McFarland Aquatic Center
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 19s
Overall Rank = 4/66
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am, had some oatmeal, bagel with cream cheese and jelly, banana, powered gatorade, coffee, and water.
Event warmup:

Did a 10 minute bike ride and a 5 minute run. Couldn't get in the pool quick enough to do a warmup.
Swim
  • 07m 1s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't start for 80 minutes after the race started. Had to have half a bagel to tide me over - which put a weight in my gut. Started off well-paced and then picked it up after I warmed-up. Last 4 laps I finally pulled away. So, I was first out in my wave of 11. I was doing about a 7:25 450 yds during training, so I was pretty happy with this effort, but felt I could have given just a bit more.
What would you do differently?:

Try to warm up before hand.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Did two transitions - one inside to dry off and get on two shirts, and then another about 75 yds away to get on my helmet and shoes. It went smooth and as well as it could have considering the colder weather.

Park my bike closer to the exit of the pool since you can start riding immediately.
Bike
  • 48m 34s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Had two gels and a bottle of gatorade endurance and a bottle of water. Probably could have pushed myself a bit more, but I'm always afraid of bonking on the run. Was "sluggish" the first 20 minutes. It felt like I had a rock in my gut the whole ride, but felt my energy level was down in that first 20 minutes.

Push myself a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Nice - since there's no mount/dismount line I could ride my bike all the way to my transition spot (up against the track fence). I used the zip-pulls on my new shoes and it helped.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 2.84 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off great - to my best tri-run ever. Was surprised at my energy and how "easy" the run was going. Halfway through I got a horrible side cramp or stitch. I finally had to walk because I couldn't breathe in without hurting horribly. I walked about 1 1/2 minutes, had some water that I brought with me and felt good enough to run again. It was a blessing in disguise as the rest of the run went awesome. I did not have a gel on the run even though I brought one since I thought I may have "overeaten" on the bike which cause my side stitch. But, I think I'm going to chalk it up to not breathing into my gut and possibly the 2nd gel on the bike which was caffeinated.

If I could have kept running I may have had a sub-8/mile run. Darn - wasn't my best tri-run ever.

Maybe not have a caffeinated gel on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and chatted with John (rc8vatr).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was a bit bored on the bike, but could have pushed on the bike a bit more. I will also have to rethink moving my caffeinated gel back to the run instead of the bike.

Event comments:

A fun small-town race with no official transition area and few participants. Sprint course + 110 participants starting over 1 hour 20 minutes = a very sparse field when on the bike and run. It was almost like a regular workout with volunteer support, which isn't bad because you can still test yourself and you get to mingle with all sorts of people afterwords. I would do this again as a great season-ender.

Last updated: 2009-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:01 | 400 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 0/66
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:34 | 15 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: I know the course well. Generally flat with a couple of small climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:44 | 02.84 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Course: Neighborhood streets. Mostly flat with a couple of climbs. No water stations on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes