Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Any suggestions re: best first BC triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-07 8:42 PM

New user

Vancouver
Subject: Any suggestions re: best first BC triathlon

Hi all,

I am looking to pick my very first triathlon event, for somewhere in BC (I am located in the lower mainland but will travel) not before June, 2010, just so that I have a concrete goal to work toward (I am, at best, a complete newbie).  I am optimistically aiming for an olympic distance event as my first, though I recognize the sense in going first for a sprint, so I would be interested in any thoughts on events involving either distance.

I am not terribly choosy or high-maintenance about what I am looking for. Some of my shopping list of criteria:

1. probably will not have a wetsuit for swimming and I shriek like a small child when exposed to frigid cold water (but I do want an open water swim, not a pool-based event);

2. unless I seriously step up the level of my embezzeling efforts at work, there is the chance that I will be looking to compete on a mountain bike; and

3. most importantly from my perspective, the possibility or perhaps the probability that there will be other wide-eyed confused-looking newbies instead of just seasoned-pros would be really beneficial just from a psych perspective

Other optional criteria (I am a reasonable fellow and prepared to bend on some of these):

4. no huge sharks or man-eating octopi for the swim portion, if possible;
5. an all downhill bike course would be sweet; and of course
6. latte stops strategically placed on the running course.

Any suggestions about which BC sprint or olympic event best suits a timid, cheap, possibly shrieking first-timer? Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by tbeanerman 2009-10-07 8:45 PM

2009-10-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2448745

User image

Subject: RE: Any suggestions re: best first BC triathlon
I do hope you get a sense of humour before you post here again. Your serious attitude will get you nowhere on this forum.

That said, welcome! We've all been there. My first tri was on a mountain bike and in the ocean (high shriek factor).. so I know where you're coming from. I don't know many races on the mainland, but if you find that you want to come over to the island or into the interior, there are a couple of awesome first-timer races that'll be good for you.

The Tri of Compassion in Victoria (sprint) is a pool swim with a relatively flat bike course. Lots of newbies at that one. The Apple Triathlon in Kelowna (sprint and olympic) is a lake swim (ie., no sharks or octopi.. maybe an ogopogo, but you'll be lucky if you see him). You don't need a wetsuit (in fact, many years have been wetsuit illegal because the water was too warm)... and the big benefit about this race is that the roads are completely closed. While lots of very good triathletes do this race, there are lots of newbies too.

Can't help you with the lattes though. Been trying to find a race with that perk (ha! see what I did there?) myself.......

Edited by Vaiza 2009-10-07 8:54 PM
2009-10-07 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

You can try Iron Mountain.  

http://www.ironmountaintriathlon.com/

It's a fairly warm lake swim, although I wimped out in the swim.  The bike is downhill (after you crest the uphills of course!) and there are plenty of mountain bikes on the course.

UBC runs a great pool swim tri in May this year.  I really suggest jumping in there, even for the sprint event.

Edited by daijoubu 2009-10-07 10:44 PM
2009-10-07 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I did the Sri Chinmoy in Victoria for the first time this year. It's an Olympic distance, open water. This year was a non wetsuit swim (which raised my heart rate by 30 bpm the entire week before the race) and the water was lovely ... on the bike, while there are a lot of them, the hills are all down (unless you're riding up them), and the run course is really kind (truly, around Elk/Beaver lakes, trail all the way, no real hills). And there are a lot of kind people who will hand you small cups of liquid. Unfortunately, I didn't see any lattes but the Gatorade was quite refreshing. The Sri is an excellent event for first-timers; everyone is SO supportive and friendly ... no scary sea monsters (unless you count the band of WEEEEEEEEEDS just offshore but you leave them behind quickly, just close your eyes and flail). Highly recommend this; first weekend in August.
2009-10-07 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2448898

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I also was going to suggest Tri of Compassion here ... PHENOMENAL for first-timers.

;-)
2009-10-07 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2448902

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I agree about the Tri of Compassion ... have done that one two years running (lol) ... but it's not open water ... it is, however, an excellent event. I did it on a mountain bike the first year.

2009-10-08 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=30061

I'm keying on the sprint tri above as my first next year, even without the latte stops
2009-10-09 12:27 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Delta Tri. Sprint. Flat. Newbie Friendly. Good looking chicks in tight clothes. Cheap. Early in the season. Very fun race. jeng help run the race!
2009-10-09 1:30 AM

New user

Vancouver

thanks for all the responses, very useful.

I am changing my mind about the open water swim for my first event and about starting with a sprint rather than an olympic, especially after reading various stuff on this site, so both the UBC sprint in mid-May and the Tri of Compassion sprint early July sound perfect.

Perhaps Iron Mountain for an olympic event (I used to swim out in the nearby Hayward Lake and I believe also Whonnock Lake in my youth, though this time I will have to do it without drinking beer at the same time - I assume something like that may be in the rules).

The Delta event is in April which is just a tad too early for me, as I plan on still being sluggish and lazy in April (though no doubt I will be sleek, aerodynamic and speedy by mid-May, I'll bet).

Edited by tbeanerman 2009-10-09 1:32 AM
2009-10-09 2:32 AM
in reply to: #2451057

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
tbeanerman - 2009-10-08 11:30 PM

thanks for all the responses, very useful.

I am changing my mind about the open water swim for my first event and about starting with a sprint rather than an olympic, especially after reading various stuff on this site, so both the UBC sprint in mid-May and the Tri of Compassion sprint early July sound perfect.

Perhaps Iron Mountain for an olympic event (I used to swim out in the nearby Hayward Lake and I believe also Whonnock Lake in my youth, though this time I will have to do it without drinking beer at the same time - I assume something like that may be in the rules).

The Delta event is in April which is just a tad too early for me, as I plan on still being sluggish and lazy in April (though no doubt I will be sleek, aerodynamic and speedy by mid-May, I'll bet).

Definitely do the Tri of Compassion here in Victoria ... if you're sleek, aerodynamic and speedy in mid-May, you'll be a blur in July. Just make sure you slow down so they can read your number ... I think starting with a Sprint is a great idea. Especially on a mountain bike. It's kinda like dragging a pumpkin around the course with you. (I don't know why.)
2009-10-09 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

The Delta tri usually has beautiful weather... well except that once (sorry misscullen), and the UBC tri is hit an miss. But it seems that they changed the UBC tri date. The first year I raced it (2003), it was snowing!

My vote is for Delta. Flat, fast, roads are closed for the bicycle leg and there's usually good looking chicks in tight clothes.

2009-10-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2451830

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

The UBC tri is rescheduled this year because of Vancouver's colossal waste of money known as the 2010 winter Olympics.

2009-10-09 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada
Thanks JenG, I've added Delta to my schedule for next year. Next year it's on 24th of April, 2010.

http://www.deltatriathlon.ca/

2009-10-09 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2451895

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-09 9:34 PM

2009-10-10 2:02 AM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Another really good tri that seems to be missed by most BTers is the Langley tri it tri in June and its the end of June if you want the first one in June this is a good bet.

2009-10-11 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2452656

New user
I did the one in Langley (http://www.trigeeks.ca/walnut_grove_triathlon.htm) last year as my first triathlon and it was great. Highly recommend it.
2009-10-11 12:35 PM

2009-10-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2453836

New user

Vancouver
DrLeah - 2009-10-11 10:35 AM

not that tbeanerman is being picky or anything ...

I cannot see that I have been too picky, although in looking back at my original post, I see I forgot to add as an essential mandatory requirement that there be absolutely no wind, except at my back (naturally I will want this guaranteed in writing ahead of time).

I have become so much smarter and well-informed since my original post, and have decided that a pool-based swim in an early season sprint event may be best for me, and will help me get in shape (physically and experience-wise) for a June or July open-water olympic event.    

This will also have the added benefit of letting the media get a sense of my awesomeness as exhibited at an early event so that they can consider sending their top reporters out to my first olympic-length event later in the summer.
2009-10-11 2:01 PM

New user

Vancouver
Thanks for the additional suggestions, much appreciated.

Any thoughts about the Salmon Arm triathlon (with its altered event sequence of swim-run-bike)?  I read the one race report that has been posted, and would be interested in any additional thoughts.

My sister lives in Salmon Arm and accordingly I have some interest in that one, mostly from the perspective of it being within convenient medivac distance from my sister's where I can recuperate from the inevitable race-related injuries (not just the expected seriously-bruised ego, but also possibly less serious injuries as well).
2009-10-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2451067

New user

Vancouver

CeeCee - 2009-10-09 12:32 AM 
... if you're sleek, aerodynamic and speedy in mid-May, you'll be a blur in July. Just make sure you slow down so they can read your number ...

Yikes, good point!   Maybe I'll just try to use larger numbers.

2009-10-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2453903

2009-10-14 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2448898

Master
Seattle, California
CeeCee - 2009-10-07 8:51 PM I did the Sri Chinmoy in Victoria for the first time this year. It's an Olympic distance, open water. This year was a non wetsuit swim (which raised my heart rate by 30 bpm the entire week before the race) and the water was lovely ... on the bike, while there are a lot of them, the hills are all down (unless you're riding up them), and the run course is really kind (truly, around Elk/Beaver lakes, trail all the way, no real hills). And there are a lot of kind people who will hand you small cups of liquid. Unfortunately, I didn't see any lattes but the Gatorade was quite refreshing. The Sri is an excellent event for first-timers; everyone is SO supportive and friendly ... no scary sea monsters (unless you count the band of WEEEEEEEEEDS just offshore but you leave them behind quickly, just close your eyes and flail). Highly recommend this; first weekend in August.

x2.  The Sri is the best race on the island IMO. 
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Any suggestions re: best first BC triathlon Rss Feed