USA Productions
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 59m 58s
Overall Rank = 253/645
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 545a, had a banana and bagel, and out the door with my wife (she ran it too!) at 610a. Got to the site around 645a and had no troubles. Nice cool 55 degree morning and overcast/foggy. Downed a GU when we got there.
Event warmup:

Stood in the LONG lines for the bathroom and stretched. Luckily they started the race about 15min late. This was the first year of this race and it showed.
Run
  • 1h 59m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I left the house without my watch (by mistake) and my wife was wearing the garmin. I didn't think I was in good enough shape, so my plan was to run the first 7-8mi around a 9min pace then stop and walk and wait for my wife to catch up (she usually does a 10min pace) then run the last 4-5mi together.

I started the race well and weaved through some traffic in the beginning but it quickly opened up. Since I didn't have my watch I could not pace myself. So, I ran at a good pace. Around mile 3 there was this girl who was running about my same pace (and she was wearing a garmin) so I asked her how we were doing and she said around an 8:45. We ended up talking and chatting and kept each other motivated for the next 5 miles pushing the pace! She was a great help and I thanked her after the race. I don't know if I could have kept that pace otherwise. Around 8.5mi I was still feeling good but told her to go on and that I was going to slow down a bit. I did and in the end she beat me by 1min 40sec.

I was trying to decide if I should stop and wait for my wife but knew I was running really well and wanted to keep it up. My wife and I talked before the run and told her to look for me around mi 7-8 but if she does not see me then just keep going b/c that means I was feeling good and continued. So I pushed on. Around mi 10 (all the way to the finish) it just started pouring so I ran the last 3mi totally soaked and in 55 degree temps. Not fun but I still felt pretty good. I had no clue my time when I crossed as I could not find a timer (it was pretty disorganized). I then got my medal and timing chip removed and headed back out onto the course to look for my wife. It was then that I saw the timer and it said 2:02:04.

I couldnt believe it, i thought that I might have gotten under 2hrs!! My goal was 2:10-2:15!! I did my first half mary earlier this year in 2:!7.

I then went about 1/4mi out on the course and waited for my wife and then ran the finish with her. She came in at 2:16!

I didn't know my results until just know and checked and made it under 2hrs by only 2secs!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Don't forget my watch! I think I am finally learning how to properly eat (snacked on gels and sharkies) and drink during a race so I have enough energy throughout. I felt really good most of this race and would not change too much if anything.
Post race
Warm down:

After race stuff was pretty sparse (not sure if it was due to the rain or cold or organizers). They didn't even have water ready for you at the finish. I had to go hunt it down. There was no snacks, fruit, etc. Only thing I could find was two local restaurant vendors giving out small samples of food...some baked ziti and some gumbo. Did some light stretching and then quickly went to the car to change out of the wet cold clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmmm, not much I can think of right now.

Event comments:

I have a hard time complaining about this race since I did so well, but there were some glaring issues.

1) Not enough bathrooms at the start of the race (there were huge lines).
2) Race started 15-20min late.
3) There were ZERO (as in none!) bathrooms the entire half mary route. Not an issue for me but by wife had to run into one she saw at a construction site! Guys were running into the woods to go. They promised 4 on the route.
4) Volunteers were overwhelmed at the water stations
5) Not enough water stations (they claimed there was 7...which is not a whole lot for 13mi of running). At one point I ran 4mi without seeing one.
6) Thanks to the vendors that did show up, but the lack of any post race activities was very disappointing.

Thats about it. I hope they improve this for next year b/c it was a fun (although extremely hilly) course through a very scenic part of Austin. The volunteers that were there were very nice and doing their best and putting up with the rain and cold. The cops did a great job marking and protecting us on the route.

I am still riding a high as I never would have thought I could've pulled off a sub 2hr run!

Last updated: 2009-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:58 | 13.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 253/645
Performance: Good
Course: Very windy and HILLY course through west Austin neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-11 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Run Austin Run Half Marathon

2009-10-12 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2454059

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Run Austin Run Half Marathon

AWESOME!  Sub 2 hour Half!  You rock Tim!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Austin Run Half Marathon Rss Feed