 | 03.11 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/33
Overall: 121/182
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly! AAAHHHH!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-06 9:22 AM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Subject: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon

2009-10-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2444939

New user

Subject: RE: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon
Nice work for your first tri.  Great bike.  Advice - 1) join a Masters swim group, 2) incorporate more BRICKs if you haven't already, and 3) do some track work to increase your running speed.
2009-10-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2446597

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Thanks Matt, great advice!

Alan
2009-10-11 9:41 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC
Awsome!  With a begining like this you have a bright future in the sport.  It was nice meeting you and I hope to see you next season.
2009-10-12 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
hot dogs...a great after race treat *shiver*

Nice job on your first alan, next season I expect you to be setting some great PRs..

Edited by halfpint 2009-10-12 7:12 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed