Disney World Sports
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 46s
Overall Rank = 3123/4013
Age Group = W 40-44
Age Group Rank = 225/308
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Ran over to WWoS to pick up race packet, skeddadle over to Epcot to park, catch the bus back to WWoS for the start.

Disney was clever and moved the start line PRIOR to the long street of bushes...so I spent the hour pre-race waiting in line for the porta-potty. I was still in line when the race started. Fortunately, I made it to the start only 3 min after the gun.
Run
  • 1h 24m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't really have a 'goal' for this race going in. While standing in line for the porta-pottys, I talked with a girl who hasn't been speed-training either and said her goal was to beat her slowest 10k time. I thought about that, but decided I'd be happy with anything under 1:30. I knew I'd not get anywhere NEAR by 1:21 PR.

Sometime during the first mile, I decided my goal would be to RUN the entire race and not stop to walk at all. No walking up hills, on-ramps and NO walking in aid stations. I wanted to see if I could do it, and that would make me feel like I'd made progress even tho my time wouldn't be a PB.

I finished the first mile with 13:30 pace, thought that felt easy and that it would be a great day...then I peeked at my HRM, 160! I usu keep runs to below 155...cuz after my HR climbs that high, I usu have to walk some. I slowed the pace a teensy bit, but my HR stayed up there.

It was tough, and I had to FORCE myself...especially up that hill going into Epcot and during an aid station where I had someone just STOP in front of me....but I made it and managed a 12 pace through the chute.

I was certain I was going to puke, but I didn't...whew.

My HR average overall was 163...who knew I could push that kind of effort?
What would you do differently?:

Find other bushes.
Post race
Warm down:

Sampled all the foods...somehow, salmon with lentil and beef empenadas didn't really seem appealing at 9:30 AM, but the straweberry shortcake was awesome!

Event comments:

This was a fun race...I'm sad to see this one go.

Last updated: 2009-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:46 | 06.21 miles | 13m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 225/308
Overall: 3123/4013
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]