Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-10-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2445061

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Rethinking Life

I want to thank the BT community for all the words of understanding and suggestions.  I think even as I was writing the OP, I knew what I had to do and was maybe looking for a way out.  Aqual velvo racing is not for me, nor is a relay.  I am a triathlete and triathletes swim, bike and run. 

I have no intention of quitting running.  The doctor said my knee should be well enough in a month or two to run and that's exactly what I plan to do.  My plan is to stay on the treadmill until I get some weight off.  I figure the added coushin of the TM will compensate for the added stress of the weight until I get down to better running weight.

I won't say I hate running on the dreadmill but I will say that I love to run outside.  For me, 72% of the joy of running is being outside in the fresh air with the birds and sun and wind and the various smell of nature.  But ya gotta do what ya gotta do so for now, I am Mr Treadmill. 

The surgeon did not give me a number to shoot for but Jenn did in her post.  She said, basically, swing for the fence...go 'all in'.  And Lord knows, nothing fires me up more than going 'all in'!  So that's it, I'm all in.

I'll resurrect this thread when I reach my goal.

Thanks again for all the kind words, suggestions and sharing of experiences.  I'll post the URL for this thead in my BLOG and read it often as it has been very inspriational to me.

Thanks!

~Mike

PS Note to Jake.  I told you I'd run a 4:20 for you buddy and it looks like God has given me the push I needed.

2009-10-07 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I just couldn't read the whole post.  Just the first page then the last.

Your last post is awesome, inspirational and I'll look forward to reading about your progress.

Good choice.

2009-10-07 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2446918

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Rogillio - 2009-10-07 7:14 AM

I won't say I hate running on the dreadmill but I will say that I love to run outside.  For me, 72% of the joy of running is being outside in the fresh air with the birds and sun and wind and the various smell of nature.  But ya gotta do what ya gotta do so for now, I am Mr Treadmill. 

Do you have access to trails, grass, or a golf course? Those are all nice, soft places to run...without the mind numbing boredom of the TM. Also, you might think about supplementing it with pool running. Pool running can be boring (get a waterproof head set, def.)...but it is HIGHLY effective. Plus, since it is easier to do interval training (no pounding), your metabolism gets that benefit, too.

2009-10-07 8:41 AM

Expert

Can I offer some encouragement on improving nutrition. Not unlike a challenging workout, there is a pain threshold that one will get over and then it gets better. What do I mean. Reduce, gradually, sweets, fats, and alcohol (surprising amount of calories there) etc. Once the craving goes away, you won't miss these things. And on the occasion when you do indulge, sugary things are so overpowering, fatty things are so hard to digest and heavy, alcohol knocks you on your a$$. You'll get used to eating clean. My experience, at least. 

Oh and secret #1. Don't keep any crap food in the house. Except chocolate, for when you're PMSing. Oh, well, maybe not the case for you. Good luck. Oh! and secret #2: hang around with thin people (the social contagion theory)

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/07/26/obesity_spreads_to_friends_study_concludes/

Edited by BabsVa 2009-10-07 9:10 AM
2009-10-07 9:06 AM

User image

Master
PA
Rogillio - 2009-10-07 8:14 AM

The surgeon did not give me a number to shoot for but Jenn did in her post.  She said, basically, swing for the fence...go 'all in'.  And Lord knows, nothing fires me up more than going 'all in'!  So that's it, I'm all in.

~Mike

PS Note to Jake.  I told you I'd run a 4:20 for you buddy and it looks like God has given me the push I needed.

it changes everything when you see it as a challenge.  awesome when you flip into a 'oh yes i will' attitude. 

Go big. 

2009-10-07 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Rogillio - 2009-10-07 5:14 AM

I have no intention of quitting running.  The doctor said my knee should be well enough in a month or two to run and that's exactly what I plan to do.  My plan is to stay on the treadmill until I get some weight off.  I figure the added coushin of the TM will compensate for the added stress of the weight until I get down to better running weight.

Thanks!

~Mike

I applaud your can-do attitude. I just encourage you to consider that the greater challenge is to find a path that does not lead you to an early end to your athletic goals. If you go all in too soon, you may find that you are suddenly out of the game, maybe permanently. Better to slowly play yourself back into the game and patiently wait for your all-in moment.

In listening to you I would be concerned that if you couldn't physically challenge yourself at a high level in the future, that depression could set in (been there, done that). Just my opinion.

2009-10-07 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I can relate to the weight issue.  I got my nickname, Bumble Bee from my training buddies.  I was 5'8" and 240 pounds.  On eguy said I was like a bumble bee.  They have these big bodies and tiny wings; by the laws of physics they should not be able to fly, yet they do.

I sort of wore that like a badge of honor.

Then in May 2008 I did Triple T.  Of the 300 people there, I was far and away the biggest guy.  Since it is 3 days, you get to see a lot of everyone.  After about teh 20th person congratulated "such a big guy" on being a tthis event, I decided it was time fo ra change.  Dropped 50 -pounds by the end of the season.

Do you know what happens when you've been training with all of that weight and you suddenly drop it?  It is like taking a turbo diesel from a big truck and dropping it in a family sedan.  You still look a bit like you should not go fast, but now you fly.

More importantly than the racing, you improve your chances of getting to know your grand children and watch your children mature into adults.
2009-10-07 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2447832

User image

Champion
the colony texas
we are in similar boats my friend... after being on different meds for most of this summer my weight has climbed to 245.  I just don't want to run at this weight since I don't think it's the best in terms of getting injured.  

My sister has been on weight watchers [or following their system] over 5 yrs now, and she eats quite a bit. It's choosing what to eat.   It's not about depraiving yourself of anything.  I think being an "all or nothing" type person would make things easier for you to lose the weight. 

You can do this
2009-10-09 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know you are getting lots of good advice but just wanted to share some tidbits....lost 60 pounds in a year and a half at the age of 39-40...first of all it is a marathon, not a sprint.  Don't get on the scale everyday to chaeck your progress, once a week is enough.  Secondly, and this relates to post number one, the scale is not the tell all get all.  Some weeks you may not lose much weight BUT your clothes will be looser.  Do not judge everything by the scale!!!  Third, and this is a hard one, you have to remove the temptations from your life.  If you have crappy food in the house you WILL EAT IT!!  If you have friends who constantly want to hang out in bars and eat bar food you have to remove that part of your life.  Maybe not forever, but you cannot hang out there all the time.  Fourth, you have to plan your food intake whenever possible.  No plan = bad last minute choices.

Ok, enough from me, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and I am REALLY pulling for you.  I enjoy reading your posts and I hope you can be happy and find where you need to be.
2009-10-09 12:09 PM

over come and adapt.........aqua bikes out yhe ying!!!!!!
2009-10-09 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
I didn't take time to read all of the posts so forgive me but.....HTFU.... isn't that a term used pretty frequently around here.  Not to be harsh, but quit feeling sorry for yourself and get back at it.  You obviously have the determination to finish an ironman, so can't you get yourself into a position to loose some weight.  Last I knew, you didn't have to starve yourself as long as you were burning calories and keep exercising. 

Don't take the easy path and just say "I'm done because the doctor said so".  Who is he to decide what is right for you??  Only you can make that decision, so you are at a crossroads my friend.  Which path are you going to take??  How are the people around you going to react to your decision??  What kind of legacy are you remembered for??  HTFU.....and get back after it!!!!

2009-10-09 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

First thoughts were "Never forget your beginners spirit" and it mostly boils down to what you truly want and how bad you want it.
Losing weight is not easy but neither is watching a race wishing it was you out there too!

I guess I am biased, but Weight Watchers helped me lose 22lbs  it is not just for women 
It is not a diet as diets = deprivation = binges that is why diets fail.
You learn portion control, no special foods to buy, it works.

good luck to you and with your journey  

2009-10-09 2:50 PM

Expert
Don't mean to sound nasty or anything...

But don't be weak!

You have finished an ironman, so surely you have mental toughness, make some lemonade out of those lemons.
2009-10-09 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Glad to see your not quitting on running, especially if its something you love. There are so many people on here who have lost untolds amount of weight you can be one of them too. Im not one for regimented diets, WW, south beach, etc. I quit drinking but 2 beers a week and limited my calorie intake. yesterday I had a coke and a milky way for lunch. I paid for it being hungry later but I wanted it and i was able to eat it. GL to you man.
2009-10-09 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thought of another thing: have you looked into Pose or Chi running? Maybe working on running technique can help you keep running with less injury.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rethinking Life Rss Feed  

of 3