United States
26F / -3C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 549/887
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 37/63
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 - got dressed in multiple layers as it was snowing and windy and cold. Had 1/2 bagel with peanut butter, 1 banana, and 1 bottle of water. Drove the 45 minute drive, picked up our packets, and got on the shuttle bus.
Event warmup:

It was freezing and we had to wait for at least 50 minutes to the start. Used the porta-potties a couple of times, kept drinking water, and ate 1/2 a luna bar. There was a lodge at the start that was packed full, so we hid down around a stone wall that kept us out of the wind. Got in the masses with about 5 minutes to go
Run
  • 4h 15m 57s
  • 26.34 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The temperature wouldn't have been so bad had it not been windy. My hands started sweating at 1st, so I took off my gloves. It didn't take long before my hands were freezing. With the ankle/foot issues I had been having, I was quite pleased with the outcome. I don't know that I could have finished much faster had I left Kyla when she initially slowed down. I think I would have run out of steam earlier.
What would you do differently?:

I might have pushed it more, I wanted to finish under 4 hours. If I could have changed the weather - I would have.
Post race
Warm down:

It was so cold that I did walk, but I got cold FAST. My muscles IMMEDIATELY tightened into knots. I just kept moving (slowly) until Kyla finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold.

Event comments:

The post-race food was not good for free. They did have food to purchase in a tent outside, but when we went to the table (not knowing that athletes also had to purchase) we didn't have money, so we went in the civic center instead to warm up. We did drive home after - which was LONG and painful. But I am glad to sleep in my own bed tonight. After a warm bath, I feel a bit better, and I just may be able to walk tomorrow. Only 1 blister!

Last updated: 2009-08-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:15:57 | 26.34 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 175/63
Overall: 4549/887
Performance: Below average
The distance is per garmin. My running partner had an upset stomach, and I stayed with her for 6-7 miles at a slower pace (10's and 11's) and around mile 19, I had to leave her. My plantar fasciitis was starting to flare and I needed to lengthen my stride. My 1st mile after that was under 9! Too fast though.
Course: It is billed as flat and fast. It starts on a 1 mile downhill road to a trail. At 25 miles, you come out of the woods onto blacktop and wind around to the civic center in Ashland. The trail is supposed to be packed limestone. There were PLENTY of areas that were like running on a loose sandy beach. There was a lane usually that was packed, but we were running side-by-side for awhile and we also passed a lot of people back and forth. I thought too that there were several areas that we went uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes