Greater Hartford Marathon Foundation
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 39m 43s
Overall Rank = 452/2287
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 31/151
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30. Showered and light stretching. Breakfast of granola cereal sprinkled with Perpetuum, half banana, water and G2. Made sure to get bowels cleared. Went to see if I could still pay for cell phone updates at the XL center, but they had already closed out and were at the event site. Felt a place on my toe that might get sore so covered with bandaid before donning shoes. Put on number and D-style timing chip. Pinned number on shirt, but still carried pouch with two gels and electrolyte caps. Mixed up some Perpetuum paste and put it in disposable tube to take at mile 11/12. Stretched like my regular pre-run. Another quick bowel check. Put sweatshirt over shirt to stay warm, left room at 7:30.
Event warmup:

Had hotel close to event, so went outside to put some stuff in car. Found it was warm enough to ditch sweatshirt in car. Walked to starting line to see lines of people at the portas. Found a bush near a building to relieve myself behind, then turned it over to the next guy. Jumped up and down to get the blood flowing, then tucked in behind the 3:30 pace man.
Run
  • 3h 39m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to track the 3:30 pace man but he went too fast, so ran on my own and did very well staying on pace for 3:30 or better. Legs did not hold up, but no injuries, just a gradual siezing up, and ceasing to perform. Still for my first marathon, I feel good about qualifying for Boston. I now know what they mean by "the wall". I'll be smarter next time.
What would you do differently?:

Train at least one more 20+ miler. I only did two. Eat less the weekend before. Probably had to carry a couple of extra pounds.
Post race
Warm down:

Put on the foil blanket, drank some water and walked to the food tent to get a plate of food. Ate mostly fruit. Then proceeded to the hotel room, warmed by a blanket and MaryBeth's arm around me, to shower and get some dry clothes on. Stretched a little in the shower. Went back to claim my Harpoon, only to find out they ran out! Went to Mayor Mike's to quaff a couple, with water, before heading out of town.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. I followed Higdon's training plan targeted for 8 min miles. But didn't start til after Black Fly, so I had to start in week 4 and cut out one of the 20-milers. I think that hurt me. I think I need to follow a better nourishment plan, too. All-in-all, I am happy though.

Event comments:

They ran out of food for the pre-race pasta dinner the night before, and ran out of the good post-race food...and beer! The Hartford fans were great, with lots of people along the way cheering us on and live music every mile or two. I think I lost some reserve energy playing air guitar going by a couple of bands.

Thanks to my brother Walt, and sis-in-law Kathy for being there to cheer me on. Thanks to Craigy who came all the way from Montana the weekend before to give me a mental boost. And special thanks to MaryBeth for supporting me throughout the training and the event itself, even when I was whining about the 20-milers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:39:43 | 26.2 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/151
Overall: 452/2287
Performance: Average
Held avg 8 min pace as planned thru mile 22, then started to falter. There were a couple of hills that I had to walk. When the 3:40 pace man went by, I latched on and followed him in. It was a struggle, but I finished with an avg 8:23 pace.
Course: Very flat, except near highway on/off ramps, over a bridge and over a highway, and oh yes, the entrances/exits to two riverside park pathways. Really felt those hills at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes