Setup
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 34m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/48
Pre-race routine:

interesting morning. Forgot my transition towel and both sets of goggles...had a bowl of cereal at home and coffee on the way down to venue.
Event warmup:

pulled on the wetsuit and dod some stretching and did a small test lap in the water...it felt cold at first but I knew it'd be good later.
Swim
  • 43m 24s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once again, I had the panic breathing. I ran in and I don't know if it was just me, but the guys in my group were pretty gangster. I caught elbows, was pushed off of and swam over. 1st half I ended up dead last...and I still couldn't settle down my breathing...right before rounding the far buoy, I was asked if I was ok. I guess I looked like I was floundering...I rounded the far buoy and i calmed and got my strokes back. 1..2..3..breathe...1..2..3..breathe. I gained. I saw a group of purple caps and it was my goal to pass them- like hell I was going to be last!!! I drafted off the passing yellow and sure enough I succeeded. I even passed a white cap! I felt proud. Exiting the swim I did the disorientation walk and noticed my looney mom in the crowd madly going at it with the cowbell...i got a chuckle and trotted to T1 as I half stripped.
What would you do differently?:

pre-swim more to clam me down more. Practice more distance suit swims. Harden up and throw elbows of my own and swim to compete not swim to complete.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

i spent a little time in T to get my legs back from the swim. Shoes went of without a foot washoff. Run to mount went well...i was T'ed close to bike exit.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 53s
  • 30 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Flying mounted ok...and I was off...I started off in shakey shape, as I was still adjusting from the swim, which took a lot out of me. I immediately consumed my 1 bottle of Accelerade. Felt good to hydrate.I picked up pace and was hitting a good 23mph in the flats and passed many. I decided that with the iffy run coming up that I would take training bud, Harold's advice and just get it on the bike. So I sprinted the downhills and blasted the climbs. On one downhill I was hitting about 34mph and nailed a bump. This bump ejected all my hydration and in a panic attempt to catch the bottle mid air...I dislodged all my gels and they also slid off the road behind me. Sunk, I powered on and just thought to myself that i had just placed a noose around my neck.I had no hydration (finally nabbed a bottle on the handout) and all my power/ recovery gels for the bike and run were now gone. I decided this was it. The bike is the only thing that is going to carry me through this race as I absolutely sucked at the swim and the run is probably going to kill me now. So I just got on it. Standing sprint climbs passing many in the ups and downs. At one point i actually drifted my 2nd to last turn. Came in too hot and the rear broke loose in the sand; good thing I'm used to this sort of action from my car racing days and countered through it. I came to dismount with feet out of shoes and poorly ejected off my bike and into my trot into T. Some guy was fumbling things at T entrance and infuriated me as he blocked my entrance and messed up my forward motion.

store nutrition differently.secure my electrolytes better/ maybe aeromount bottle
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I couldnt find my Tspot!!! I was lost..normally i lok for my carolina blue adidas bag...it was no where! I walked towards the rack which i thought was mine and i couldnt see it...I was in too big of hurry to go check the post numbers, i guess. i ran with bike to the next row looking for my bag...nope...ran back and a Tworker yelled out "what number?!" and I responded 341!!! and this guy in front of my yelled "right here man" he was sitting on the ground basically all in front of my stuff and puttin on shoes and stuff...ugh...loss of time, something i didnt need. I brake racked the bike and unrolled my "condom-rolled" socks on and slipped the shoes on. I had no more nutition so i just grabbed the rest of the water off my bike and ran out.

pay more attn to rack numbers instead of dependin on my bog sighting.
Run
  • 1h 10m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

ugh! I exited T2 with a spirit of no other. I had spent a lot on the swim and giving it all i had on the bike. I was done. No nutrition, my spirit was down. I knew I had a feat ahead of me. I began a nice 9 min pace attacking like I normally do. I made my 1st turn and my calf knotted, literally..i yelped like a little dog getting spanked. I pulled off the side and thumbed it out best I could...enough to continue at least..I've never leg knotted before, so this was a first! So i approached my 1st hill. it wasnt much of a hill but enough to feel that I had no energy to attack it! My spirit was there to get it done, my mind was stepping into it like it should, but my legs, quads to be exact had nothing left. no kick, no push.I slowed to a trot and then to a walk...God this is going to be hell. I shuffled trying to get a strategy...what do i do here? so i sped walked the hills. I was basically goin the same speed trying to run it, so i decided to speed walk them.It wasnt the fastest of things but was my only option. I hit the first water station, i did it, yes...i drank the Heed *shiver* lots of it. and water. I needed electros so it was my only option. And honestly, I felt that the Heed didn't give me any kick. I continued this process of shuffling up hills and sprinting down them and chuggin Heed the whole way...Around Mile 3/4 I'm tapped on the shoulder as Ginger goes flying by to win her AG...damn her...lol. (No good job, it was actually uplifting to recognize someone I knew near me). I trot to mile 5 and i hear the announcer. I think to myself well...you did the best you could and kept my composure and chugged to the finish flex striding for the camera man and giving a meh look at my on-looking parents as i crossed the finish.

Have reserve nutrition. Throw out these saucony racers I've had for 2 seasons. wear my knee brace.
Post race
Warm down:

light stretching. water and a flat pepsi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nutrition. swim prep.

Event comments:

The run can be questionable...it was damn hilly for a run. i live in a hilly area and practice in hills so, I'm not just whining. BIke was great...the hills int he end really made it challenging.

Last updated: 2009-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:24 | 1500 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/48
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: full Orca S1
Course: triangle loop to left
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:53 | 30 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/48
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: fast with rollers and some nice climbs in the end
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:24 | 06.21 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/48
Performance: Bad
Course: hills hills hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-10 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2009-10-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2453483

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Sorry you had a bad day and lost your nutrition on the bike. That sux! Way to tough out a hard race. Did you find some goggles to use?

2009-10-11 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2453590

User image

Master
Raleigh
keyone - 2009-10-10 7:26 PM Sorry you had a bad day and lost your nutrition on the bike. That sux! Way to tough out a hard race. Did you find some goggles to use?

thx. yea, ginger (who was a rack down) offered me her spare but i used jennifer's spare set...this is what happens to me when i dont have my race packet before the start day...lol. i still had fun with the distance experience, the only real hard part to me is setting tempo in the swim. the bike, im a natural and the run will come with my marathon experience (full mary next month!)
2009-10-11 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2453645

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Nice way to gut it out Scottie. I see you had the same experience as me on the run, not a good one Frown
I agree that I thought the run was quite tough, it was very up down up down. All pre race talk was about the bike and I did not expect the run to be as tough as it was.
Get you knee ok and have a great ATT and OBX
2009-10-11 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Good job Scottie. I have yet to talk to someone who felt strong on that run. I think them reversing the route made it much harder- you come off the bike and immediately get a lot of hills. Last year you started over the dam wall so had a mile to get your legs under you. I suffered mightily on the run as well. We made it though! :-) Sorry about your hydration/ejection issues. Premature ejection is not good! :-)
2009-10-11 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Good to see you yesterday.  Your transition times looked good!  That was a tough course!

2009-10-11 9:37 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC

Nice job finishing dispite the little troubles.  Pinehurst is challenging, cool in the beginning, hot in the end, and long and hilly in between.  It was nice meeting you at Lake Royal, hope to see you next season if not sooner!

2009-10-12 4:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I was there this weekend too and wow...what a challenging course.  I think so it's been the most challenging on in the NCTS! 

Great job...the hills were horrible!!
2009-10-12 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Seems like we had a similar day. When we rode the course the previous weekend did you see we where I dropped my riding skills?
2009-10-12 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
I wanted to say something when I tapped you on the shoulder but was hurting so badly that all I could muster was a feeble wave! 

Dang..I should have pointed out my dark green swim cap on the end of our bike rack to find our row!  I usually put out a baby powder line but with most of the NCTS races on grass it melts away.  

Good for you for hanging in there on what I feel was a very very tough day.  I hurt all over.  Nice to see you guys at the race!!
2009-10-12 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
damn that bump! Bummer you had to lose all your nutrition. Big props to you bud, oly distance is no joke. I can't wait for my first oly.

Congrats my dude!

2009-10-12 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Way to gut it out Scottie!  Major bumber about the nutrition.  I had that happen once and so now I have gels stashed EVERYWHERE!!  I spend more time in T2 dumping gels out of my running shoes than I do putting them on.  Too bad there wasn't any nutrition on the run course. Sounds like there should have been. And I agree- HEED does nothing!  Great job on your first TOUGH olympic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed